Yoke to Steering wheel; is this too obvious?

Crissa

First Name
Crissa
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2014 Zero S, 2013 Mazda 3
Country flag
You make it sound so elegant. So far I haven’t seen anyone use the yoke that way. This is the most positive video review I could find so far, and it’s not pretty.

Thanks! ^-^

It's early, and the loudest voices are the easiest to find.

-Crissa
Sponsored

Last edited:

SwampNut

First Name
Carlos
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla M3LR, Gladiator Rubicon
Occupation
Geek
Country flag
I "need" to borrow the X again, and this is a good reason. I'll bring my suction cup camera mount and show how it's done. Apparently there are grown adults who sat in this car and were dumbfounded by the concept. I suppose this also helps explain the fact that there are thousands of avocado-related emergency room visits every year. (Seriously, it's true, people are that stupid.)

Tesla Cybertruck Yoke to Steering wheel; is this too obvious? image.png.25526a51f29492fee96ad3f169805b42

TyPope

First Name
Ty
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'18 F150, '23 MY, '24 CT, '23 Maveric hybrid soon
Occupation
Operations Planner
Country flag
It’s not a matter of getting used to anything, it’s a matter of using the wrong tool for the job. They’re “fixing something that ain’t broke,” and in doing so they’re making it worse and potentially dangerous.

Hand over hand steering, something we all do every time we make a 90 degree turn, is impossible to do normally on a yoke. When you move your other hand around to catch the wheel, you’re doing it in increments, not reaching all the way across to the other side. I included a picture because it’s pretty awkward to describe. It makes something as simple as turning a lot more prone to accidents.

This point is moot if they do drive by wire and speed-relative steering. Then I’ll only be grumpy about the lack of turn signal stalks, physical horn, and loss of ability to look super duper cool while driving single handed with my right hand on the 12 o’ clock position with my left arm resting on the open window sill.

70161F21-99B8-4009-8E2E-B48DE9B46CE2.jpeg
An accident while in positions 2, 3, 4, 5, and 6 these days could earn you an arm bone in an eye socket. It's worse when someone grabs their wheel with their palm toward their own face. An underhanded grip when turning is plain dumb.

I'll add. When stopped in a turning lane (turning left, of course) or in an intersection turning left. Be sure that while you are sitting there, your wheels are aligned forward. If you are sitting there with the steering wheel and drive wheels angled to make your turn, a hit from behind will shove your vehicle to the left and into oncoming traffic. It's MUCH safer when being hit to have your vehicle move straight forward. So, wait for left turns while maintaining a straight ahead posture. (Not that anyone asked or can maintain focus long enough to read longer replies.) :)

SwampNut

First Name
Carlos
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Geek
Country flag
I have cut myself in the kitchen many times but never, ever for an avocado. And I love them.

-Crissa
Apparently you are qualified to operate a Tesla yoke too then.

I eat 4-6 per week, and it never crossed my mind to use a sharp knife on something so soft.

Crissa

First Name
Crissa
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
Apparently you are qualified to operate a Tesla yoke too then.

I eat 4-6 per week, and it never crossed my mind to use a sharp knife on something so soft.
I always use a sharp knife, but... I do it sushi-style. You don't apply pressure, and just drag the tip across the skin. If you have to apply pressure, something is wrong. Also, for the skin-cut, keep the palm faced away from the blade.

-Crissa

SwampNut

First Name
Carlos
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Geek
Country flag
Apparently a lot of the injuries happen because people slam the blade into the seed to remove it. And sometimes miss. I either squeeze the fruit slightly to pop the seed, or use my $4 Ikea avocado tool.

Crissa

First Name
Crissa
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
I do the nick-the-seed but uhh, I don't move the blade more than an inch to do it.

You'd have to miss by several inches, and with more force than it required... what are they using, an axe throw? Doing it while drunk?

-Crissa

SwampNut

First Name
Carlos
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Geek
Country flag
Drunken avocadoing should be illegal.

I use non-sharp tools.

hridge2020

First Name
Henry
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla
Occupation
Aircraft Fixed/Rotary - Rocket/Missile/Spacecraft/Air Defense Scientist
Country flag
Y'all have probably figured this out already? It seems there all kinds of choices ranging from a few hundred dollars to thousands of dollars of Tesla steering wheels on the 'net. I'm not a yoke fan. So I was relieved to find this. I did a search here but was unable to find a discussion. Sorry if it has been overdone.

TyPope

First Name
Ty
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'18 F150, '23 MY, '24 CT, '23 Maveric hybrid soon
Occupation
Operations Planner
Country flag
I always use a sharp knife, but... I do it sushi-style. You don't apply pressure, and just drag the tip across the skin. If you have to apply pressure, something is wrong. Also, for the skin-cut, keep the palm faced away from the blade.

-Crissa
I also drag the tip of a knife like you do when cubing up the avocado half. Then, I turn it over and give it a squeeze to pop out the cubes. I suppose that would be a neat trick when drunk but party prep is LONG before that happens!

SwampNut

First Name
Carlos
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Geek
Country flag
This is why Doritos are the stoners’ choice.

Stuck4ger

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Toyota FJ / Model Y
Occupation
Test Pilot
Country flag
If you have a aviation background then you'd also know ….
….The yoke shape is a completely different issue for use off road in that the non-round surfaces create a blunt impact edge that a round steering wheel just doesn't have.
True steer by wire should resist uncommanded movement of the wheel (e.g. getting torqued by a rut) and certainly doesn’t need to feed it back to the driver. Instead the computer notes that you didn’t command the movement and instantaneously corrects it without any action from you.
Sponsored