WTF moment -- my Cybertruck made a sudden hard brake stop for vehicle on other side of 2-lane highway

buzz

First Name
Lee
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 S, 2023 X, 2024 CT
Occupation
Tech Founder
Country flag
Lol fairly accurate list. I definitely went thru 1, 2 and 5...maybe 3 briefly...
Sponsored

TheDarkRanger

First Name
Kevin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
1966 Ford 4400 Industrial Tractor, 1995 7.0L Ford Dump Truck, 2000 Dodge Dakota 4wd QuadCab, 2000 F350 4wd, Tesla Model 3
Occupation
Park Ranger / Astronomy Entertainer
Country flag
But I would rather have the FSD driving than my wife. :rolleyes:
My wife used to be a "digital driver" jerky and uncertain in the bends, breaking when she should be accelerating and vice-versa. Exactly like latest version 12 of FSD STILL is! Yes it's impressive in cities, and mostly reliable on interstate, but on 2-lane fun roads, it's still terrible.

Because Model 3s are so easy to drive, even when well in excess of speed limit, it only took my wife a couple of years to become an "analog driver", 1-turn of the wheel through every well engineered corner, single pedal driving, etc.

I wonder how many more years it will take Tesla to get FSD to that point? It seems like highway driving is still not a priority. These stupid cars don't even know enough to yield the center line to on-coming traffic by shifting over closer to the fog line until on-coming car has passed and then returning to lane center. How basic is that? I could write that code:

- If radar/vision detects on-coming car, move right 1 meter unless bicycle or pedestrian or parked car on shoulder, else hold center of lane.

- If no other cars are approaching return to center.

Don't know what I'm talking about? Who taught you to drive? FSD? Watch how almost every on-coming driver dives for the fog line when you and your FSD stay in the center of your line. They either think your are so drunk you haven't notice them approaching in the oppposite lane... or you are in FSD.

Rant concludes... now.

Gurule92

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
MYP
Occupation
"Cyber" stuff
Country flag
It's actually a little wild to me that you could still want the cybertruck at the price that it's at, and the lesser range that was delivered vs the claims, and autopilot isn't a huge factor for getting it. If I didn't care about autopilot it would be insanely hard to justify the cybertruck.

And like, I don't care, I'm not berating you, I just know that I couldn't possibly get there without caring about autopilot.
Which range claim are you referring to?

MInnesooooooota

First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Just some junk.
Occupation
Business
Country flag
My autopilot sucks donkey (on my Y) after 12.3 update. It stops at every green light and flashes warnings randomly. It is now near useless (maybe by design so you will want FSD).

Further, some fuck at Tesla took away the option of engaging Autopilot with one click and FSD with two. So when FSD doesn't work, you have to go to the screen and shut it off to get Autopilot. GFY(T).

Also after update my Tesla mobile charger also sucks. It will go hours without charging and then at 1kW and on occasion get up to 7 kW.

FSD, of course, got a lot better. But Elon is smoking crack thinking people who try it out for a month will want to pay for it. FSD only works in perfect conditions and in areas with lots of Teslas. Media is going to have a hay day with this when Joe Sixpack babbles on how it is not perfect.

I was about to get another Y and get rid of our last ICE - but changed mind because there is no way to charge another Tesla (only have 110 as an option which is fine as care is only used a few hours a day).

bertley82

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Model 3 and Y
Country flag
The latest FSD 12+ is a revelation. We’ve been using it on our Y and 3, and I really can’t say enough amazing things about it compared to pre FSD 12.

OP
OP

CyberTruckeeTheOne

First Name
Andrew
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
4runner
Occupation
Retired Operating Plans & Forecasting Manager
Country flag
The latest FSD 12+ is a revelation. We’ve been using it on our Y and 3, and I really can’t say enough amazing things about it compared to pre FSD 12.
Is reason to be hopeful when it's downloaded with rhe software update this June on Cybertruck.

We have had no option to decline on rhe FS and my previous plan was to rent it by month as needed for our frequent road trips.

CybertruckRN1127

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Model S, Model 3, Model X
Country flag
I hope they'll correct this with FSD release in June.

That's too damn dangerous on freeways and high speed congested highways.
I hope so too. Since they went away from radar, AP/FSD braking has been slow or late too. Just this morning, I saw traffic slowing down to a stop. As a human, I would ease off the pedal and glide to a stop. FSD kept going and then slam the brake with ABS kicking in. Almost got rear ended (again). One time it was so bad, I I jabbed the gas peddle to avoid a rear end collision. FSD also stops short and gives a 1 or 2 car gap.

OP
OP

CyberTruckeeTheOne

First Name
Andrew
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
4runner
Occupation
Country flag
I hope so too. Since they went away from radar, AP/FSD braking has been slow or late too. Just this morning, I saw traffic slowing down to a stop. As a human, I would ease off the pedal and glide to a stop. FSD kept going and then slam the brake with ABS kicking in. Almost got rear ended (again). One time it was so bad, I I jabbed the gas peddle to avoid a rear end collision. FSD also stops short and gives a 1 or 2 car gap.
Can't understand why Tesla moved away from radar even.

My son working as software engineer for military said that new radar will know if the pile is snow or concrete painted white.

And how can camera could ever have the same capability?

agordon117

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
cybertruck foundation awd
Country flag

My son working as software engineer for military said that new radar will know if the pile is snow or concrete painted white.

How do we? We don't have radar.

I agree that tesla often makes insane decisions way too early on the hope that they solve things later with software (no stalks, vision only despite software being a year away from equivalent to radar, no rear view LCD in the rear view mirror)... just general things that are unfriendly to a driver but make sense if you assume the car drives itself...

But, how do WE know that it's white concrete or a pile of snow? Intelligence. FSD is more of an intelligence problem than a sensor problem.

I think their mistake isn't going vision only, I think their mistake, per usual, is pretending we are already 5 years in the future when they remove radar, USS, stalks, stuff like that. Autopilot was much more bulletproof when it was radar and vision. The fact that we lost that so long before vision is equivalent to it, is terrible. But their idea for going vision only is not necessarily bad. They are improving at a far faster rate than anybody else.

CybertruckRN1127

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Model S, Model 3, Model X
Country flag

I agree. Radar used to see 3 to 4 cars in front of me and reacts to them so EAP will slow down even before the car in front of me stops. Now with vision it only reacts to the car in front. If it is slow to react then FSD will be slow too. It's unsafe in LA. Btw, my wife and I both got rear ended before while on FSD (but no damage to either cars).

MJH

First Name
Matt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Model 3, Model Y
Occupation
First responder
Country flag
Yep. Welcome to the Tesla family! Complete with your very own phantom braking. Has actually gotten better since 2019.

OP
OP

CyberTruckeeTheOne

First Name
Andrew
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
4runner
Occupation
Country flag
I agree. Radar used to see 3 to 4 cars in front of me and reacts to them so EAP will slow down even before the car in front of me stops. Now with vision it only reacts to the car in front. If it is slow to react then FSD will be slow too. It's unsafe in LA. Btw, my wife and I both got rear ended before while on FSD (but no damage to either cars).
An afterthought.

Elon is an advoxate of higher population.

He might removed the radar because he believed it can zap our sperm cells specially that it's beamed below our waist and that our legs are wide open when driving. o_O

Cyberjam

First Name
Stotnova
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
FS AWD (awaiting), miniHummer EV (grandkids)
Occupation
Retired/sometime Rockstar
Country flag
First the hesitation. and indecision due disappointments in price and range.

Second, the buyer's remorse taking that much money from rhr nest egg.

Third, the fictional plan of making money by quickly reselling it.

Fourth, the deliberate amnesia of THE PLAN having too much fun with the Cybertruck.

Fifth, the justification to hell with the nest egg, I have one life to live, I deserve this after 50 years of hard work in the salt mines and rat race.

Call it the 5 stages of healing in owning a Cybertruck.
‘Zactly!🙄

OP
OP

CyberTruckeeTheOne

First Name
Andrew
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
4runner
Occupation
Country flag
To those who observed this, are you saying that this happened even on a clear roadway with no other vehicles encountered?

Since there was an oncoming semi across thr other lane, I thought it was caused by too sensitive or too wide span for the reactive cruise control.

If it's doing it randomly, it's a bigger problem and more dangerous than I thought.

And Tesla need to addreas it pronto.
Sponsored