Will Tri Motor versions use Model S Plaid carbon wrapped rotors?

Mini2nut

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 R1T
Country flag
To achieve the estimated 0-60 time of 2.9 seconds will the Tri Motor Cybertruck come equipped with the new motor that powers the Plaid? It’s a pretty amazing piece of engineering that can be carried by one person.

Tesla Cybertruck Will Tri Motor versions use Model S Plaid carbon wrapped rotors? F4B377BE-1695-4900-A1C5-DB4AF9F0D29D
Sponsored

Last edited:

JBee

First Name
JB
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Cybertruck
Occupation
. Professional Hobbyist
Country flag
Yes, definitely on the tri motor CT. I expect all CT models to use CF wrapped motors from the Plaid model S. In fact most other models will also get them in the next upgrades.

ajdelange

First Name
A. J.
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla X LR+, Lexus SUV, Toyota SR5, Toyota Landcruiser
Occupation
EE (Retired)
Country flag
Do a little reading in the industry lit and review Tesla's history with motors. When I got my first Tesla going on 3 years (yes, only three years) ago it was induction motors all around. Shortly after that there was lots of talk about the efficiency gains from switched reluctance motors and them PM aided switched reluctance motors and all the manufacturers started using them. So many that that fears about the supply of rare earths (for the magnets) and their cost began to arise and manufacturers starting going back to induction motors with poured aluminum rotors which are cheap and easy to make but lossy so someone came up with technology for pouring the rotor with copper and someone else making up for some of the loss by winding the things so they could be spun extra fast and have a tiny gap. Recently someone here posted a piece on the resurgance of pure reluctance motors with the cogging problem solved by DSP techniques in stator current control. Do I think CRIMs will wind up in the CT? Ask me something I might be able to give an intelligent answer to. Like what will Tesla stock be trading for 3 years from now.
Sponsored