Ty
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'18 F150, '23 MY, '24 CT, '23 Maveric hybrid soon
Occupation
Operations Planner
Country flag
Why not just put additional camera on side of trailor ?
That would work. I was thinking of solutions that would always work. I can't add cameras to every trailer I pull. Some of those aren't mine.
Sponsored

Dids

First Name
Les
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
04 Tacoma, 23 Cybertruck
Occupation
Self
Country flag
That would work. I was thinking of solutions that would always work. I can't add cameras to every trailer I pull. Some of those aren't mine.
You must tell the holy father on twitter that you need wireless cameras that you can ?magnetically? attach to trailors.... although some of them might be aluminum...

hridge2020

First Name
Henry
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla
Occupation
Aircraft Fixed/Rotary - Rocket/Missile/Spacecraft/Air Defense Scientist
Country flag

Probably won't be there when you leave your vehicle parked somewhere and get back. lol

Owner13669

First Name
Steven
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Chevy Bolt
Occupation
Retired
Country flag
While I do wonder about this, do rearview mirrors stay clean in the same circumstances?

I expect cameras should work about the same as mirrors in adverse conditions, so it is a wash.
With the chevy bolt, when you use the window washer for the rear window, it also washes the rear camera.

craz

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Dual Motor Cybertruck
Occupation
Engineer
Country flag
Love the mirrorless looks, but this comes entirely down to execution.

Mirrors are something you need at a moment's notice, without any extra effort required. I should be able to check my mirror in a split second, which means that there must be a continuous video feed somewhere in the vehicle.

Are you going to take up center console real estate? Perhaps, but it seems awfully unnatural and inefficient to look down and towards the middle of the car before checking over your shoulder. Anything that brings your eyes away from the road is potentially dangerous.

I'm optimistic Tesla will make it work, it's the legacy automakers that scare me. Who wants to navigate a laggy Ford entertainment system every time they need to change lanes?

If it can't be done seamlessly I don't think it should be done at all.

EDIT: Side mirror video footage projected on a windshield HUD would be SICK

Last edited:

Dids

First Name
Les
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
04 Tacoma, 23 Cybertruck
Occupation
Self
Country flag
Love the mirrorless looks, but this comes entirely down to execution.

Mirrors are something you need at a moment's notice, without any extra effort required. I should be able to check my mirror in a split second, which means that there must be a continuous video feed somewhere in the vehicle.

Are you going to take up center console real estate? Perhaps, but it seems awfully unnatural and inefficient to look down and towards the middle of the car before checking over your shoulder. Anything that brings your eyes away from the road is potentially dangerous.

I'm optimistic Tesla will make it work, it's the legacy automakers that scare me. Who wants to navigate a laggy Ford entertainment system every time they need to change lanes?

If it can't be done seamlessly I don't think it should be done at all.

EDIT: Side mirror video footage projected on a windshield HUD would be SICK
Properly adjusted/ properly displayed side view means you shouldn't have to look over your shoulder. But I agree with you I don't want side view displays at center of vehicle until tesla does it and I use it and discover it makes it so much better....

TyPope

First Name
Ty
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Operations Planner
Country flag
You must tell the holy father on twitter that you need wireless cameras that you can ?magnetically? attach to trailors.... although some of them might be aluminum...
Well, I AM the Pope. So, there's that. :)

Matt Hanrath

First Name
Matt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Cyber Truck RN112913462, Hummer, and a Ford Explorer
Occupation
Retired HVAC Tech
Country flag
In winter conditions with all the slush, I wonder CT will keep the camera clean?
I think off road testing for mud/stone/ice spray from tires on all camera's and sensors could spell out the need some kind of protection cover &/or wipe/washing. Maybe blinking like an eye for protection and cleaning

Reactions: MPP

Aces-Truck

First Name
Kevin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2007 Prius
Occupation
Mechanical Engineer
Country flag
What may be lost in this discussion, is what is the objective of the side mirrors (or mirror camera systems). As I read it, it is to see parallel to the side tangent of the car/truck. It does not care about the blind triangle created by the vehicle. Here is a good quote from the regulation:

"Outside mirrors of unit magnification, each with not less than 126 cm 2 of reflective surface, installed with stable supports on both sides of the vehicle, located so as to provide the driver a view to the rear along both sides of the vehicle, and adjustable in both the horizontal and vertical directions to view the rearward scene. "

Here is a link to the regulation itself: "https://www.law.cornell.edu/cfr/text/49/571.111". So as I read it, the goal of the side mirrors, from a safety requirement is only concerned with things like changing lanes on a freeway and being able to see far enough behind you to be able to pull out from a shoulder onto a road. Backing up is not addressed. Am I missing something here?

Jhodgesatmb

First Name
Jack
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.arbor-studios.com
Vehicles
Tesla Model Y LR, Tesla Model 3 LR
Occupation
Retired AI researcher
Country flag
No you aren't missing anything, that is what side mirrors are for, regardless of what you are towing. I am guessing that some of the people on the thread are concerned about seeing as much of the side view as possible when they are towing a wide vehicle such as a trailer, but there is no side view mirror in the world that can see around corners nor would anyone expect them to.

TyPope

First Name
Ty
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Operations Planner
Country flag
No you aren't missing anything, that is what side mirrors are for, regardless of what you are towing. I am guessing that some of the people on the thread are concerned about seeing as much of the side view as possible when they are towing a wide vehicle such as a trailer, but there is no side view mirror in the world that can see around corners nor would anyone expect them to.
If you tow a big trailer, it is hard to see around it to see traffic in the next lane. Even with my F-350's huge mirrors, it helps to electrically extend them out an additional 3 or so inches just to see past the trailer. The trailer is NOT wider than the truck though you'd certainly think so in the mirrors!