Reaction score
Vehicles
3.0L JT // Quad CT
Occupation
solar, DCFC & battery biz owner
Country flag
class 2B is a GVWR specification​
it has absolutely nothing to do with either of those things​
class C trucks are medium duty commercial vehicles which affects insurance, registration and taxes including plates​
Sponsored

Last edited:

greggertruck

First Name
g
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.twitter.com
Vehicles
Dual-CT
Occupation
I post Cybertruck stuff on the Internet and people like it.
Country flag
What I heard, from an engineer was "the Rivian is absurdly heavy. That's just ridiculous. Lightning did a good job".

So, reading at face value... A little less than Lightning.

RVAC

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
-
So even at the higher limit of 10,000 lbs GVWR, if Tesla sticks with original payload of 3,500 Ibs, we are talking max weight of 6,500 lbs for CT.
It says 'Class 2B-3 medium-duty vehicle'. The tri motor CT, if it has 500mi of range or thereabouts, will likely fall within Class 3 (14,000 lbs max GVWR). Provided the payload still is 3,500 lbs.

Not really because the 2019 F-150 had a wide range of weights depending upon the version.
When that statement was made the highest curb weight for an F-150 was 5,697 lbs (Raptor Super Crew). I think it may be a bit optimistic to expect the dual motor's curb weight to be that low given the Model X is 5,148 lbs.

HaulingAss

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2010 F-150, 2018 Model 3 P, FS DM Cybertruck
Country flag
It says 'Class 2B-3 medium-duty vehicle'. The tri motor CT, if it has 500mi of range or thereabouts, will likely fall within Class 3 (14,000 lbs max GVWR). Provided the payload still is 3,500 lbs.

When that statement was made the highest curb weight for an F-150 was 5,697 lbs (Raptor Super Crew). I think it may be a bit optimistic to expect the dual motor's curb weight to be that low given the Model X is 5,148 lbs.
Yes, it would be optimistic to expect Tesla hit their design targets in terms of curb weights, particularly if there are unanticipated features added like 4-wheel steering, because it was only a target, and we have no way of knowing at this point whether they hit their target. Don't "expect" things you have no way of knowing. But I certainly wouldn't be surprised if they did hit their weight targets on the standard range models given the dual front and rear castings, structural battery, lack of a heavy and inefficient ladder frame, etc.

The reason the Cybertruck's structure (minus the battery) can be so much stronger/lighter than the F-150 is due to the way the strength is derived from the entire structure instead of just from the ladder frame. It's not an efficient use of structural materials to keep all the structural materials in one plane (or nearly so), as a ladder frame does. Twisting loads from a heavy trailer or cargo or unever terrain can be managed more efficiently in 3 dimensions (it's a matter of leverage). This requires less structural material and less weight.

Further, aluminum is stronger than steel for its weight and the giga-castings use the material in a more effective manner by allowing webbings and shapes more closely tailored to the actual forces. A ladder frame just uses a huge amount of (mostly) mild steel in a very inefficient manner because the loads cannot be triangulated through the entire structure and the upper structure is just dead weight riding on the rolling chassis. The 3mm hardened stainless will add additional rigidity and load capacity by acting synergistically with the rest of the structure.

Keep in mind the curb weight doesn't include options like towing packages and Heavy-duty Payload packages, both of which are required for the F-150 to reach it's maximum tow and haul limits (which are both below Cybertrucks respective limits by a good margin). These packages add considerable weight in the form of larger radiators, more coolant, transmission cooling systems, beefier stabilizer bars, beefed up frame attachment points, etc.

While we don't know if the Cybertruck will require special packages to hit the tow and haul limits announced at the reveal, this is something that needs to be accounted for to ensure apples to apples comparisons of curb weights. It wouldn't be a fair comparison to compare the weight of a truck with wimpy tow/haul limits to one that might come standard with much higher limits. Ford doesn't publish the weights of the Heavy-duty Payload packages and tow packages but the weight, at least of the Heavy-duty Payload package can be derived with simple math by looking at the GVWR and payload capacities both with and without the packages. It remains to be seen how Tesla handles the maxiumum towing and payload, but I'm guessing it won't be an add-on package.

I do think Tesla will be close to their weight design goals, perhaps only exceeding their anticipated weights due to the addition of 4-wheel steering and any other goodies that add a bit of weight. The Model X is not a good benchmark because it has a more traditional structure (no structural battery, no aluminum alloy giga-castings, no structural 3mm stainless on the exterior). We will see soon enough.

ÆCIII

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Model 3
Country flag
I'm thinking it will weigh about as much as two Model 3's. I'm wondering how close to that the actual weight will be, but we'll all find out in a few months hopefully.

- ÆCIII

Baldey

First Name
Jenia
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
tesla M3, ct reservation
Occupation
QA automation
Country flag
about 1,140 chikens
(my bet's on 6500 lbs: steel on the outside, giga castings, and structural batery should save a lot of weight)

Baldey

First Name
Jenia
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
tesla M3, ct reservation
Occupation
QA automation
Country flag
If it saves alot of weight...

...Why is your estimate in the middle of the Lightning's weights?

-Crissa
Mostly because i expect it to have double the range (500 mi), and double the horse power (800 hp+). Musk said that range might be lower at the start of production, but im still expecting something above 400 mi for the top of the line model. 6500 lbs is a top-side "safe" estimate for me, i dont know a lot about trucks and so am probably going to be wrong. 6000 or less is possible, especially for the dual motor variant. Basically i want hummer specs with a lightning weight :)

Crissa

First Name
Crissa
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2014 Zero S, 2013 Mazda 3
Country flag
Mostly because i expect it to have double the range (500 mi), and double the horse power (800 hp+). Musk said that range might be lower at the start of production, but im still expecting something above 400 mi for the top of the line model. 6500 lbs is a top-side "safe" estimate for me, i dont know a lot about trucks and so am probably going to be wrong. 6000 or less is possible, especially for the dual motor variant. Basically i want hummer specs with a lightning weight :)
Horsepower doesn't weigh... Alot... in EVs?

And if it's lighter, it'll get more range on the same batteries. We know it'll have better aero.

-Crissa

WHIZZARD OF OZ

First Name
Ivan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
VW Up!
Occupation
Electric Wheelchair Builder
Country flag
So even at the higher limit of 10,000 lbs GVWR, if Tesla sticks with original payload of 3,500 Ibs, we are talking max weight of 6,500 lbs for CT.
That's doable, especially with the refinements to date of the CT. The 2019 reveal night showed weight as 6700 lbs.
for the TRI variant (?). Very possible as the aim is for a 500 mile range, maybe even the 'Bad Ass' QUAD motor CT. However, it may come in as high as 6900 lbs.

Baldey

First Name
Jenia
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
tesla M3, ct reservation
Occupation
QA automation
Country flag
Horsepower doesn't weigh... Alot... in EVs?

And if it's lighter, it'll get more range on the same batteries. We know it'll have better aero.

-Crissa
HP is not free either, otherwise all the cars would be packed with it.. Id say 1-2 lbs per hp is fair, and probably a large underestimate. Motors are heavy, and they require more batteries for more power. Diffs, drive shafts, steering mechanisms, all heavy. Aero is better, but not better enough to be the only thing boosting range. the battery pack will have to be two layers thick, just like the hummer's.

Crissa

First Name
Crissa
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
HP is not free either, otherwise all the cars would be packed with it.. Id say 1-2 lbs per hp is fair, and probably a large underestimate. Motors are heavy, and they require more batteries for more power. Diffs, drive shafts, steering mechanisms, all heavy. Aero is better, but not better enough to be the only thing boosting range. the battery pack will have to be two layers thick, just like the hummer's.
An Energica has 170hp and is only six hundred pounds for the whole bike. My Zero has about 42hp and weighs half that. The Energica has three times the range of my Zero, too. My Zero also doesn't have CCS charging or a chain! Horsepower doesn't go up linearly with weight.

Adding horsepower isn't adding alot of weight in EVs. It's more how things are arranged.

-Crissa

Baldey

First Name
Jenia
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
tesla M3, ct reservation
Occupation
QA automation
Country flag
An Energica has 170hp and is only six hundred pounds for the whole bike. My Zero has about 42hp and weighs half that. The Energica has three times the range of my Zero, too. My Zero also doesn't have CCS charging or a chain! Horsepower doesn't go up linearly with weight.

Adding horsepower isn't adding alot of weight in EVs. It's more how things are arranged.

-Crissa
i think you just proved my point? +130hp = +300lbs? (~2lbs per hp) and this is a bike were talking about.. "double" would be a lot in car world! And i don't think 500-800 lbs is a lot of weight for double the power of a truck.. just look at an F150's range:
Curb weight: 4,021 to 5,740 lbs
Horsepower: 290 to 700 hp

Sure most of Energica's weight is the battery, but you wouldn't stick your zero's battery on an Energica's motor.. I mean you could, but even if you matched the KV that motor would make that tiny battery sag like crazy. Bigger motor, requires more battery, requires stronger frame.

I live EVs. I gots two electric unicycles, a one wheel, and ive made over a dozen drones. I think i have more lithium in my basement, than i have in my garage. My house is a bomb, is what i am saying.

Last edited:

Crissa

First Name
Crissa
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
Yeah, I was just making the point that it's not linear ^-^

The double range one will have quite alot more battery to tote around.

-Crissa

Rutrow

First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Model S, Model 3, CyberTruck Tri-motor reservation
Occupation
Firefighter
Country flag
CyberTruck will weigh 2406.9 lbs.

That's the curb weight on Mars tho. I don't know the Earthly conversion.
Sponsored