Crissa

First Name
Crissa
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2014 Zero S, 2013 Mazda 3
Country flag
Not one of it was political, it's just what happened and it's fact. I didn't express an opinion on whether it was good or bad; that would be political. Just a straight line, regulation occurred, business changes happened, that's it. Were they good or bad business changes? Is ACA right or not? Political and I said nothing about that.
See? You made more political statements.

Even your decision to not explain how there's a connection, is political.

-Crissa
Sponsored

firsttruck

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
none
Country flag
Literally it does. As pointed out, having easy access to opioids or firearms has deleterious effects on a community. And treating women with the same respect as men get is still a fight, a hundred years after they got a vote. So of course medical decisions become political.

-Crissa
Yup
It is really bad that they are invoking laws against women where the law was passed before women got the right to vote! There was NO representation.

BillyGee

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Model Y P, Model 3 LR, Founders CT (Ordered)
Occupation
Technician
Country flag
I'm going to go back to my gas cars.

Said me never.
I'm holding my breath a bit for my king dorito to be my new business truck. The thought of even buying a maverick hybrid, as decent as they seem to be, gives me the googly booglies.

JStat

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Model Y
Country flag
My renter was complimenting me on my classic vw bus until I told him it was an electric conversion. His response was "why are you going to let them win?" Utah is a very red state but I am still flabbergasted.

As if quieter, faster, less maintenance, and soon to be cheaper aren't separable from California democrats.
This falls under the same category as my In-Laws. Once I said I had ordered a Tesla, my mother in law said "Oh, so you're falling for THAT?" to which I asked what it was that I was falling for. She had no answer.

charliemagpie

First Name
Charlie
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
CybrBEAST
Occupation
retired
Country flag
This falls under the same category as my In-Laws. Once I said I had ordered a Tesla, my mother in law said "Oh, so you're falling for THAT?" to which I asked what it was that I was falling for. She had no answer.
My older sister the teacher and musician husband :

Elon Musk ... Ohh yea ...pfffft

They bought the narrative. Guy is saving the planet, and some media has issue with him. The world is nuts.

audi2tesla

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2020 Tesla Model 3; 2014 Dodge Grand Caravan
Country flag
It's basically a matter of their attitude, misinformed by public opinion. They generally can be educated but the real sticklers are ones who are cynical and choose to ignore the facts that give a good case FOR electric vehicles.

My sister in law said "well what do you do with all those batteries once you're done driving with them?? Pile them up in a landfill??"

I said, uh, they can be repurposed to be energy stores for microgrids, and recycled to become new batteries again. To which she had no response and just sighed while shaking her head. For context she loves her V8 GMC Suburban.

M. Ralston

First Name
Marty
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Model Y
Country flag
So many morons. EVs aren't the answer to all of life's problems, but also, 95% of the "information" against them is made up billshit.

This week it's been: How are you going to charge your EV when a hurricane takes the power out? As if gas stations still work with no power. BUT! Solar still works! Where are you going to get gas for your car if there's no power? Also, everyone with a brain charged their EV to 100% at home. Where you able to fuel up at home before it hit?

Idiots.
IKR…#petrolheads

M. Ralston

First Name
Marty
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Model Y
Country flag
Unified political opinions on all topics based on "right" or "left" leaning have always been both fascinating and dumb to me. Why are positions on gun control and abortion linked? Makes no sense. Anyway, the right wing position that I find most inconsistent with right wing values is the anti-EV stance. Yes, not all conservatives hate EVs, and not all liberals like them. But there seems to be this block of hardcore righties that just hate EVs and mock them and in some extreme cases key them or damage them. But why? If you are a far-right libertarian an EV is the ultimate FU to dependence on society and government and corporations. No more gas, no more gas tax. Throw some solar panels on your roof, get an EV and f**k the world!

We just had a hurricane in Nova Scotia, too, and I've seen a few anti-EV people mocking EV owners for the old "how to charge" thing with the power out everywhere, but obviously, no one can get gas. It's actually way worse for gas drivers, because they had to wait for power to be restored, and once it was, there was a panic to get gas and all the stations ran out and the lineups went around blocks. EV owners just charged at home when the power came back on and likely had a full battery when it went out.
Their anti-logic logic confounds me? Yelling freedom while being a slave to big oil that constantly receives oil subsidies…

Crissa

First Name
Crissa
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
They bought the narrative. Guy is saving the planet, and some media has issue with him. The world is nuts.
The guy can make an ass of himself in public, though. Stuck his foot in mouth bad, yesterday, apparently. Telling someone to give peace a chance while they have tanks running through their back yard is not going to make those people very happy.

My sister in law said "well what do you do with all those batteries once you're done driving with them?? Pile them up in a landfill??"
There are people who seem to think the batteries are like alkaline cells. I like to ask, 'where do all your gallons of gasoline go?'

-Crissa

OP
OP
SwampNut

SwampNut

First Name
Carlos
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla M3LR, Gladiator Rubicon
Occupation
Geek
Country flag
A friend has relatives in the strike zones. They are now having major gasoline worries, they have no power, and the house is lightly flooded. They were annoyed that a neighbor was "smugly" sitting on his patio running fans and pumps from his solar, and charging his car. They have always told my friend, who wants a Tesla as their next car, that it's a "crazy" choice. They must be really super-fit people with all the mental gymnastics.

BillyGee

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Model Y P, Model 3 LR, Founders CT (Ordered)
Occupation
Technician
Country flag
Their anti-logic logic confounds me? Yelling freedom while being a slave to big oil that constantly receives oil subsidies…
There's basically no way to get disconnected from any kind of interdependence in modern society, but everyone should strive to add more than they take. Be it solar on your roof, not running your ac/heater while you're at work, running the laundry and dishes at night, little things all add up.

Problem is that people just don't like change.

OP
OP
SwampNut

SwampNut

First Name
Carlos
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla M3LR, Gladiator Rubicon
Occupation
Geek
Country flag
Problem is that people just don't like change.
In my area, there are penalties for doing the wrong thing, and discounts for doing the right thing. Hearing some obstinate neighbors complain about the penalties is hilarious, because they call it "gouging" and "treating us like children." Well kids, if you are doing the right thing, there are no penalties, are there? How do you penalize/incentivize YOUR kids?

Sheesh.

If you care about details...we have a higher rate for power from 3pm to 8pm, and we have a "demand charge" once a month. Your highest one-hour peak earns a charge to maintain grid peak ability.

firsttruck

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
none
Country flag
It's basically a matter of their attitude, misinformed by public opinion. They generally can be educated but the real sticklers are ones who are cynical and choose to ignore the facts that give a good case FOR electric vehicles.

I said, uh, they can be repurposed to be energy stores for microgrids, and recycled to become new batteries again. To which she had no response and just sighed while shaking her head. For context she loves her V8 GMC Suburban.

There are people who seem to think the batteries are like alkaline cells. I like to ask, 'where do all your gallons of gasoline go?'
Yup

Most every fossil fuel ICE vehicle has a lead-acid battery which die fairly regularly and most of the lead in the battery is recycled (in developed countries). I vehicle accodents or during recycling, spilling of acid from these batteries is common.

Lead-acid batteries are more deadly to the environment than LFP ( Lithium Iron Phosphate ) batteries. Whole

LFP batteries are even recyclable to higher degree than lead-acid batteries.

Last edited:

Crissa

First Name
Crissa
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
LFP batteries are even recyclable to high degree than lead-acid batteries.
Potentially. (They contain less plastic than Lead-Acid batteries.) Not yet currently. But we're getting there... This is where government should shine, supporting startups to handle recycling and mandating recycling on the manufacturers. If their products end up in the landfill, it's their fault, anyhow.

-Crissa
Sponsored