Ian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Isuzu D-Max Extra Cab 2014
Occupation
Boilermaker / Welder
Country flag
Hi just wanted to start up a conservation in regards to the armor glass, the mirrors and the wiper blades for the cybertruck.

Thoughts on Armor Glass:
Since there is no video evidence of the cyber truck windows being able to roll down, I'm going to assume that since the glass broke on stage that tesla would want to make all the glass bullet proof, and to do this make the windows not able to roll down. I mean just look at the shape of the front side windows if there were able to roll down half way, half the window would still be visible purely because of the odd shape.
Instead to make them strong and thought design the windows to be just like proper bullet proof glass in a window pane in the shape of the window on the car. I mean if it came down to it would you choose a fully bullet proof window that can't roll down or a window that can roll down yet can also crack. Thoughts?

Mirrors or lack there of: I know they don't want the side mirrors instead they want to use the side cameras and display this on the screen. I'm all for it. I know some concept cars in Japan have screens roughly in the same position as the pillar that show you a screen roughly the same size as a normal mirror showing you the same vision but without having side mirrors. Not sure if any car on the road today has that feature., not sure but if they did have to put mirrors on the CT to get it on the road, I surely reckon those side mirrors would look hideous in relation to the whole car being the shape that it is. You guys got thoughts on the side mirrors?

Wiper blades, I didn't notice any wiper blades on the concept truck in the unveil being that the entire front of the vehicle is one flat sheet of glass that rolls into the flat stainless steel that is hinged for a small bonnet. I can't see any room for motorized window Wipers either from the bottom nor the top of the window. I mean where will they go. I've heard people talk about laser window wipers... Like what is that? What you guys reckon.
Sponsored

cyberhunter

First Name
Heath
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2017 Ram 2500, Cybertruck preorder
Country flag
The CT had the windows partly rolled down during the Jay Leno episode. If you watch the videos it's clear they were about 20% open.

I'd be fine with side cameras because the it would be more aero efficient and produce less wind noise.

There have been several theories on how the wipers may work but I'd just assume they will be recessed until in use. It will be interesting to see if the design is novel or traditional when more details on final design start emerging.

OP
OP
Pumba2988

Pumba2988

First Name
Ian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Isuzu D-Max Extra Cab 2014
Occupation
Boilermaker / Welder
Country flag
The CT had the windows partly rolled down during the Jay Leno episode. If you watch the videos it's clear they were about 20% open.
I watched this just now and still do not see the windows rolled down. I suspect that the CT will be different compared to the one unveiled.

Just going to have to wait and see I can see this car being delayed. I'm assuming they will have more cut and polish before this bad boys ready for the streets.

Terafactory will focus on semi and model Y first I think.

TheLastStarfighter

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Dodge Challenger, Tesla Model 3
Occupation
Industrial Engineer
Country flag
I don't know what you're talking about, the windows have plenty of room to roll down and the doors are a square, there is no issue. I think the truck will probably come with traditional wipers and side mirrors.

egandalf

First Name
James
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2010 Toyota Tacoma
Country flag
In the Jay Leno video, the window is down during the Boring Tunnel portion.

Window partway down:
Tesla Cybertruck Windows, Mirrors and Wipers. Screen Shot 2020-10-19 at 3.35.18 PM

Window appears to be all the way down.
Tesla Cybertruck Windows, Mirrors and Wipers. Screen Shot 2020-10-19 at 3.35.42 PM

No way would Tesla make a vehicle with static windows (unless a special case for Gov or something). People still need to operate it as a regular vehicle, including accessing McDonald's drive-through, etc.

Bigvbear

First Name
Justin
Threads
Reaction score
Website
ts.la
Vehicles
2001 Chevy Tracker, 2018 Jeep Cherokee
Occupation
IT
Country flag
Let's talk about this a min

For a wiper I think the CT will have something similar to what the roadster and Semi have now. A single blade on a double swing arm.

If you notice in the semi reveal, the Semi had no side mirrors, the roadster also lacked a wiper, but later prototypes do have a wiper.

fast forward, the ones out on the road have wipers and side mirrors.

I think the lack of these on the CT prototype has led to some, for lack of a better term hysteria, on what high tech gadgets will be deployed (IE laser wipers and whatnot) i think the reality will be far less interesting.

just to show you what i mean on this

Roadster no wiper:
Tesla Cybertruck Windows, Mirrors and Wipers. red-roadster-model-y-1

Roadster with wiper
Tesla Cybertruck Windows, Mirrors and Wipers. wiper-1510933134

Semi at reveal, no mirors:

Tesla Cybertruck Windows, Mirrors and Wipers. 15_Tesla_Semi_Electric_1

Road Semi Mirrors.
Tesla Cybertruck Windows, Mirrors and Wipers. tesla-semi-1-e1539187374903

Last edited:

Frank W

First Name
Frank
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2007 Toyota Tacoma
Occupation
Retired Army 1975-1997
Country flag
Elon had said that the glass is essentially armor glass however the stainless steel body was bullet proof (to 9mm) but nothing indicated that the glass was.

TI4Dan

First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Ram 2500 Cummins, GMC 1500, LandRover Discovery 1, Suzuki GT750, Electra Glide Ultra Classic Limited, Electra Glide Sport, RX3 Cyclone
Occupation
Retired, added 5 days to my weekend
Country flag
I think mirrors will be used on the cybertruck, no camera problems and always on..lol. To have cameras in addition side mirrors I could see that. Wiper is going to be interesting the front glass is so big the only way to cover it with a wiper might be a single wiper arm so it can reach near the top and sweep across the most of the front. Windows will roll down not a complex shape or extreme curved glass. I used to work on Armored vehicles and the windows did not actuate in anyway in fact just too heavy.

Julien

First Name
Julien
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Hyundai Palisade, Honda Accord, Reserved Dual Motor Cybertruck
Country flag
A few things to say, the window rolling thing has already been debunked in Jay Leno's video, and the simple fact that the window is frameless means that it HAS to roll down a bit to let the door open.

Side mirrors: I believe some UK versions of the Audi E-Tron has no side mirrors but has interior screens on each side pillar. BTW, this truck is going to the U.S.A., are they supposed to get outside to get their fast food? No. Having the side cameras in the center screen would truly make it impossible to use, who looks in the center when trying to find what's on the left side? That takes the whole central screen speedometer to a whole new (worse) level. And, Tesla could easily make great looking side mirrors for the CT, just make them a triangle and it fits right with the CT.

Finally, wipers: The CT will have normal wipers, there is absolutely no way that they will create some laser technology to take off the water (and what about leaves?), simply won't work.

PS If the CT doesn't have mirrors or windows that roll down I really think that it's a dealbreaker, just too impossible to live with.

myco.rrhizae

First Name
Myco
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
F150 4.9L, Chevy Volt, Tri-Motor Cybertruck
Occupation
Carpenter
Country flag
Finally, wipers: The CT will have normal wipers, there is absolutely no way that they will create some laser technology to take off the water (and what about leaves?), simply won't work.
So, in this other thread,
https://www.cybertruckownersclub.co...ferent-from-the-actual-truck.1550/#post-23337
we talked about how the original tease photo has a different hood that was beveled down on the sides and raised in the center. this would provide space for wiper housing. Brings up the question of what kind of changes we are going to see in the body of the production unit.

Two ~ wiper housing?! yeah - where are the wipers gonna go? I know that this has been discussed to some extent, but its difficult to appreciate how much it will change the entire feel of the truck to break the seamless and flush plane of the hood with the windshield. And i have serious doubts that Tesla is going to use some kind of laser powered windshield wipers (which i dont think is physically possible). If anything that pattent could be just for defogging and melting ice. The angled sides on the hood would serve to lift the top of the hood for the wipers to live without producing the drag that Tesla is known to put a great amount of effort into avoiding.
Sponsored

Last edited: