Reaction score
Vehicles
CybrBEAST
Occupation
retired
Country flag
There is no boundary.

IF we have 1.5 million outstanding orders... and counting

Why are we talking 250,000 ? That only represents the throughput at the end of a 3–6-month ramp.

This reminds me of the 50,000 FUD article... These 750,000 drives 'ceiling' could be an order for only one of many factories.... Or to supplement Tesla's own production.
Sponsored

OP
OP
JBee

JBee

First Name
JB
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Cybertruck
Occupation
. Professional Hobbyist
Country flag
There is no boundary.

Why are we talking 250,000 ? That only represents the throughput at the end of a 3–6-month ramp.

This reminds me of the 50,000 FUD article... These 750,000 drives 'ceiling' could be an order for only one of many factories.... Or to supplement Tesla's own production.
I think its 750k "per year" anyway. So limitless unless we run out of time itself. :geek:

Bill906

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Jeep
Country flag
Are you trying to say that Tesla need not have bothered with the higher RPM part?
High RPM and High power works for the Model S. You're argument, if I'm understanding you correctly, is take the motor designed for the Model S, change the gear ratio, and it will work for the CT, which, technically is true. But I don't think using a motor optimized for speed and acceleration is the best fit for a vehicle where speed isn't needed but low end torque is.

From the information given (albeit vague and incomplete)
If Model S is 200MPH at 23,000 RPM, 60MPH = 6900 RPM.
If the truck is 120MPH at 23,000 RPM, 60MPH = 11,500 RPM.

From your Model S Speed/Power graph it looks like the motor goes into constant power region at 60MPH which is 6900 RPM. 6900 RPM on the CT would be 36MPH. After 36MPH the torque on the CT would drop as speed increased.

OP
OP
JBee

JBee

First Name
JB
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Cybertruck
Occupation
. Professional Hobbyist
Country flag
High RPM and High power works for the Model S. You're argument, if I'm understanding you correctly, is take the motor designed for the Model S, change the gear ratio, and it will work for the CT, which, technically is true. But I don't think using a motor optimized for speed and acceleration is the best fit for a vehicle where speed isn't needed but low end torque is.

From the information given (albeit vague and incomplete)
If Model S is 200MPH at 23,000 RPM, 60MPH = 6900 RPM.
If the truck is 120MPH at 23,000 RPM, 60MPH = 11,500 RPM.

From your Model S Speed/Power graph it looks like the motor goes into constant power region at 60MPH which is 6900 RPM. 6900 RPM on the CT would be 36MPH. After 36MPH the torque on the CT would drop as speed increased.
Ok. I think I can see what you think the problem is, but consider what happens if you don't change the gearing at all, as a comparison. Imagine you simply put the Plaid rear end on the back of the CT like a powered trailer. Will the CT still accelerate? Will it be able to maintain speed using the Plaid drivetrain? Of course it will.

So now have another look at your graph again, and you can see the torque drops off once you hit the power peak, but it doesn't go to zero until speed max (I'm assuming this is max rpm). That means that provided there is enough power available to overcome vehicle drag, the vehicle will continue to accelerate with the remaining available torque. If your concern is that they will run into a torque or max RPM problem first, then I'm sure that would be factored in.

If the powerband were a problem, in the MS Plaid the acceleration tapers off as well, just at a higher speed, so that shouldn't work either.

Just to be clear, I'm not proposing an actual MS Plaid motor to be used, rather that they make a custom CF wrapped PMSM with more compact dimensions and a liitle lower power output, and use one on each wheel independently and then use the correct gearing, given it has much larger wheels, and uses whatever extra RPM it doesn't need over 120mph for extra torque instead, and move the powerband into the lower speed range, where together with the extra torque its much more useful for the CT.

Without a definitive torque/power graph its hard to tell how to configure the gearing or drivetrain exactly. But I'm not really trying to do that either, except to demonstrate that a higher gearing would benefit the CTs performance for its intended use.

OP
OP
JBee

JBee

First Name
JB
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Cybertruck
Occupation
. Professional Hobbyist
Country flag
Makes a poll, fails to list one of the most likely options.

* Quad motor and dual motor AWD.

Kind of makes this whole thing nonsense.
I am not interested in proving what was announced on reveal, I only added the pole to see if the theory of having only quad motor CT models held any water with those on the forum, as per the original post of this thread. Happy to discuss why you don't think it will be so if you have something to add or question.

BTW The dual motor AWD would actually require a completely seperate drivetrain assembly and wouldn’t use the QM components unlike a dual RWD which can.

TheLastStarfighter

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Dodge Challenger, Tesla Model 3
Occupation
Industrial Engineer
Country flag
I am not interested in proving what was announced on reveal, I only added the pole to see if the theory of having only quad motor CT models held any water with those on the forum, as per the original post of this thread. Happy to discuss why you don't think it will be so if you have something to add or question.

BTW The dual motor AWD would actually require a completely seperate drivetrain assembly and wouldn’t use the QM components unlike a dual RWD which can.
that’s my point, and why I don’t think your all4 option will happen.

OP
OP
JBee

JBee

First Name
JB
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Cybertruck
Occupation
. Professional Hobbyist
Country flag
that’s my point, and why I don’t think your all4 option will happen.
You do know that EM posted that the Quad motor all wheel drive will be first off the production line?

I didn't make that part up. :giggle:

TyPope

First Name
Ty
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'18 F150, '23 MY, '24 CT, '23 Maveric hybrid soon
Occupation
Operations Planner
Country flag
My ideal survey pick would have been, "A quad motor, tri-motor and dual motor" No single motor variant expected IMO.
I'd take that further and say there will be a quad and a dual motor version. Both will be all-wheel drive. Reasoning is simply this: Regen when pulling a trailer. There will be a ton more stopping power if you can regen with 4 vs 2 motors. There won't be a single motor version.

TyPope

First Name
Ty
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'18 F150, '23 MY, '24 CT, '23 Maveric hybrid soon
Occupation
Operations Planner
Country flag
There is no boundary.

Because Elon said the goal was to make 250,000 a year...

Ogre

First Name
Dennis
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Model Y
Country flag
I am not interested in proving what was announced on reveal, I only added the pole to see if the theory of having only quad motor CT models held any water with those on the forum, as per the original post of this thread.
How does a poll which has a few choices, all of which confirm your personal biases one way or the other “Prove” anything?

Ogre

First Name
Dennis
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Model Y
Country flag
EM was talking about Shanghai production being 500k/ year. They have broken 300k in a quarter in Shanghai and that is soon likely to be the benchmark.

Tesla often lowballs their production targets (and miss their dates, but that’s a different story).

OP
OP
JBee

JBee

First Name
JB
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Cybertruck
Occupation
. Professional Hobbyist
Country flag
How does a poll which has a few choices, all of which confirm your personal biases one way or the other “Prove” anything?
Um there's an option to vote for what was offered on reveal and the QM that EM said would come as well as a control? Deleting the SM or TM hasn't been confirmed yet, so wouldn't it be just somebody else's bias that I'd be confirming?

As I said I added the poll later after my original post. I'm interested in discussing the post, not the poll. Shall I delete it for you to make you happy?

Last edited:

charliemagpie

First Name
Charlie
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
CybrBEAST
Occupation
retired
Country flag
Yes, I understand how that can be taken as such.
250,000 as reaching full ramp. I'm guessing that means 3 shifts maybe 7 days per week. Fully utilizing a production line capacity which is configured for a particular vehicle.

But that doesn't mean a second production line isn't on the cards. A ramp is a goal, not the end game. I don't think Elon is going to give a full heads up to the competition. Nor is he going to be exposed should orders dry up.

He says it all the time about the Y in Austin or Germany... 'we are ramping up'

He said Shanghai is aiming for 500,000. Now its tracking 1 million , plus another factory nearby is coming.
Sponsored