Charlie
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
CybrBEAST
Occupation
retired
Country flag
Maybe they are hoping a little positive coverage will bring some of those Tesla Bucks their way.

I seriously doubt Musk has been talking to them for advertising. BI doesn’t exactly cater to the center of the truck market.
Yes..

with money floating around you make more friends.
Sponsored

Ogre

First Name
Dennis
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Model Y
Country flag
I could be wrong, but my guess is the advertising Tesla is going to do will be only on Twitter.
I find this idea odd. Unless Musk is just making a token gesture, Tesla already gets piles of free advertising on Twitter. Musk retweets Tesla and SpaceX material constantly which gets picked up all over Twitter. It would almost be overkill spending money that direction.

Twitter is old world. Maybe Tic-Toc to hit the younger generations? But I can’t imagine Musk investing in classic media like Business Insider, even if I squint hard.

Bill906

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Jeep
Country flag
My theory was based on his realization that his businesses are either:
  1. Spend no money on advertising or
  2. Relies heavily on advertising.
It was almost like a lightbulb went on in his head while on stage. I’m probably reading into things that aren’t there.

Ogre

First Name
Dennis
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Model Y
Country flag
I think Musk did a genuis acting job on stage.

Just a few weeks ago Musk just went on the air at a marketing convention talking to a bunch of businesses thinking about advertising. He wound up hiring the person who interviewed him—someone who is quite influential in the advertising industry.

Which is more likely:
  1. Musk and Tesla management have been talking about this for some time and Musk‘s time with his new Twitter CEO pushed him over the edge.
  2. Some random dude in Q&A at the shareholder’s meeting flipped a switch in Musk’s brain right then and there.
Personally I think Musk was play acting at the Q&A. Considering how much bandwidth has been spent arguing about this, Tesla management was almost certain to have expected this question to come up.

rudedawg78

First Name
Ernie
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2025 Cybertruck
Occupation
Retired USAF, Emergency Manager
Country flag

Just a few weeks ago Musk just went on the air at a marketing convention talking to a bunch of businesses thinking about advertising. He wound up hiring the person who interviewed him—someone who is quite influential in the advertising industry.

Which is more likely:
  1. Musk and Tesla management have been talking about this for some time and Musk‘s time with his new Twitter CEO pushed him over the edge.
  2. Some random dude in Q&A at the shareholder’s meeting flipped a switch in Musk’s brain right then and there.
Personally I think Musk was play acting at the Q&A. Considering how much bandwidth has been spent arguing about this, Tesla management was almost certain to have expected this question to come up.
I agree with your thinking. Elon has been asked/pressured into starting an advertising campaign for some time. You can see it all over Twitter. However, at the shareholder's meeting, Elon's facial expression looked like a light bulb just went off. I don't think that was/is the case.

Crissa

First Name
Crissa
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2014 Zero S, 2013 Mazda 3
Country flag
With every passing day I become more a more resigned to this being overpriced and therefore out of the reach of many/most.
Why do we keep getting this?

It's not supported by any evidence. Elon keeps saying 'It has to be affordable'.

-Crissa

Coolbreeze704

First Name
Bruce
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Model Y, 23 Lightning, CyberTruck (someday)
Occupation
GM Manufactured Homes
Country flag

Which is more likely:
Meet Kevin takes a hard objection to "random dude"
Tesla Cybertruck Business Insider: Tesla's Cybertruck is finally coming. It's going to rattle rivals and transform the EV market as we know it. 1684838332137

Crissa

First Name
Crissa
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2014 Zero S, 2013 Mazda 3
Country flag

Coolbreeze704

First Name
Bruce
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Model Y, 23 Lightning, CyberTruck (someday)
Occupation
GM Manufactured Homes
Country flag

intimidator

First Name
TJ
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 Ford Lariat Lightning
Country flag
Dude, the Lightning hasn't even been out a year, let alone two.

-Crissa
You could have bought a 2022 Lightning or a 2023 Lightning. In September the 2024 should start to take orders.

Of course, I don't know much, but do own a 2023 Lightning to hold me over until Tesla FINALLY delivers CTs to buyers on the East Coast.....circa Christmas of 2025.