DISREGARD!!! Could Tesla adjust the "EST" prices favorably when the configurations open?

George Costanza

First Name
George
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Model X Plaid, Rivian R1S
Occupation
Latex Salesman, Vandelay Industries
EDIT: Please stop responding to this thread. Every one of you is missing the context. I had asked this question on the day after the CT delivery during which Musk was too afraid/ashamed/slimy/whatever (I don't care) to announce the price. After the event, the website went live with prices as ESTIMATES, something Tesla had never done during the past deliveries of the Dual Motor S, the X, the 3, and the Y. As a result, I INCORRECTLY and OPTIMISTICALLY thought that perhaps the CT ESTIMATES were just that--estimated prices, and that once Tesla actually allowed the first customers to configure (not 1 or 2 or 30 years from now), the ACTUAL, not EST., prices might be cheaper. I know now that that was unfounded wishful thinking on my part. If anything, Tesla actually increased the prices even more -- a 100% increase instead of the 60% increase for those of us who don't care for anything in the bundle or the Foundation Series decal.

Like the vast majority of the responders to the poll in this forum, I am disappointed with about 60% increase in the prices between 2019 announcement and 2023 launch.

As you may have noted, the Cybertruck prices are quoted as "EST. 60,990", "EST. 79,990" and "EST. 99,990". I am wondering if the "EST." could be a way for Tesla to adjust the actual prices favorably towards the pre-order holders based on the obvious backlash (going by the 85% of responses here as of now).

Because the prices are estimates at this time, could we see lower prices at the time the configurations open? (NOT a year or two from now, which is a given with Tesla’s track record)
Sponsored

Last edited:

OhmsLolEnforcement

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Model Y, 2013 Subaru BRZ
Occupation
Engineer
Country flag
A $5-10k reduction for early reservations would be a nice gesture. I honestly expected the dual motor price to increase to $65k. Meet me in the middle.

The total silence about existing reservations is frustrating.

Diehard

First Name
D
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Olds Aurora V8, Saturn Sky redline, Lightning, CT2
Country flag
Early Sucker Trap (EST) pricing makes sense. You go through folks that are willing to pay more for the same product before you get to people that only pay for what it is really worth (what majority will pay for it) to do the same basic function other alternatives do.

You can’t blame Tesla. If they priced model X or CT at it’s final value right off the bet, they would miss out on a bunch of revenue. As long as there are people willing to pay more, it would be stupid to charge less.

davelloydbrown

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
model 3, silverado
Occupation
veterinarian - retired
Country flag
It took them almost 10 years to lower the prices of the s and x

OP
OP

George Costanza

First Name
George
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Model X Plaid, Rivian R1S
Occupation
Latex Salesman, Vandelay Industries
Funny and snide responses aside, people are missing the point of my question. I edited it for clarity, but my point is simply:

Since the prices are specifically listed as estimates as of now, I am hoping that the actual prices AT THE TIME OF CONFIGURATION are lower than these estimates.

I guess we will know when the configurator opens (not in Q42024, not in 10 years from now). Until then I will keep my glass half full (of what I do not know)...

Carry on!

BradSomrak

First Name
Brad
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Model Y
Occupation
Atty.
Country flag
I don’t understand why anyone would expect Tesla to lower CT prices merely because some people are unhappy. If they had 2M preorders (give or take), and they hope to make 250k a year at max capacity, a 9 year backlog of reservation holders Was not sustainable.

The volume of reservations allows Tesla to charge market value for their product - which thousands if not hundreds of thousands of people will pay - will simultaneously eliminating a decade long logjam “problem.”

Eye of Elon

First Name
Paul
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Toyota Yaris
Occupation
Driver
Country flag
The hopium is strong here.

It is fairly priced, it's no rip off for a luxury car from the future.

I'm not getting one, because I never wanted an improved Hummer EV. Unless, I can drive it for a month and sell it for a profit.

VR Driving

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla Model 3
Country flag
I don’t understand why anyone would expect Tesla to lower CT prices merely because some people are unhappy. If they had 2M preorders (give or take), and they hope to make 250k a year at max capacity, a 9 year backlog of reservation holders Was not sustainable.

The volume of reservations allows Tesla to charge market value for their product - which thousands if not hundreds of thousands of people will pay - will simultaneously eliminating a decade long logjam “problem.”
2M preorders were for the original price, not 80-100k. We will see how many Tesla can sell at this price. They should be fine for the entire 2024 allocation. So it is entirely possible for those who want the 39,990 RWD Cybertruck to wait at least 9 years. They not only have to wait for the queue, but also wait for the price drop.

mgarciaknight

First Name
MG
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
JLU80, HD Deluxe, HD Sportster
Occupation
Consultant
Country flag
Reminds me of the Jeep Gladiator with the pricing. People were paying $10K over msrp when they first came out. Dealers happily marked them up and people/suckers paid. Now Gladiators are discounted the same $10K BELOW msrp and dealers still cannot get them of the lots. Well tesla has no dealers so they are marking them up directly. And people are paying. Maybe after some time, it will be the same scenario.

Cebliminal

First Name
Al
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R/T Durango, Harley Davidsons, Toyota Tundra 4x4 put deposit down for Cybertruck
Occupation
Executive Chef/Food & Beverage Director
Country flag

You said it 2 million pre orders does not mean people will purchase the vehicle after Tesla has raised the prices extremely and have taken away a lot of promised accessories. I believe 90% of the single motor orders will not move to the next level and many will not pay that much for the other two models and then factor in this recession. I bet that is at least a half million trucks that will drop off. Let’s see what will happen. I still have two on order and the first one is in the que, but I am weary because the current models will not fill a persons needs who actually needs a working pickup truck. You can pull a lot of weight for like 50 miles then need a charge. And then take up 1/3 of your working bed for a battery extender. But it’s fast 0 to 60 that’s not enough, as the ford CEO said they build trucks that do work not look pretty in front of a business. Mark my words. They will lower the price or this puppy or it will fail. And I have been saving 5 years and can pay cash but I am hesitant. I feel like I am being ripped of.

cvalue13

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
F150L
Occupation
Fun-employed
Country flag
The could!
could also possibly give them away for free!
Sponsored