Ogre

First Name
Dennis
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Model Y
Country flag
Yes, but your comment was that you wouldn't put much weight into Musk's comment that beta Cybertruck would be driving around in a few weeks. You seem to be taking a very narrow position here for what should be broadly interpreted as initial production line beta units getting ready to start being (slowly) produced as the production processes are tested.
Huh?

I just think that when they give a date for the assembly line being nearly ready they probably have a good idea about whether it’s right or not. They can literally walk the production floor and see it.

Ogre

First Name
Dennis
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Model Y
Country flag
Bespoke meaning “custom” right?
When I hear bespoke what I always see is a product built one at a time for a single customer. The opposite of assembly line.

I think for Tesla to call a truck a beta, it would be the output of one of their assembly lines.

OP
OP
greggertruck

greggertruck

First Name
g
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.twitter.com
Vehicles
Dual-CT
Occupation
I post Cybertruck stuff on the Internet and people like it.
Country flag
For awhile Tegtmeyer has been touting a GA2 or GA3, I really wonder if they can use lines for other cars? Different robotic profiles? How’s that work ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

firsttruck

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
none
Country flag
Bespoke meaning “custom” right?
Yes

bespoke is “custom made”, “made to order”. It's anything that has been designed specifically created and crafted to meet your specific needs.

I think might also apply to a standard design/model that has been modified to your specific needs.

Jhodgesatmb

First Name
Jack
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.arbor-studios.com
Vehicles
Tesla Model Y LR, Tesla Model 3 LR
Occupation
Retired AI researcher
Country flag
I do not think they would set up the lines but they might get the presses and do cybertruck in 2 lines. 3 months ago Sandy Munro visited IDRA and was shown a 9k ton giga press and a press that was disassembled and being shipped to the USA. It was not clear from the video that the press being shipped was a 9k ton one but it was red and white Tesla press. My point is that there are probably more than 1 9k ton giga press. They are not only needed for CT but probably also for robotaxi. If the pressed Sandy saw was being shipped 3 months ago was a 9k press then it would have arrived long before @greggertruck shipment... I think we missed the first 9k ton press being installed in Austin and that it is already there and this latest shipment is additional press.
The timeline from showing us the 9k ton press till now is too long... Idra has a start build of press to delivery to customer of 12 months. They dont waste 3 months of that time shipping considering that there is still assembly at the other end.
It probably takes 1 month to install / reassemble a press. Timeline seems to long ...
Do we really think Tesla is planning a ramp mid next year if they have no beta models yet? That they are still installing the machine to make the parts that will make beta models. This timeline seems too short....
Joe has been going to GigaAustin super early on a regular basis to video the inside of the die casting area and he has yet to see a 9K installed (not to mention that he 'has' videoed a lot of activity to change the foundations and the bridge cranes). Also, with 3 drone pilots wanting/expecting to see IDRA deliveries, unless they intentionally deliver after dark and somehow get all of the pieces into the die casting area before dawn, they will never deliver w/o one of the drone pilots catching it...and I don't think (especially after the exoskeleton delivery) that Tesla cares what the drone pilots see. So there has been no 9K IDRA gigapress delivered. Like others (most notably @greggertruck) I am checking the shipping schedules every day now, and even though I haven't a clue how best to do it I suspect that if we see a delivery at the Port of Houston it will get announced almost immediately.

The best we can do is to keep our eyes open and offer up any tangible news here if anyone finds it.

OP
OP
greggertruck

greggertruck

First Name
g
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.twitter.com
Vehicles
Dual-CT
Occupation
I post Cybertruck stuff on the Internet and people like it.
Country flag
Joe has been going to GigaAustin super early on a regular basis to video the inside of the die casting area and he has yet to see a 9K installed (not to mention that he 'has' videoed a lot of activity to change the foundations and the bridge cranes). Also, with 3 drone pilots wanting/expecting to see IDRA deliveries, unless they intentionally deliver after dark and somehow get all of the pieces into the die casting area before dawn, they will never deliver w/o one of the drone pilots catching it...and I don't think (especially after the exoskeleton delivery) that Tesla cares what the drone pilots see. So there has been no 9K IDRA gigapress delivered. Like others (most notably @greggertruck) I am checking the shipping schedules every day now, and even though I haven't a clue how best to do it I suspect that if we see a delivery at the Port of Houston it will get announced almost immediately.

The best we can do is to keep our eyes open and offer up any tangible news here if anyone finds it.
They have truck docks into the press area. They very well could just back up a truck and unload many things. Not everything, and those super crazy huge pieces could be on a bait somewhere. But they could have stuff inside.

Joe hasn’t seen inside in like a week or so on the press side.

Jhodgesatmb

First Name
Jack
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.arbor-studios.com
Vehicles
Occupation
Retired AI researcher
Country flag
For awhile Tegtmeyer has been touting a GA2 or GA3, I really wonder if they can use lines for other cars? Different robotic profiles? How’s that work ¯\_(ツ)_/¯
It isn't just Joe that is saying that. Tesla submitted plans to the State of Texas for the GA2/GA3 expansion many months ago. In the original approval there were only 5 'buildings' cited (stamping, machine shop, painting, die casting, and general assembly). In the 'more' recent petition they had the plastics factory, the cell factory, and the 2 general assembly areas. Sorry but you will have to go look at Joe's archives to find when and what exactly. I suspect that the stamping extension has not been submitted to the state yet.

Just because an area is designated as a general assembly area doesn't tell us what will be assembled there. We also haven't seen plans for the drivetrain factory as far as I know, and that is certainly a major part of the factory.

Jhodgesatmb

First Name
Jack
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.arbor-studios.com
Vehicles
Occupation
Retired AI researcher
Country flag
They have truck docks into the press area. They very well could just back up a truck and unload many things. Not everything, and those super crazy huge pieces could be on a bait somewhere. But they could have stuff inside.

Joe hasn’t seen inside in like a week or so on the press side.
To use your own terminology, Come On Man :) it is one thing to be a wishful thinker (I believe you have the glass half full approach) but it is another thing to base that rosy perspective on evidence and history. Evidence and history tell us that those parts will arrive at roughly the same time on HUGE trucks and that it will take a lot of effort (time) to get them unloaded, let alone into the die casting area. But go ahead.

Jhodgesatmb

First Name
Jack
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.arbor-studios.com
Vehicles
Occupation
Retired AI researcher
Country flag
I don’t think they would call it a beta if this were the case.

The beta is to test production, not a proof of concept. POC is what the prototypes were for.
alpha = POC
beta = 80%/20% functionality (for testing as you say)

If they say (and they did) that they have shifted into beta mode, then there will be more trucks being seen out in the wild in short order. Also, if they say they are in the tooling phase, then whether they are building betas at Fremont or Austin doesn't really matter as they will be using the final design for significant aspects of the vehicle (exoskeleton, drivetrain, suspension most likely) and still doing tweaks on fascia, software, etc.

JBee

First Name
JB
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Cybertruck
Occupation
. Professional Hobbyist
Country flag
I tend to agree with your analysis leaning towards Tesla going all out to bring Cybertruck to market ASAP. They have committed all the large chunks of capital for the gigapresses, robots, materials and component testing, etc., and now it's a race to volume production. No more pussy-footing around!

Of course there will be roadblocks to overcome but we are in the final race of bringing everything Tesla has learned about Cybertruck development into production. Once the big capital has been commited and engineers allocated to building the lines, delays become increasing expensive. So, Tesla is now as fully committed as they can be to starting production ASAP. Money and human resources have started burning at a high rate, Cybertruck is coming to market! Let's hope the Cybertruck team is playing their "A" game! It's a job of monstrous proportions but I think they have the dedication to make it happen without too many F-up's and hopefully no critical ones like not having appropriate tires ready to go.

This is one thing I've been interested in for a long time - what kind of magical tire is going to be able to all that Cybertruck is capable of, from 0-60 in the 3 second range, to towing/hauling 14k/3.5k lbs, to cornering like a sports car and getting 500 miles of range while not sucking too bad at off-road travel? It's a very tall order because tire contruction is far more complicated than most people understand. They are not just black rubber bladders that hold enough air to support the load! I'm guessing it will be an improved version of a tire that already exists but that has been modified to suit Tesla's specs (probably had the load capacity increased along with a grippier rubber compound and sidewalls that can better resist extreme side forces.

It's a tall order to make a tire like this that does not feel like you're riding on wooden wheels with a rubber tread glued on..
I don't think there will only be one type of tyre on offer. There might be three, sport, load efficient and off-road.

Owners will ba able to choose their priority, like you can choose your on or off road tread mix ratio.

HaulingAss

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2010 F-150, 2018 Model 3 P, FS DM Cybertruck
Country flag
I don't think there will only be one type of tyre on offer. There might be three, sport, load efficient and off-road.

Owners will ba able to choose their priority, like you can choose your on or off road tread mix ratio.
I can see there being up to two tires for the initial release, one more efficient and quiet, but do you really think any of them will not handle the Cybertrucks rated load or top speed? That would require them to de-rate the truck when delivered with a tire not rated for the full load.

JBee

First Name
JB
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Cybertruck
Occupation
. Professional Hobbyist
Country flag
I can see there being up to two tires for the initial release, one more efficient and quiet, but do you really think any of them will not handle the Cybertrucks rated load or top speed? That would require them to de-rate the truck when delivered with a tire not rated for the full load.
Tyre ratings are not far out from other vehicles. Remember nearly every vehicle has to decelerate in under 3 seconds from even higher speeds. There are millions of F trucks alone with similar mass that do this safely every day. Sideways acceleration is a combination of sidewall stiffness and wheel diameter and width, so a sporty version would also have a larger wheel diameter etc. It's not that bad if you want to optimise for a few features, but its not possible to have the best of each in one tyre.

Crissa

First Name
Crissa
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2014 Zero S, 2013 Mazda 3
Country flag
Do we really think Tesla is planning a ramp mid next year if they have no beta models yet? That they are still installing the machine to make the parts that will make beta models. This timeline seems too short....
They don't need the line to make beta / gamma models. Just production intent / validation models.

-Crissa
Sponsored