intimidator

First Name
TJ
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 Ford Lariat Lightning
Country flag
Has anyone seen anything from Tesla telling us how much it will weigh? I need to know if I have to buy heavier trailer? I carry my S on a trailer behind my RV when I go on long trips, months across country.
I see width, length, height, but not weight.
Wild guess is about 6,500 lbs

I don't know why it would weight a lot more than the Ford Lightning Extended Range.

Plus I can't seeing it weighing anywhere close to what a Rivian weighs. Rivian's engineering yielded a pretty heavy vehicle. Tesla can do better than that.
Sponsored

HaulingAss

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2010 F-150, 2018 Model 3 Perform, FS DM Cybertruck
Country flag
So even at the higher limit of 10,000 lbs GVWR, if Tesla sticks with original payload of 3,500 Ibs, we are talking max weight of 6,500 lbs for CT.
Exactly!

I'm thinking ~5800 lbs. for the 300 mile version and ~6400 for the 500 mile versions.

HaulingAss

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
Safe to say Tesla was referring to the single motor 250mi range version matching the curb weight of an ICE F-150.
Not really because the 2019 F-150 had a wide range of weights depending upon the version.

HaulingAss

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
My Lightning is 6K (standard battery pack). High trim CT will have more motors but if it is Tesla's fancy motor, it may be lighter. It has an air compressor. It has steel instead of aluminum but if the battery pack and the skin is adding structural support, weight may be coming off other parts. Giga casting may reduce weight ( eliminating welding, nuts and bolts). The tech is different from Model x. Remember original payload capacity for CT was 3,500 pounds so there may be some magic sauce to make CT lighter. If the weight is 8K, those tires would be taking a lot of abuse carrying 11,500 pounds. There may be a work truck version eliminating fancy features in favor of payload and cost. If so, I would say that version may be around 6.5K-7K.
What is the real world highway range of your Lightning if you drive 70 mph in mild conditions (50-75 degrees, no wind)? Have you ever driven 50% of the battery off at 70 mph?

If you ever have an opportunity to put it on a scale, I would like to know what it actually says. Ford often leaves a lot of stuff off when they quote weights.

Fritztech

First Name
Fritz
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2016 GMC Yukon XL Denali
Country flag
My Lightning is 6K (standard battery pack). High trim CT will have more motors but if it is Tesla's fancy motor, it may be lighter. It has an air compressor. It has steel instead of aluminum but if the battery pack and the skin is adding structural support, weight may be coming off other parts. Giga casting may reduce weight ( eliminating welding, nuts and bolts). The tech is different from Model x. Remember original payload capacity for CT was 3,500 pounds so there may be some magic sauce to make CT lighter. If the weight is 8K, those tires would be taking a lot of abuse carrying 11,500 pounds. There may be a work truck version eliminating fancy features in favor of payload and cost. If so, I would say that version may be around 6.5K-7K.
That makes it weigh about as much as my 2016 GMC Yukon XL Denali but with more payload. Sounds reasonable.

Diehard

First Name
D
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Olds Aurora V8, Saturn Sky redline, Lightning, CT2
Country flag
Last I checked the Hummer only had a laughable 900 lbs. of payload, the Cybertruck 3,500 lbs. You do the math!
I got my figure (up to 1,300 lbs) from GMC website: https://www.gmc.com/electric/hummer-ev/pickup-truck.

Regardless of which one is correct, I think we are saying the same thing; less weight helps higher payload so CT needs to watch it’s figure.

I'm thinking ~5800 lbs. for the 300 mile version and ~6400 for the 500 mile versions.
I wouldn’t be surprised if Tesla can pull that off. However they could have 6500 lb for 300 mile and +7000 lb for 500 mile with lower payload and still meet their stated goal of delivering a CT with 3,500 lbs payload. That said, I think they will do anything they can to meet or best your number. The reveal CT bed looked like steel but we saw a darker surface that could be a lighter composite. I think weight shaving is big on their list.

What is the real world highway range of your Lightning if you drive 70 mph in mild conditions (50-75 degrees, no wind)? Have you ever driven 50% of the battery off at 70 mph?

If you ever have an opportunity to put it on a scale, I would like to know what it actually says. Ford often leaves a lot of stuff off when they quote weights.
My 70+ mile highway driving is usually short so I am not sure if I can provide an accurate number but if I recall correctly, my gessometer recently showed 2.2 mi/KWh with over inflated tires on cruise at 70 mph. This guy seem to get 2.0-2.1 for 67-70 mph on his trip:

https://www.f150lightningforum.com/...as-to-california-1575-miles.15633/post-319277

I will make sure to share if I get it on scale. I have added steel running boards, aluminum racks and a bunch of junk in the frunk. I am curious myself but have never used a scale and a bit lazy. Will make sure to share if I do. I have owned a truck for over a decade but have not done everything most trucksters do. I towed a motorcycle for the first time yesterday.

Last edited:

HaulingAss

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
I got my figure (up to 1,300 lbs) from GMC website: https://www.gmc.com/electric/hummer-ev/pickup-truck.

Regardless of which one is correct, I think we are saying the same thing; less weight helps higher payload so CT needs to watch it’s figure.

I wouldn’t be surprised if Tesla can pull that off. However they could have 6500 lb for 300 mile and +7000 lb for 500 mile with lower payload and still meet their stated goal of delivering a CT with 3,500 lbs payload. That said, I think they will do anything they can to meet or best your number. The reveal CT bed looked like steel but we saw a darker surface that could be a lighter composite. I think weight shaving is big on their list.

My 70+ mile highway driving is usually short so I am not sure if I can provide an accurate number but if I recall correctly, my gessometer recently showed 2.2 mi/KWh with over inflated tires on cruise at 70 mph. This guy seem to get 2.0-2.1 for 67-70 mph on his trip:

https://www.f150lightningforum.com/...as-to-california-1575-miles.15633/post-319277

I will make sure to share if I get it on scale. I have added steel running boards, aluminum racks and a bunch of junk in the frunk. I am curious myself but have never used a scale and a bit lazy. Will make sure to share if I do. I have owned a truck for over a decade but have not done everything most trucksters do. I towed a motorcycle for the first time yesterday.
My cargo capacity number (900 lbs) for the Hummer was for the 300 plus mile version, if I recall. I think they have a ~230 EPA mile version with 1300 lbs. cargo capacity.

But they have made so few Hummer EV's, it's largely a cerebral exercise, not a practical concern at all!

cvalue13

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
F150L
Occupation
Fun-employed
Country flag

Same, and roughly confirmed at the charge station.

Anecdotal consensus is that Ford tends to sandbag it's EPA range a touch, such that even at a constant 70mph (much more demanding than EPA conditions) the Lightning still does pretty well, despite being shaped like an ice-cream truck. In my ER, with 131 kWh of usable, that ~2/kWhish amounts to about 260mi range if running around 70mph constant.

Unladen tests by eg Motortrend have done better than me (this test in a platinum with max 300 EPA): " This real-world test is run at an average speed of 70 mph to more accurately reflect what kind of range you can expect to cover on your longest drives... The 2022 Ford F-150 Lightning Platinum achieves a MotorTrend Road-Trip Range of 255 miles, or 15 percent less than its EPA-rated 300 miles."

uscbucsfan

Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Tesla Model Y, 2022 Tesla Model S LR
Country flag
Same, and roughly confirmed at the charge station.

Anecdotal consensus is that Ford tends to sandbag it's EPA range a touch, such that even at a constant 70mph (much more demanding than EPA conditions) the Lightning still does pretty well, despite being shaped like an ice-cream truck. In my ER, with 131 kWh of usable, that ~2/kWhish amounts to about 260mi range if running around 70mph constant.

Unladen tests by eg Motortrend have done better than me (this test in a platinum with max 300 EPA): " This real-world test is run at an average speed of 70 mph to more accurately reflect what kind of range you can expect to cover on your longest drives... The 2022 Ford F-150 Lightning Platinum achieves a MotorTrend Road-Trip Range of 255 miles, or 15 percent less than its EPA-rated 300 miles."
It's not that they really sandbag, they just don't do the 2-cycle method like Tesla and Audi do to provide higher EPA ranges, which produce more realistic range.

SolarWizard

First Name
MB
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
3.0L JT // Quad CT
Occupation
solar, DCFC & battery biz owner
Country flag
Worth noting the payload figure is stated as
“UP TO 3500” which means that would be the max

the tri motor or “plaid” if there is one wont be rated that high.
IMO that means a single or dual truck would be in the 6000lb range to remain as a class B.

Crissa

First Name
Crissa
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2014 Zero S, 2013 Mazda 3
Country flag
Worth noting the payload figure is stated as
“UP TO 3500” which means that would be the max

the tri motor or “plaid” if there is one wont be rated that high.
IMO that means a single or dual truck would be in the 6000lb range to remain as a class B.
Why would it care about being class B by weight? They don't have emissions to meet and Tesla will not skimp on safety.

-Crissa
Sponsored