Peter
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2018 4 Runner Offroad
Occupation
Retired
Country flag
I’d definitely add a winch to mine if it was available as a factory option. Whatever happens, if Tesla designs something, rest assured it won’t be bolted to a front bumper and hanging off the front of the vehicle, haha.
Sponsored

ldjessee

First Name
Lloyd
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Nissan Leaf, MYLR, Kaw 1700 Vaquero
Occupation
Business Intelligence Manager & Analyst
Country flag
That is why I think it being in the frunk with a 'port' with rollers to allowing winching like any other front mounted winch. Seems to be a good place for it?

I could also see mounting one in the rear cargo area under the bed/deck.

Deleted member 3316

That is why I think it being in the frunk with a 'port' with rollers to allowing winching like any other front mounted winch. Seems to be a good place for it?

I think a winch mounted something like this ( 4:00 ) is more like Tesla thinking. Fast, versatile And very effective. I especially like the idea of a double line pull for the rear, if you need get out backwards your probably very stuck. The conical fairlead looks neat too.

Dids

First Name
Les
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
04 Tacoma, 23 Cybertruck
Occupation
Self
Country flag

Yes! Winch mounted in the frunk with a hole for the lead. Then the hole is covered by the front license plate holder. Sealed etc. So no spidies get into the liquer.

First Name
Jesse
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
1998 Jeep Laredo, 2012 jeep Patriot, and 2015 Kia Forte
Occupation
Security
Country flag
Yes! Winch mounted in the frunk with a hole for the lead. Then the hole is covered by the front license plate holder. Sealed etc. So no spidies get into the liquer.
Wonderful idea but winches should be in the front for pulling which depends on the weight balance. There is no engine anyway and spare tire will be in the back. The licenses plate still cover the winch but no cables because the companies are going lighter synthetic rope.

Matt Hanrath

First Name
Matt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Cyber Truck RN112913462, Hummer, and a Ford Explorer
Occupation
Retired HVAC Tech
Country flag
I like this idea! Only concern would be how the cable comes out? ?
It would use rollers no problem and may be better to think of using the existing motors for power. Engineering multiple possibilities is better than old school winches.
I think PTO & 3 point hitch front and back for implements for gardening/farming/construction.
Pipe dreams coming out of the whazoo. :)

ldjessee

First Name
Lloyd
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Country flag
Winch rollers are pretty common:
Tesla Cybertruck Winching... winch_rollers

Ehninger1212

First Name
Jake
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Audi A3 E-Tron - 2005 Land Rover LR3 - T-Bucket - 1951 chevy 3100
Occupation
Architect/Fabricator
Country flag
It would use rollers no problem and may be better to think of using the existing motors for power. Engineering multiple possibilities is better than old school winches.
I think PTO & 3 point hitch front and back for implements for gardening/farming/construction.
Pipe dreams coming out of the whazoo. :)
Right, i was talking more about the fact that mounting the winch inside the frunk now you are basically leaving a giant hole in the frunk. Winches are normally mounted exterior of the vehicle. A roller fairlead is not going to seal anything.

ldjessee

First Name
Lloyd
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Country flag
If you go here and scroll down till you get to the pictue of the hood or bonnet covering the frunk, you can see a big black rubber gasket/seal.

https://www.teslarati.com/tesla-model-y-hidden-features-tidbits/

I think that if they need to make the frunk air tight or just water resistant, Tesla, or many companies, can handle it.

Ehninger1212

First Name
Jake
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Architect/Fabricator
Country flag
If you go here and scroll down till you get to the pictue of the hood or bonnet covering the frunk, you can see a big black rubber gasket/seal.

https://www.teslarati.com/tesla-model-y-hidden-features-tidbits/

I think that if they need to make the frunk air tight or just water resistant, Tesla, or many companies, can handle it.
Sure, they can make it water tight.. i have no doubt.. but thats when said opening is closed. When you are pulling out line to winch and it is submerged under water or mud i dont think i would want that opening leading into the frunk or you will get a frunk full o Muck!

On the other hand, Maybe you could just Hose out the frunk??

Dids

First Name
Les
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
04 Tacoma, 23 Cybertruck
Occupation
Self
Country flag
Sure, they can make it water tight.. i have no doubt.. but thats when said opening is closed. When you are pulling out line to winch and it is submerged under water or mud i dont think i would want that opening leading into the frunk or you will get a frunk full o Muck!

On the other hand, Maybe you could just Hose out the frunk??
Darn I didn't think about being stuck with the muck higher than the winch outlet. Wait do the bumper mounted winches work when they are under the muck?

Ehninger1212

First Name
Jake
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Architect/Fabricator
Country flag
Darn I didn't think about being stuck with the muck higher than the winch outlet. Wait do the bumper mounted winches work when they are under the muck?
Yup, they sure do.

OverlandCT

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
KIA sportage, Honda CRV
Occupation
student
Country flag
any ideas if the same front recovery winch could be used somehow to pull stuff up the tailgate ramp? Maybe through rerouting the cable/synthetic rope or something? or would a separate winch be nescesary?

Jungle Jim

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Nissan Versa SL
Occupation
Military
Country flag
I am pretty sure that if customers demand it, a winch could be incorporated into the design. Its not like they lack the engineering capabilities. Personally, I think a winch could be hidden under the frunk and mounted to the body along with a couple recovery points on the front and rear.
Sponsored