Wouldn't this compromise the whole safer than a vault thing....

Outside accessable doors for pillar storage?

• Total voters

rodmacpherson

First Name
Rod
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Chevy Volt, Nissan LEAF
Occupation
Security Architect (IT/Infosec)
Country flag
Greetings Guys,

Considering the strength and safety of the "vault" wouldn't pillar storage, with outside accessable doors on each side of the truck, compromise the whole idea of "safer than a vault!?"

It seems to me that you will only be able to store small items in the space. When considering the possibility of the doors not closing properly overtime, rattling noises as the hedges get weaker, again, overtime, wind drag and noise if not properly seated when closed, an opportunity for a thief to pry the doors open, contributing to all of the aforementioned problems...Just don't seem worth the trouble to me. Now if you could access the space from inside the vault only, I would reconsider the pillars as usable storage space. Do you think the pillar storage (if included in final production) will end up being more trouble than its worth to the Cybertruck owners? I chose to opt out of this option...
At first I thought you were talking about rattling from the tools and stuff bouncing around, for that you can line the storage space with carpet (welcome mats cut to fit) or a blanket. I used to put an old wool sock over the spare tow hitch ball in the back of my jeep so it didn't make noise rattling against the jack for the spare tire. ...but I read more carefully and you are worried that the door won't latch properly after a while. Ok, then fix it. Can't be worse than the hood of that same jeep that would catch wind at highway speed and vibrate. I am sure that the Tesla storage sails will close with a latch of some kind, and there will be weather-stripping like around a trunk. If it gets loose enough to move it shouldn't rattle, and it should be easy to re-align.
Sponsored

Bill906

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Jeep
Country flag
I just assumed the access would be from the bed side.
Pictures from reveal day show they are accessible from the outside.

Tesla Cybertruck Wouldn't this compromise the whole safer than a vault thing.... 1620654255055

maybe a flush button that only works with your phone nearby?
My theory, (I have no evidence to prove this) Was the long rectangle is to open and close the vault. The small triangle was to open and close the sail storage door and you press down on the large triangle (part of the tailgate) to open the tailgate.
Tesla Cybertruck Wouldn't this compromise the whole safer than a vault thing.... 1620655124382

HaulingAss

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2010 F-150, 2018 Model 3 Perform, FS Cybertruck
Country flag

1620654255055.png

My theory, (I have no evidence to prove this) Was the long rectangle is to open and close the vault. The small triangle was to open and close the sail storage door and you press down on the large triangle (part of the tailgate) to open the tailgate.
1620655124382.png
Thanks for that, I hadn't seen or noticed that pic before!

OP
OP

CWiley

First Name
C
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2014 Chevy Silverado
Occupation
Contractor
Ram did something called the Rambox. I think it's got potential to be useful in the CT in whatever final design shows up.

Nice video, helps me visualize possible usefulness...but still true, fewer parts, fewer problems. I hate rattling trucks. However, those are nice boxes...!

OP
OP

CWiley

First Name
C
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2014 Chevy Silverado
Occupation
Contractor
At first I thought you were talking about rattling from the tools and stuff bouncing around, for that you can line the storage space with carpet (welcome mats cut to fit) or a blanket. I used to put an old wool sock over the spare tow hitch ball in the back of my jeep so it didn't make noise rattling against the jack for the spare tire. ...but I read more carefully and you are worried that the door won't latch properly after a while. Ok, then fix it. Can't be worse than the hood of that same jeep that would catch wind at highway speed and vibrate. I am sure that the Tesla storage sails will close with a latch of some kind, and there will be weather-stripping like around a trunk. If it gets loose enough to move it shouldn't rattle, and it should be easy to re-align.
Yes, I'm talking about loose parts rattling. But you make some nice points, hopefully it's a simple, easy, fix.

OP
OP

CWiley

First Name
C
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2014 Chevy Silverado
Occupation
Contractor
Greetings Guys,

Considering the strength and safety of the "vault" wouldn't pillar storage, with outside accessable doors on each side of the truck, compromise the whole idea of "safer than a vault!?"

It seems to me that you will only be able to store small items in the space. When considering the possibility of the doors not closing properly overtime, rattling noises as the hedges get weaker, again, overtime, wind drag and noise if not properly seated when closed, an opportunity for a thief to pry the doors open, contributing to all of the aforementioned problems...Just don't seem worth the trouble to me. Now if you could access the space from inside the vault only, I would reconsider the pillars as usable storage space. Do you think the pillar storage (if included in final production) will end up being more trouble than its worth to the Cybertruck owners? I chose to opt out of this option...
I appreciate the comments and votes...It looks like the opt in's have it...!

OP
OP

CWiley

First Name
C
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2014 Chevy Silverado
Occupation
Contractor
With Tesla’s rep for QC, i dont think you are wrong for worrying about noises and loosening, though Im sure any rattling/wind noise would be covered by warranty. That being said, im sure the sail storage will be activated by the app/touch screen or some other smart way... this way there are no external protrusions.. maybe a flush button that only works with your phone nearby? Kind of like m3/y door locks? Of course this is all just speculation

-JC
Yes, but good, experienced, educated, speculation...thanks.

JCERRN

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Subaru Forester
Country flag

1620654255055.png

1620655124382.png
Tesla is all about practicality. Car Manufacturers in general use symbols quite literally to simplify accessibility. I agree with your assessment.

-JC

Friday

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Cybertruck
Yes, I'm talking about loose parts rattling. But you make some nice points, hopefully it's a simple, easy, fix.

I have to carry tools and parts in my Pacifica daily. It is usually self-inflicted if there is rattling/scraping/banging noises while driving due to my cargo. I have wrenches that drove me nuts because at every start-stop they would slide around in the toolbox. Solution was line toolbox with anti-slip. This is all inside the cabin so the driver is in the same area as the cargo. It does drive me nuts, but then I need to fix it, it's not the vehicle itself making that noise.

Now, if you want to talk rattletrap, my '76 Landcruiser is an amazing noisemaker, but fun as hell. Sometimes it's just the personality of the vehicle and you love it for what it is.

I really doubt at this point there will be issues with those exterior boxes for noise, as the design stands in the pic.

EV Rob

First Name
Rob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla Model S, Y
Occupation
Engineer
Country flag
I have to carry tools and parts in my Pacifica daily.
Another Pacifica owner waiting for a Cybertruck!

So I got my wife a Tesla for Christmas. Only downside is that it's hers, so I had to drive the old minivan. It was such a downer to drive the old Odyssey after the Tesla that I got in line for a Cybertruck. Once I found this forum and figured out that there are hundreds of thousands ahead of me, and I'm maybe 5 to 10 years out, started looking for a gapfiller, and got a Pacific plug-in hybrid. It's been great. Not the same driving thrill as the Tesla, but still a huge improvement over a pure ICE minivan. So far about 90% of the miles have been electric.

And to stay on topic, I'm for sail storage, regardless of access. We've owned either a mini-van, SUV or pick-up for hauling for over 3 decades, and more storage is better.
Sponsored