Reginald
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Toyota Sienna
Occupation
Financial Advisor
Country flag

Damn it @Ogre. Every time I see your avatar, I mistake it for a sexy furry doing the catwalk down a fashion runway. And then I see the Tesla logo. And then I see myself staring at a cat butt. NO! I DON'T WANT A SNIFF OR LICK!!

And with your latest post I now have this ear-worm in my head:

Sponsored

Ogre

First Name
Dennis
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Model Y
Country flag
Damn it @Ogre. Every time I see your avatar, I mistake it for a sexy furry doing the catwalk down a fashion runway. And then I see the Tesla logo. And then I see myself staring at a cat butt. NO! I DON'T WANT A SNIFF OR LICK!!

And with your latest post I now have this ear-worm in my head:

I’ve been on a photo editing kick lately.

Deleted member 12457

We know IDRA doesn't have a forge on-site but they may have found other ways to test it.
I went to IDRA's website looking for how the metal (aluminum) is heated and couldn't easily find anything. I believe from their material that the GigaPress is a closed loop system so everything needed to cast is included. This should mean an included forge or something to melt the aluminum alloy before it's injected. IDRA has to have this capability on-site to do development of new products so I see no reason why they wouldn't have been able to do actual testing using a test mold or the actual mold(s) Tesla will be using. To be honest, there's no way I would buy something like this without seeing it actually produce the product using the equipment with my molds.

Ogre

First Name
Dennis
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Model Y
Country flag
I went to IDRA's website looking for how the metal (aluminum) is heated and couldn't easily find anything. I believe from their material that the GigaPress is a closed loop system so everything needed to cast is included. This should mean an included forge or something to melt the aluminum alloy before it's injected. IDRA has to have this capability on-site to do development of new products so I see no reason why they wouldn't have been able to do actual testing using a test mold or the actual mold(s) Tesla will be using. To be honest, there's no way I would buy something like this without seeing it actually produce the product using the equipment with my molds.
Maybe they test it with something that melts at a lower temperature.

Like cheese.

OP
OP
greggertruck

greggertruck

First Name
g
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.twitter.com
Vehicles
Dual-CT
Occupation
I post Cybertruck stuff on the Internet and people like it.
Country flag
Peak R&D costs hahahah

Dids

First Name
Les
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
04 Tacoma, 23 Cybertruck
Occupation
Self
Country flag
Idra does not have the ability to test the machines. In one of thier you tube videos they explain that they ship the machines to a partner foundry where they are tested for development.

Qball

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Model 3
Country flag
With CT parts designed to be manufactured with simplest processes with minimum number of steps will directly translate to faster ramping. Just look at the traditional way of making a body vs giga press. Every step, every process adds time, expense and more ramp up effort.

swengl

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Model S, Model Y
Country flag
Maybe they test it with something that melts at a lower temperature.

Like cheese.
The good news: aluminum is "infinitely" recyclable, so if they do use it during the setup of the press, they should be able to melt down the test runs with very little waste.

kbolt

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Model Y
Country flag
One thing to add: they need to make the molds that will go into the Gigapress, but I don't believe that is a task that is too difficult (or time consuming? anyone chime in with more knowledge on the subject). It's my understanding that one of the "new" buildings onsite in Austin will be a gigapress mold manufacturing facility which, if true, shows you how expansive Tesla plans are for utilizing the technology of the gigapress in the future. It would allow them to potentially swap molds (if production numbers get so high that they need to order another gigapress) and do runs of different body castings for different vehicles based on the demand for those vehicles until another gigapress is installed. Talk about flexibility! (and a more agile shift based on near JIT manufacturing)
What would be cool is a giga cast mold for Optimus. Maybe it could have a bunch of half body parts so you just add the wiring inside and then close it up

AlDente

First Name
Roberto
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla Model Y, Model 3 (2), Model X
Country flag
I bet parts of the c-suite don’t know.

How/where are these things “tested”? I mean, is there a 9ton gigapress somewhere else in the world that has done all the requisite proofing and boofing of the CT parts specifically?

Because I’m unfamiliar, when you say “Tesla doesn’t buy a gigapress and sit on it for 18 months” I understand from context clues that you mean to say they will be shortly going into production. Being unfamiliar, I’m not seeing why the 18 months isn’t ironing out the new fabrication techniques, line, etc., before being dialed in for production.

If not, since these are largely new materials and processes for Tesla, where else have they previously had a 9 ton press to iron everything out?
C Suite??? Tesla doesn't need no stinking C Suite ... and Tesla does not move at an old school pace. Highest GSD quotient in modern manufacturing. They have several 6 ton units and this will be essentially the same setup, just BIGGER.

TyPope

First Name
Ty
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'23 MYLR, '23 Mavrick Hybrid, '24? Cyberbeast
Occupation
Current Operations for... an organization
Country flag
That would be my guess too.
They most certainly are as they keep moving them around and the number of them changes. I was wondering why, with all the room they have, do they keep them outside? Is that because after being forged, they don't want them to heat the place up as they cool down? Maybe that'll change when they get the permanent switchyard up and running. Perhaps they are running on low power right now. I mean, if they have enough power now, why build a bigger station? Maybe they can't get enough power to speed up the current MY line yet... or maybe they just need a larger switchyard for when they have multiple lines going at once. Hmm... :unsure:

ED_SFO

First Name
Ed
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
M3
Country flag
That's debatable. I think probably so at this point, but yea. I would bet Elon himself didn't know what the price WILL be even as soon as 60 days ago. Speculative, but even now they still do not KNOW for CERTAIN I'd say. But the C / E level probably knows the entirety of what CAN be known now.
If we know Elon, he would've set a target and let his ppl do the work.

" Hey team we need to make this truck affordable given these specs we promised. Make it happen at $60k for dual motor with 20% net margins! Go!"

This is what I think lol

Ogre

First Name
Dennis
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Model Y
Country flag
C Suite??? Tesla doesn't need no stinking C Suite ... and Tesla does not move at an old school pace. Highest GSD quotient in modern manufacturing. They have several 6 ton units and this will be essentially the same setup, just BIGGER.
Not in the traditional sense.

But they definitely have people who are the inner circle and trusted with more confidential information than others. Some people have to make the big plans and cut the big checks.
Sponsored