Yoke to Steering wheel; is this too obvious?

Bjorneo

First Name
Bjorn
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'12 Tundra, '15 Forester, '16 Fusion, '87 911 Cab
Occupation
Retired Software Exec
Country flag
Y'all have probably figured this out already? It seems there all kinds of choices ranging from a few hundred dollars to thousands of dollars of Tesla steering wheels on the 'net. I'm not a yoke fan. So I was relieved to find this. I did a search here but was unable to find a discussion. Sorry if it has been overdone.
Sponsored

JBee

First Name
JB
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Cybertruck
Occupation
. Professional Hobbyist
Country flag
I haven't seen a thread yet, but I have been looking at adding a yoke and gauge cluster to a MY. Maybe we can just swap them around when the CT comes along? :cool:

I like the yoke look, but don't like the yoke for offroad, for fear of it taking your thumbs off or whacking you hands, legs or arms whilst going over bumps.

Prime8

First Name
Aaron
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Colorado,
Occupation
Construction
Country flag
Y'all have probably figured this out already? It seems there all kinds of choices ranging from a few hundred dollars to thousands of dollars of Tesla steering wheels on the 'net. I'm not a yoke fan. So I was relieved to find this. I did a search here but was unable to find a discussion. Sorry if it has been overdone.
Kyle from OutOfSpec on Youtube just bought a Plaid MS and will be changing out the yoke, might be worth following along. I'm not a yoke fan either, especially for a truck but I'm unlikely to go to the the trouble and expense of changing it. Really hope it becomes an option!

BillyGee

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Model Y P, Model 3 LR, Founders CT (Ordered)
Occupation
Technician
Country flag
If it has a fly by wire steering column hopefully we get speed dependent turning radius. I feel like that would alleviate all the issues people seem to have with the yoke.

JBee

First Name
JB
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Cybertruck
Occupation
. Professional Hobbyist
Country flag
Seems a bit ahead of yourself to plan to rip out something you've never tried.

But you do you.

-Crissa
According to that theory none of us have anything to talk about the CT here anyway?

--

Rule #1 for off roading steering: do NOT place thumbs inside wheel, if you plan on keeping them.

As for "drive by wire" I doubt the current rules will allow it, but it is possible to have variable rate steering that achieves the same thing and is already used in many ICE vehicles. With that the more you steer the faster it increases the steering angle.

But because it it mechanically connected it still has kickback, and that can move the yoke dangerously, because it is not round and has a flat surface that can hit you.

FutureBoy

First Name
Reginald
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Toyota Sienna
Occupation
Financial Advisor
Country flag
We can solve the debate issue by replacing the yoke with a joystick. No need for go or brake pedals.
If you give me a joystick, I’m a gonna be expecting a fire button and multiple lives.

tkal

First Name
Josh
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 CT3
Occupation
Metal fab
Country flag
As for "drive by wire" I doubt the current rules will allow it, but it is possible to have variable rate steering that achieves the same thing and is already used in many ICE vehicles. With that the more you steer the faster it increases the steering angle.
According to Wikipedia the Infinity Q50 had it for a short time as well as quadrasteer
But because it it mechanically connected it still has kickback, and that can move the yoke dangerously, because it is not round and has a flat surface that can hit you.
Assuming the CT has a mechanical linkage.

OP
OP
Bjorneo

Bjorneo

First Name
Bjorn
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'12 Tundra, '15 Forester, '16 Fusion, '87 911 Cab
Occupation
Retired Software Exec
Country flag

TyPope

First Name
Ty
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'18 F150, '23 MY, '24 CT, '23 Maveric hybrid soon
Occupation
Operations Planner
Country flag
According to that theory none of us have anything to talk about the CT here anyway?

--

Rule #1 for off roading steering: do NOT place thumbs inside wheel, if you plan on keeping them.

Wheel kickback can be easily managed by the same motors that steer the CT thus eliminating any de-thumbing.

happy intruder

First Name
O. K.
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Model 3 Jun 2019..... Model S Jan 2020
Occupation
Retired
Country flag
We can solve the debate issue by replacing the yoke with a joystick. No need for go or brake pedals.
then all we need are rudder pedals for all wheel steering......

charliemagpie

First Name
Charlie
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
CybrBEAST
Occupation
retired
Country flag
My first Gripe, and I don't even have it yet.
Watched a recent Warren Redlich vid with his models X... he said, and I think I agree, he doesn't like the left and right blinkers next to each other on the left side of the Yolk. He suggested, and I agree, that the wiper button on the right should swap with the right blinker button.

He also said the buttons are flush, and you have to look to operate, and should be slightly raised, so you can feel them.

I'm hoping they change it.

Tesla Cybertruck Yoke to Steering wheel; is this too obvious? 1656314020375
Sponsored