Crissa

First Name
Crissa
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2014 Zero S, 2013 Mazda 3
Country flag
What does a “low frills“ Tesla look like? It’s clear Musk wants every Tesla to ship with FSD and their 15” console.
These aren't fancy, though. They're pretty cheap, as parts go. Replacing the buttons on my Mazda's console would cost more than a touch screen. FSD cameras are cheaper than the mirrors on my Mazda. Even the new projection headlights are cheaper than the ones on my Mazda, but work just as good or better.

Safety features aren't frills.

-Crissa
Sponsored

OP
OP
Ogre

Ogre

First Name
Dennis
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Model Y
Country flag
These aren't fancy, though. They're pretty cheap, as parts go. Replacing the buttons on my Mazda's console would cost more than a touch screen. FSD cameras are cheaper than the mirrors on my Mazda. Even the new projection headlights are cheaper than the ones on my Mazda, but work just as good or better.

Safety features aren't frills.

-Crissa
I must not have been clear.

Tesla cuts costs aggressively everywhere on almost all of their models. They don’t put crappy seats in their base model, they make one *good seat* and put it in all models. Similarly, getting rid of mirrors is probably one of the tweaks they will do, but it’s likely they will do that everywhere.

So if it has the same seats, safety features, same console, mirrors, etc etc.

How are they going to differentiate it from the Model 3? Will it just be smaller? A little slower?

Sirfun

First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Toyota Avalon, Chrysler Pacifica PHEV, Ford E-250
Occupation
Retired Sheet Metal Worker
Country flag
I think Elon is looking forward to Robotaxi's changing the world, and making less people feel the need to own vehicles. Also, as I've stated before, when our Tesla can drive itself, several people can share one vehicle. That's why Elon is so driven to have self driving vehicles, it will greatly reduce the number of vehicles needed. Which will work towards his goals.
Look at all the vehicles in the drone videos of Giga Texas. With Self driving vehicles, not nearly so many parking spaces will be needed. People get dropped off at work, and the vehicle drives back home to take the kids to school and the spouse to their job. Then it goes home and parks over the wireless pad, to charge and be used as battery storage. Until it's time to pick up the kids, and then off to pick up mom & dad.
Life could be good!

Last edited:

Crissa

First Name
Crissa
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
How are they going to differentiate it from the Model 3? Will it just be smaller? A little slower?
Smaller, fewer motors. Smaller means more range on less battery capacity. Fewer motors means less cost. Probably less paint and handles, too.

Look at all the vehicles in the drone videos of Giga Texas. With Self driving vehicles, not nearly so many parking spaces will be needed. People get dropped off at work, and the vehicle drives back home...
...to get stuck in the traffic you've just doubled.

-Crissa

firsttruck

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
none
Country flag
Musk hinted previously that the Giga-press might eventually stamp out entire cars. I’m not sure that is possible, but a single integrated undercarriage and maybe just a few other big, cast pieces might replace the existing car body?

At the Berlin Gigafactory Fest on Oct 9, Elon answered question about a whole body one piece casting. Elon now says it is possible but not a good solution because the top of the car is mostly glass.

So my speculation is that maybe in the future Tesla does a one piece whole body convertible top car base on which they sell as a convertible car with roll bar & detachable roof or with permanently attached mostly glass roof.

Sirfun

First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Toyota Avalon, Chrysler Pacifica PHEV, Ford E-250
Occupation
Retired Sheet Metal Worker
Country flag
...to get stuck in the traffic you've just doubled.

-Crissa
Hmmm, I see your point. Only saving grace is, most of the time traffic is in one direction. But there's some validity to your view.

OP
OP
Ogre

Ogre

First Name
Dennis
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Model Y
Country flag
At the Berlin Gigafactory Fest on Oct 9, Elon answered question about a whole body one piece casting. Elon now says it is possible but not a good solution because the top of the car is mostly glass.

So my speculation is that maybe in the future Tesla does a one piece whole body convertible top car base on which they sell as a convertible car with roll bar & detachable roof or with permanently attached mostly glass roof.
Or just a more affordable next gen car with no glass roof.

Maybe this is the other use Tesla has for their 8k Ton Gigapress.

Crissa

First Name
Crissa
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
Hmmm, I see your point. Only saving grace is, most of the time traffic is in one direction. But there's some validity to your view.
It's something we'll have to deal with. Probably more tolls, and cruising fines, however much I hate them.

-Crissa

JBee

First Name
JB
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Cybertruck
Occupation
. Professional Hobbyist
Country flag
I must not have been clear.

Tesla cuts costs aggressively everywhere on almost all of their models. They don’t put crappy seats in their base model, they make one *good seat* and put it in all models. Similarly, getting rid of mirrors is probably one of the tweaks they will do, but it’s likely they will do that everywhere.

So if it has the same seats, safety features, same console, mirrors, etc etc.

I've written this before somewhere but I'll do it again. Cost reduction of a side by side seat arrangement car is fairly difficult because the packaging of a second row of seats barely adds much car or cost, but adds heaps of value for the customer as they get even more car for less dollars.

If Tesla were serious about cost reduction and had a good look at passenger statistics, which say most cars travel with one person most of the time, it would make sense to make a tandem 2 seater tadpole trike. The vehicle shell is small enough to be single piece cast, would have one hub motor, and a 5th of the batteries for the same range. This is mostly because of the frontal area and weight reduction. With tilt steering you could make it as stable as a 4 wheeler.

A $10k Tesla.

Last edited:

Ehninger1212

First Name
Jake
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Audi A3 E-Tron - 2005 Land Rover LR3 - T-Bucket - 1951 chevy 3100
Occupation
Architect/Fabricator
Country flag
Yeah for sure my next vehicle.. even if its not the CT will be 100% electric. no Doubt.

OP
OP
Ogre

Ogre

First Name
Dennis
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Model Y
Country flag
it would make sense to make a tandem 2 seater tadpole trike.

A $10k Tesla.
I love the Arcimoto and the Aptera, but American consumers barely even buy sub-compacts even when they have significant pricing advantages. I suspect the number of people who would buy a car like this is fairly small.

I would love if Tesla did this and I was proven wrong. Heck… I would love if Tesla did this and confirmed I was right because I would probably buy 1 myself. The Arcimoto is on my short list.

Munro is trying to get Tesla to help them out with some giga press time.

Cybertruck Hawaii

Banned
Banned
First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Sienna
Occupation
Retired
Country flag
ICE vehicles will be around for a long more time. Half of the American population are nonconformist to protect the environment in the long run. Just as half of Americans are nonconformist to preserving the Democratic of democracy. These nonconformist believe in placing their opinions ahead of the public’s trend. You know these nonconformist, they claim to make America great again.

OP
OP
Ogre

Ogre

First Name
Dennis
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Model Y
Country flag
ICE vehicles will be around for a long more time. Half of the American population are nonconformist to protect the environment in the long run. Just as half of Americans are nonconformist to preserving the Democratic of democracy. These nonconformist believe in placing their opinions ahead of the public’s trend. You know these nonconformist, they claim to make America great again.
While EV early adopters often bought EVs out of altruism or just fascination with technology, that’s changing fast.

The cost of EVs is coming down quickly. How many people are going to buy an ICE car when they cost more than an EV? I’m sure there will be a few people who hang onto ICE out of stubbornness, but not enough to support the current infrastructure around those industries.

ZARDOZ

First Name
Ken
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Subaru Forester
Occupation
IT
Country flag
I can remember when liberals celebrated nonconformity.

If you want EVs to sell make them have value over ICE vehicles; don't expect people to buy EVs to save the planet. The CT would be my first EV and not because it's an EV, but because it has features I want and is a good value.
Sponsored