D-Stew

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Cyber Truck
Country flag
I'll start by saying I hate the white trim. Just gets dirty too easily and nothing else on the truck is white. No idea why Tesla decided to run with it as the limited edition foundation option. If you wrap your truck white, ok I get it then making for a complete look, other than that, I'm not a fan.

I've been wanting to replace mine since well day 1. Finally, I bit the bullet and did it myself. My truck has a matte grey PPF wrap. and I wanted to bring that color inside. So I took a swatch of that grey wrap and went to an upholstery shop to try and find a fabric that was a close match to that shade of grey. I really wanted Alcantara which is a high-end type of suede, just like what the pillars and roof liner are made of in black from the factory.

With that, the upholstery shop had a grey Alcantara that was pretty dang close in the shade I wanted. That fabric wasn't cheap at all, bought 3 yards at $180 a yard. It's the real deal from Italy. Far cheaper fabrics are available for anyone who wants to do this themselves.

The next step was figuring out how to remove the panels, luckily was very easy, all just pressure clipped on, including main dash panel. Just pull essentially. The white trim was glued down really tight to the underplastic frame for all. So decided to leave the white trim on and contact cement the Alcantara directly over it. If I removed the white trim it would have been a nightmare to smooth out the factory plastic frame underneath. A very timely headache that potentially could end disastrous, so decided not to go down that path.

The hardest part was the door trim. The black top vinyl panel is plastic welded onto the lower white panel with the ambient light sandwiched in-between. Thus you have to cut those plastic welds to separate in order to re-upholster the white portion. The first door panel was trial and error, but figured out the best way to do it for the remaining 3 doors. Once re-upholstered, I then had to plastic weld them back together. Used a plastic staple welder and a little help from my friend JB Qwik weld for additional support.

Very happy with the end result, and YES the ambient lights all still work, and no more white!

IMG_8964.jpg

IMG_8965.jpg

IMG_8966.jpg

IMG_8967.jpg

IMG_8968.jpg
Sponsored

Last edited:

First Name
Tyler
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2010 Ford Raptor, 2024 Tesla Cybertruck
Occupation
Real Estate
Country flag
THIS is what id love to do! but BLACK! Mind if you shared where you got the Alcantara? Im in LA and wouldn't mind driving a bit.

OneDanik

First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2024 Cybertruck
Country flag
Awesome job, I see you have custom center console too. Tell us more about that

DFWBrad

First Name
Brad
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Cybertruck (May??), MS'22 (Sold), M3P (Sold)
Country flag
Turned out pretty good! What's the cover on your center console though?

OP
OP
D-Stew

D-Stew

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Cyber Truck
Country flag
THIS is what id love to do! but BLACK! Mind if you shared where you got the Alcantara? Im in LA and wouldn't mind driving a bit.
Keystone Upholstery in San Diego. They are a big national supplier. There should be places similar in size in LA.

OP
OP
D-Stew

D-Stew

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Cyber Truck
Country flag

OP
OP
D-Stew

D-Stew

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Cyber Truck
Country flag
Thanks everyone, honestly wasn't too hard. Hardest part was plastic welding the panels back together perfectly. Have it down now though. If only I had the time to do it full-time lol.

OP
OP
D-Stew

D-Stew

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Cyber Truck
Country flag
Looks awesome! How long did it take you? If I multiple that by 4, that’s how long it will take me
HAHAHAHAHA. Took me probably about 12 hours total, I did it over a weekend. The easiest was the big center dash piece as that required no modifications aka separating of plastic welds and putting them back together again. Also it doesn't have the light mechanism integrated into it like the door panels do.

Last edited:

HandsomeYeti

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla Model Y
Country flag
Love it, I want this. The white produces a glare that blocks the side mirrors, with it was dark grey. With the ambient light, did you have to disconnect that when removing the panels?

OP
OP
D-Stew

D-Stew

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Cyber Truck
Country flag
Love it, I want this. The white produces a glare that blocks the side mirrors, with it was dark grey. With the ambient light, did you have to disconnect that when removing the panels?
Yes, the ambient light has 2 power cables coming into each door panel, they are just clipped in pigtail type. So just push the pig tail down and pull out on both.
Sponsored