Will the Cybertruck be allowed to drive in Europe?

Dids

First Name
Les
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
04 Tacoma, 23 Cybertruck
Occupation
Self
Country flag
Considering the chances of surviving being hit by the current designed cybertruck are slim to none, the NCAP regulations are going to require significant design changes. If Tesla are not going to bother for the short to medium term then homologation is going to one big obstacle that all Europeans do worry about.

Last time I looked Santa Cruz was no where near Europe so any reason for your keen interest...
My Toyota Tacoma has a steel bumper attached to a frame and a steel hood covering a giant steel engine. Yet for some reason people think the stainless steel on the front of CT is deadlier than being hit by a Toyota Tacoma. Can someone explain to me why they think CT design is deadlier?
Sponsored

Crissa

First Name
Crissa
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2014 Zero S, 2013 Mazda 3
Country flag
Can someone explain to me why they think CT design is deadlier?
The forward tilt to the nose is more deadly than a backwards tilt.

But I'm not sure it's more or less than a high nose in the first place.

Either way, we don't know the homologation rules for bumpers which will be in place when the Cybertruck comes to market, as those are very specifically in flux right now. As it stands, the assumption is it's the same as other trucks, and therefore legal.

-Crissa

Geo

First Name
George
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Subaru STI, KTM450EXC
Country flag
Most likely :cry:
I wonder if we ever will get anything like the cybertruck.
If Tesla already thinks the European demand for pickups is to low to even care for adapting Cybertruck to EU specifications, why would they then prioritize making a smaller pickup?

I really hope i'm wrong, but i'm really starting to doubt... :(
You sound very despondent friend, and I think it's unnecessarily so.

A/ The recent hype about a smaller version Cybertruck due to Elon's interview, is strange, there is zero news in what he's said !
(maybe acknowledging there's a struggle to meet regulations to sell large Cybertruck in certain markets, but not news that they have smaller Cybertruck they've been working on. which by the way will be more suitable in racing the Baja, which they have confirmed they will be doing)

The disclaimer on the order page of countries outside of the U.S makes it clear spec's may change compared to the U.S version. And will be firmed up at a later date, upon gauging demand.
From as early as Nov. Elon stated the width of the 2nd version Cybertruck will be approx 73 inch's.

B/ The world wide volume of Cybertruck reservations may not be as big as the single biggest market, the U.S., but it is none the less, very significant. Tesla, will not be telling people, oh' thanks but no thanks, we're not selling you any kind of Cybertruck. Sucked in ;) Here's your $100 back !

C/ People will be invited to firm up their reservations into hard orders, well before then, Tesla will have revealed the details of the smaller Cybertruck.

D/ The Hummer will be revealed by about October/Novemeber, and take orders for 2021 delivery, I'm estimating somewhere around that time Tesla also reveals the goldilocks Cybertruck.
(which I estimate will be about 76 x 206-208 inch, 60-62 x 53 inch bed).
And other Brands will reveal their offering and take orders too.
The Hummer's smaller dimensions will be closer to the smaller Cybertruck.

E/ Some manufactures have Production lines simultaneously building 2 or more completely different body types. It is not difficult to see Tesla making both version on one production line and or running multiple production lines.

F/ When they do reveal the smaller Cybertruck, it will immediately start gaining U.S. orders.
The mid size pick up truck market in the U.S. is much smaller than the full size market.
But its still far greater than any other single market in the world !
The volume may be smaller than for the 231.7 inch Cybertruck, but between the new U.S. volume and the overseas volume, it may still be smaller than the U.S. volume for the large Cybertruck, but it will be very very significant.
Perhaps a situation where orders might be say 6: 10, or more, the ratio of small to large Cybertruck's, in which case its highly likely they may start producing them both simultaneously.

Between the U.S. and China and the rest of the world, I would not be surprised if the total demand for the smaller Cybertruck was perhaps even bigger than the Large Cybertruck !!

G/ Another reason we will likely see the smaller Cybertruck revealed by Dec. 2020 is they will want
to quantify / gauge initial demand for the smaller Cybertruck by about the 1st qtr of 2021,
in preparation for setting up the new factory.

H/ Elon confirmed in his remarks, they are still likely to consider making amendments in attempting to meet regulations or asking for exemptions in certain markets to sell the Large Cybertruck.
But either way those reservations will not be thrown away by Tesla.

Last edited:

cybrnick

First Name
Nick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
CYBRTRCK
Country flag
I hope you are right, but i'm not convinced they will start producing two different sizes simultaneously.
My fear is they will start producing the full size Cybertruck but since they already stated they also would like to make a smaller cheaper car and also perhaps a van like car.
That could put the smaller cybertruck production start years away.

CybertronUK

First Name
Hal
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Nissan Navara, Hulux Invincible
Occupation
Engineer
Country flag
Can someone explain to me why they think CT design is deadlier?
Your steel bumper all though pedestrian unfriendly would affect lower leg, possibly upper leg. Life changing but not necessarily life threatening.
Similarly do the sledgehammer test on your bonnet, like most cars/trucks and you will have a big dent, thereby energy absorbing.
Tesla Cybertruck Will the Cybertruck be allowed to drive in Europe? 1596875805429

Do they same with steel plate, the pedestrians head is not going to fair well.
Add the fact the nose is high and protruding, thus upper body (main organs) are being hit.
As someone said earlier, chances of a European truck are ‘toast’
Chances of surviving that impact ‘toast’

Yes they may well come up with a world smaller truck more compliant but very unlikely in 5 years.
We are still waiting for the Roadster

Last edited:

CybertronUK

First Name
Hal
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Nissan Navara, Hulux Invincible
Occupation
Engineer
Country flag
The idea that the truck is 'toast' because of rules which do not currently block similar vehicles is perhaps a bit hyperbolic.

-Crissa
I thought the whole point is that there is nothing similar....

‘Musk explained that this is due to the Cybertruck not really being a truck, but instead, a “freaking tank from the future.” ‘

Tanks are not noted for being pedestrian friendly.

Yes you can see American vehicles in Europe. But there not made from plate steel.

Reactions: Geo

Crissa

First Name
Crissa
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2014 Zero S, 2013 Mazda 3
Country flag
Yes you can see American vehicles in Europe. But there not made from plate steel.
If that's true, the the Cybertruck won't meet any crash standards and won't be available for sale where Musk lives.

That the outer steel can't be dented does not mean the vehicle cannot have crumple zones.

And even so, none of the larger trucks (of which there are, as I pointed out, available in Europe) take into account pedestrian safety.

Until that changes (and it probably should/will), there's no reason to worry about the Cybertruck. And if it does, they'll change the design to match the markets.

-Crissa

Graefenberg

First Name
Athos
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
None
Occupation
Insurance
Country flag
My question is, how will you get your wonderful Cybertruck since the isn’t a CT factory in Europe ? Just an interesting quandary of logistics and what others’ plans are to get their baby to their far away homes.
Just like all models S X and 3... As GigaBerlin is not producing yet.

Geo

First Name
George
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Subaru STI, KTM450EXC
Country flag
I still hope that something like the external airbags will solve the EU and CH doubts
Wow, external air bags, this is brilliant, If only the Cybertruck was around when my kids were growing up. All the money I could have saved on hiring Jumping Castle’s.

I could have just lined the little ones up in the driveway, go at em like bowling pins,
and watch them bounce up over the roof and into vault, landing on a soft mattress.

I would have even joined the queue, and used smart summon to run myself over :LOL:

P.S. The Blind Spot elimination, would be brilliant if it worked as shown. He’s right it is a big concern, and a remedy is required.

Last edited:

PeterCapomolla

First Name
Peter
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Cybertruck
Occupation
Mobotix Surveillance Camera Integrator
Country flag
Your steel bumper all though pedestrian unfriendly would affect lower leg, possibly upper leg. Life changing but not necessarily life threatening.
Similarly do the sledgehammer test on your bonnet, like most cars/trucks and you will have a big dent, thereby energy absorbing.
1596875805429.png

Do they same with steel plate, the pedestrians head is not going to fair well.
Add the fact the nose is high and protruding, thus upper body (main organs) are being hit.
As someone said earlier, chances of a European truck are ‘toast’
Chances of surviving that impact ‘toast’

Yes they may well come up with a world smaller truck more compliant but very unlikely in 5 years.
We are still waiting for the Roadster
Last year I was a first respondent to a pedestrian death with a Mitsubishi Magna wagon - the injuries were horrific - chest & compound fractures to both ankles - really pedestrians don't do well against any vehichles - having survived an encounter with a 1967 Ford Sedan as an 11 year old child I realised how fortunate I was to survive

MEDICALJMP

First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Toyota Avalon, Rav4, Tri-motor Cybertruck
Occupation
Nurse
Country flag
IS there an exemption application for "unique" cars that can be filed to import cars into your country? I know some special exemptions need to be filed for supercars into America and they need to have certain emissions equipment added.

I was really wondering when I started the thread if people were coming to America and shipping it themselves or relying on Tesla to cargo ship.

Suskis

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Seat Ibiza
Country flag
But what is the real problem with a CT in Europe? As others have pointed out, it's not a size problem F150 Raptor is bigger than CT and it's legal. The "pedestrian safety" argument can be valid, but it all depends on what they are going to evaluate the real thing in the end (just like the side mirrors or the windshield wiper).
What I understand, the real problem is CT weight. If a car + its full payload is more thatn 3.5 tons, then you can't use the B driving license, but you will need a C driving license (that very few people have). CT should be over 2.5 tons (and the 3 motor version, having 2 battery packs, should be over3 tons). So, the point of making it "smaller" should be about making it lighter.
This is all to my understanding that, in facts, could be wrong.
Sponsored