Yoke to Steering wheel; is this too obvious?

Morning Star

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2077 Tesla Cybertruck
This is a classic case of disconnected corporate goons valuing form over function. The yoke, without steer by wire and/or speed dependent turning curve, is a safety hazard. And no physical blinkers? No physical horn? No physical shifter? They took something most American's can operate intuitively since age 15 and just threw it in the garbage. I mean, look at this mess:

Sponsored

nomadmusk

First Name
Droxx
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Civic to Cybertruck
Occupation
2nd infantry of Tesla's Quality Division
Country flag
Man, I take it people really really hate steering with their palms. It's a pickup, you're not racing on dirt in baha, you're turning a truck around stopped. I, for one, will be enjoying my extra legroom, and superior highway comfort on 12 hr drives. A regular wheel cost like $100 bucks, and you can easily get one that's better then Tesla's wheels. It's nice to have 1 OEM quality yoke on offer; 3/Y clones are bad.

Wax on 🤚 Wax off 🥏 Mr. Miyagi drove with a yoke, and I, the true Danielson, will too.

JBee

First Name
JB
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Cybertruck
Occupation
. Professional Hobbyist
Country flag
According to Wikipedia the Infinity Q50 had it for a short time as well as quadrasteer
Quadrasteer was rear drive by wire only, but from what I can tell the Q50 is drive by wire on the front. I haven't seen that model before and I am eriously questioning how they got that through but there still a requirement for mirrors in the USA??

I would expect the CT to be like the quadrasteer with drive by wire rear, especially considering that the rear only has limited steering angle that the front can overcome if you had to because the rear steering became locked in a position.

I don't know if I want or how I feel about a drive by wire for the front setup. Seems to early for me to adopt that in a mass market high production number truck. I doubt it somehow, without someone else being the test dummy, and I expect it to cost more than taking a standard rack because of redundancies.

Crissa

First Name
Crissa
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2014 Zero S, 2013 Mazda 3
Country flag
This is a classic case of disconnected corporate goons valuing form over function. The yoke, without steer by wire and/or speed dependent turning curve, is a safety hazard. And no physical blinkers? No physical horn? No physical shifter? They took something most American's can operate intuitively since age 15 and just threw it in the garbage. I mean, look at this mess:

If it's a hazard, why is the explanation it's a hazard, is people who aren't even using a steering wheel correctly?

-Crissa

shaneaus

First Name
Martin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Chevy 1500 Z71
Country flag
I'm not going to judge the yoke without driving it. I think Sandi Munro & Assoc were skeptical at first - but, after using it ended up really liking it.

I have an aviation background so fly by wire is a NON ISSUE for me. If aircraft can use it safely AND the manufactures have built in redundancy in OK with it as well.

I would much prefer that variable rate steering be implemented before buying a vehicle with a yoke!

Regarding the controls (no stalks) I do wish there was a turn signal stalk. Maybe, that will be something that could be added later aftermarket. But, since most drivers don't know how to use a turn signal properly it likely won't be a priority. And, if FSD becomes popular and is used it will be automatic anyway.

No physical horn - I could not care less! I was LE for 26 yrs and a highway guy for much of that time. The only time I've ever heard of it seen a horn used to prevent an accident was in a parking lot! All the other times - if one can use a horn that person should have been steering their car. And, when they do sound the horn the event is over and they are merely expressing frustration - which is pretty useless.

The only valid (IMHO) negative I've read here is the comment about steer by wire not being allowed in 4 wheeling (I'm assuming competition) and for the CT this week be a very small group of people. Not to diminish that person's concerns - but, it won't be a priority for Tesla when trying to move forward with technology.

Morning Star

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2077 Tesla Cybertruck
It’s not a matter of getting used to anything, it’s a matter of using the wrong tool for the job. They’re “fixing something that ain’t broke,” and in doing so they’re making it worse and potentially dangerous.

Hand over hand steering, something we all do every time we make a 90 degree turn, is impossible to do normally on a yoke. When you move your other hand around to catch the wheel, you’re doing it in increments, not reaching all the way across to the other side. I included a picture because it’s pretty awkward to describe. It makes something as simple as turning a lot more prone to accidents.

This point is moot if they do drive by wire and speed-relative steering. Then I’ll only be grumpy about the lack of turn signal stalks, physical horn, and loss of ability to look super duper cool while driving single handed with my right hand on the 12 o’ clock position with my left arm resting on the open window sill.

Tesla Cybertruck Yoke to Steering wheel; is this too obvious? 70161F21-99B8-4009-8E2E-B48DE9B46CE2

Kirko

First Name
Kirk
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2007 Toyota 4Runner Cybertruck Reservation holder
Occupation
Reliability maintenance
Country flag
I haven't seen a thread yet, but I have been looking at adding a yoke and gauge cluster to a MY. Maybe we can just swap them around when the CT comes along? :cool:

I like the yoke look, but don't like the yoke for offroad, for fear of it taking your thumbs off or whacking you hands, legs or arms whilst going over bumps.
Kim Java just did a video on installing a cluster from Tsportline. It was really informative and it looked very nice!

SwampNut

First Name
Carlos
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla M3LR, Gladiator Rubicon
Occupation
Geek
Country flag
They’re “fixing something that ain’t broke,”
As we should. Carburetors weren't broke. Fuel injection is better. Drum brakes worked fine. Shit, my Smart still has them on the rear, since the weight makes it fine. But almost every car has fixed that non-broken thing, it's just better.

Right now I'm at my desk waiting for some software to be tested. The previous version wasn't broken, but the customer said they'd like to have it be slightly faster. I'm "fixing" that.

Morning Star

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2077 Tesla Cybertruck
As we should. Carburetors weren't broke. Fuel injection is better. Drum brakes worked fine. Shit, my Smart still has them on the rear, since the weight makes it fine. But almost every car has fixed that non-broken thing, it's just better.
Improve something? Go ahead. Make something functionality worse because it looks sci-fi? Pleeeease don’t.

SwampNut

First Name
Carlos
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Geek
Country flag
I prefer all of it. How many miles do you have on the yoke and new controls?

Crissa

First Name
Crissa
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2014 Zero S, 2013 Mazda 3
Country flag
It’s not a matter of getting used to anything, it’s a matter of using the wrong tool for the job. They’re “fixing something that ain’t broke,” and in doing so they’re making it worse and potentially dangerous.

Hand over hand steering, something we all do every time we make a 90 degree turn, is impossible to do normally on a yoke. When you move your other hand around to catch the wheel, you’re doing it in increments, not reaching all the way across to the other side. I included a picture because it’s pretty awkward to describe. It makes something as simple as turning a lot more prone to accidents.

This point is moot if they do drive by wire and speed-relative steering. Then I’ll only be grumpy about the lack of turn signal stalks, physical horn, and loss of ability to look super duper cool while driving single handed with my right hand on the 12 o’ clock position with my left arm resting on the open window sill.

Tesla Cybertruck Yoke to Steering wheel; is this too obvious? {filename}
This is out of date and will break your arm if the airbag goes off.

-Crissa

SwampNut

First Name
Carlos
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Geek
Country flag
This is out of date and will break your arm if the airbag goes off.
Great point, I had a gut feeling about why I never do this any more, but couldn't ID it. The yoke solves the desire to do so. Seriously though, anyone who hasn't driven with it shouldn't form any opinion yet.

Look at all the "weird" stuff in a 3. Now when I get in a normal car I have to relearn it. And it's harder to do that than it was to learn my 3, because it's far more intuitive.
Sponsored