Josh
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Jeep Cherokee, BMW R1200R
Occupation
Gymja Warrior
Country flag
Like many people I plan to wrap my CT once it’s in my driveway. I’m thinking a matte black would look pretty cool.

even though the body will be easier to wrap than a car due to less curves, I’m not sure if we’ll be able to (or want to) wrap the tonneau cover pieces. My first thought is will we even be able to wrap the joints/connector pieces, and second, it would be a nightmare if a piece of wrap came off a clogged the spool the cover winds into.

anyone thought of a way to wrap the tonneau cover without potentially getting it stuck? And who knows, it may even be built so that the spool when the cover is open won’t be able to handle the extra thickness of a wrap.

just bringing this up….
Sponsored

Ogre

First Name
Dennis
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Model Y
Country flag
Cover is not SS. You might want to power coat it instead. Lots of work pulling it apart but you’d get a much better result.

I’d be worried about wear and tear each time the cover is rolled up. Even if it doesn’t get torn, it’s getting pressed up against other layers which might be covered in dirt.

OP
OP

JRu

First Name
Josh
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Jeep Cherokee, BMW R1200R
Occupation
Gymja Warrior
Country flag
Cover is not SS. You might want to power coat it instead. Lots of work pulling it apart but you’d get a much better result.

I’d be worried about wear and tear each time the cover is rolled up. Even if it doesn’t get torn, it’s getting pressed up against other layers which might be covered in dirt.
My concern with powder coat is 1: the cost/convenience assuming it’s not desirable or practical to remove the cover or powder coat in place. And 2: what I like about wrapping or Plastidip is they can change easily. Powder coat is a pretty permanent option.

plastidip I imagine would probably gunk up the gears.

Ogre

First Name
Dennis
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Model Y
Country flag
My concern with powder coat is 1: the cost/convenience assuming it’s not desirable or practical to remove the cover or powder coat in place. And 2: what I like about wrapping or Plastidip is they can change easily. Powder coat is a pretty permanent option.

plastidip I imagine would probably gunk up the gears.
Seems like it would be pretty tough wrapping the cover properly without removing it. You are going to have a lot of exposed edges of the wrap which makes it easier to peel and fall off.

Klaxon

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
CT
Country flag
The original color of tonneau may make a nice accent for the wrapped truck.
Would I wrap my CT?
No, exept may be a couple of stickers on the side windows with the images of broken glass
1635651360077.png

ldjessee

First Name
Lloyd
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Nissan Leaf, MYLR, Kaw 1700 Vaquero
Occupation
Business Intelligence Manager & Analyst
Country flag
In the Leno video Elon musk gets up and walks on the vault cover.

Glass or steel is my bet for the cover. Going to guess steel.
Sponsored