Jake
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Audi A3 E-Tron - 2005 Land Rover LR3 - T-Bucket - 1951 chevy 3100
Occupation
Architect/Fabricator
Country flag
Yeah, I’m thinking outside the box. Tesla could do something different for winching besides having a warn winch hanging off the front. Tesla is building entire vehicles in China haha. You don’t know much about winches or off reading
I am fully aware Tesla is building vehicles in China.. its called sarcasm, DUDE.

Also i have plenty of experience off roading, as well as, building off road vehicles.
Sponsored

Ordinaryguy

First Name
Peter
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2018 4 Runner Offroad
Occupation
Retired
Country flag
I am fully aware Tesla is building vehicles in China.. its called sarcasm, DUDE.

Also i have plenty of experience off roading, as well as, building off road vehicles.
Whoa, there, big fella, and put that banana back in your jeans! Haha. This is just a friendly discussion. Haha.

Ehninger1212

First Name
Jake
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Architect/Fabricator
Country flag
Whoa, there, big fella, and put that banana back in your jeans! Haha. This is just a friendly discussion. Haha.
Alright, man.

for the record, it was friendly until you accused me of having no knowledge of winches or off roading.

John K

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Volt, CT reserve day 2
Country flag
I could envision a minimal setup where the winch motor is on of the drive motors. I picture the cable coming off the diagonal corner instead of center, if there was a motor per tire.

Don‘t know how I would feel putting a load on the drive motor instead of a dedicated winch motor But, the power potential is intriguing.

As for kiss Method, I would invest time in other areas instead as a mounting option to support hose who need to attach a winch, plow or other configuration.

For me, for selfish reasons, I want the truck to cut any gripes from naysayers and drive the success of the company and for the leadership and staff in the company to be acknowledge for their contributions.

rjo71342

First Name
ray
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
current:outlander phev, next:cybertruck
Occupation
custtomer service
Country flag
So far Tesla has had a conventional 12v battery in there vehicles. It would wire up the same way as any other.

Otherwise we can wire it to the main battery and make it super fast!! ? Plaid mode winch!!
but 1 thing we know 12 = lots of amps for compressor or a winch which them means a lot of heat and cool down time if have to use a lot so do for the big 400+ volt system and use low amps is the best option and time it with power for wheels also is the best option

rjo71342

First Name
ray
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
custtomer service
Country flag
I could envision a minimal setup where the winch motor is on of the drive motors. I picture the cable coming off the diagonal corner instead of center, if there was a motor per tire.

Don‘t know how I would feel putting a load on the drive motor instead of a dedicated winch motor But, the power potential is intriguing.

As for kiss Method, I would invest time in other areas instead as a mounting option to support hose who need to attach a winch, plow or other configuration.

For me, for selfish reasons, I want the truck to cut any gripes from naysayers and drive the success of the company and for the leadership and staff in the company to be acknowledge for their contributions.
i personally would not want the motors used for the winching as would need to drive wheels at same time to get out of the bog you are in so the 1st suggestion of a receiver socket for winch on both front and back is a better option

Ehninger1212

First Name
Jake
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Architect/Fabricator
Country flag
but 1 thing we know 12 = lots of amps for compressor or a winch which them means a lot of heat and cool down time if have to use a lot so do for the big 400+ volt system and use low amps is the best option and time it with power for wheels also is the best option
True, except i dont know how easy it would be to source a winch aftermarket thats for 400v. Also i have had winches burn up, but not that bad. We are talking pretty extreme abuse and cheap winches though.

Also, most winches use some pretty exposed cable.. 400v in wet mud conditions.. no thanks.

rjo71342

First Name
ray
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
custtomer service
Country flag
but they are out there noe elon has to make a smaller package ask the design team to do it

Deleted member 3316

I’ve written this in a few posts around the place. I see a few recovery options for Cybertruck.
  1. Custom wheels with stowable sheave mechanism for winch line. Use the already huge torque of the motors as the winch. Simple but not practical in every recovery situation.
  2. Hitch mounted 240v winch. Attach to front or rear hitch receiver. With control via the app and/or a wired controller.
  3. Mid mounted winch, hardwired and fully integrated enabling recovery from front or rear.
I think options 1 & 2 would give the most versatility. Option one really only enables self rescue. Option 3 would be the most slick but would probably require more maintenance.

When considering option one; the main reason you need a winch is to overcome a loss of traction. Even when bogged the drive motors have the torque needed to get the vehicle out, just no way to put the power down.

ldjessee

First Name
Lloyd
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Nissan Leaf, MYLR, Kaw 1700 Vaquero
Occupation
Business Intelligence Manager & Analyst
Country flag
I like option two the most. Since it has 220 in the back, having a cable to run to the front should not be that bad, just make sure there are no shorts in the sheath on the cable... wouldn't want it shorting out on the truck.
Of course, even with synthetic cable, still going to be heavy to move around... I thought about mounting it in the frunk with a pass thru for the front. Hitch mounted or in the vault for rearward uses.
Sponsored