JustACTDude

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tundra
Country flag
These concepts are awesome, but I’m crazy confused. How are these going to attach to the CT? I’m obviously no engineer, but if the bed rail has the housing for the tonneau cover to slide, can it hold the weight of a rack being placed on it? Or how would a rack system work on the CT? Thx!
Sponsored

Crissa

First Name
Crissa
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2014 Zero S, 2013 Mazda 3
Country flag
These concepts are awesome, but I’m crazy confused. How are these going to attach to the CT? I’m obviously no engineer, but if the bed rail has the housing for the tonneau cover to slide, can it hold the weight of a rack being placed on it? Or how would a rack system work on the CT? Thx!
The structure that supports the entire truck is in those side walls. (Like a box girder bridge over a river; the skateboard is the deck, the sides are... the structure.) It has attachment points built in and is weldable stainless steel.

-Crissa

Newton

First Name
Newton
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
p̶r̶i̶u̶s̶ c̶,̶ y̶o̶t̶a̶ p̶i̶c̶k̶u̶p, ⼕丫⻏?尺セ尺ㄩ⼕长
Country flag
The structure that supports the entire truck is in those side walls. (Like a box girder bridge over a river; the skateboard is the deck, the sides are... the structure.) It has attachment points built in and is weldable stainless steel.

-Crissa
Yea they have shown little attachment points on the prototype. they look quite small to me and only 4, one in each corner.
hopefully the real truck has better points to attach to. it would be a shame to have to weld brackets on it. although I guess another option is drilling holes and welding inset nuts, covering with a rubber plug when not in use, or a bolt with an oring on it

Tesla Cybertruck Full Length Roof-Bed Cargo Rack Concept CTattachmentpoints

Last edited:

Crissa

First Name
Crissa
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2014 Zero S, 2013 Mazda 3
Country flag
I guess another option is drilling holes and welding inset nuts, covering with a rubber plug when not in use, or a bolt with an oring on it
My Mazda just has nuts exposed in the gutter.

I kinda wish I had some caps for them, but I've gone eight years without.

-Crissa

Dids

First Name
Les
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
04 Tacoma, 23 Cybertruck
Occupation
Self
Country flag
Yea they have shown little attachment points on the prototype. they look quite small to me and only 4, one in each corner.
hopefully the real truck has better points to attach to. it would be a shame to have to weld brackets on it. although I guess another option is drilling holes and welding inset nuts, covering with a rubber plug when not in use, or a bolt with an oring on it

CTattachmentpoints.png
I think you missed 2 points at the peak for a total of six as shown in the Tesla reveal photo of the CT with a ladder rack.
Although the last photo the lines could just be hinges for the sail storage lid

Tesla Cybertruck Full Length Roof-Bed Cargo Rack Concept Cybertruck Ladder Rack Charging Tools 4

Tesla Cybertruck Full Length Roof-Bed Cargo Rack Concept Cybertruck-Roof_rack_attachment_points

Last edited:

Sirfun

First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Toyota Avalon, Chrysler Pacifica PHEV, Ford E-250
Occupation
Retired Sheet Metal Worker
Country flag
I think you missed 2 points at the peak for a total of six as shown in the Tesla reveal photo of the CT with a ladder rack.
Although the last photo the lines could just be hinges for the sail storage lid

Cybertruck-Roof_rack_attachment_points.jpg
When I was playing around with drawing up a rack, I saw those attachment points and it makes sense. The front is at the A-pillar, the middle is at the vertical structure behind the rear door and the back one is at the corner where all the strength is for the tailgate connection.

ldjessee

First Name
Lloyd
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Nissan Leaf, MYLR, Kaw 1700 Vaquero
Occupation
Business Intelligence Manager & Analyst
Country flag
They remind me of the points for the other Tesla models that have a roof rack option.

davidngo44

First Name
david
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
cycberstruck
Occupation
Country flag
When I was playing around with drawing up a rack, I saw those attachment points and it makes sense. The front is at the A-pillar, the middle is at the vertical structure behind the rear door and the back one is at the corner where all the strength is for the tailgate connection.
You are correct....hmm I did miss it. Thank you.

ShadowRoad

First Name
Lane
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Subaru Impreza, Mazda RX-8 (hopefully Tesla Cybertruck in near future)
Occupation
Graphics Engineer
Country flag
What is that green thing on top? Is that what I think it is, a portable container that stores excess battery power? Cleaver......

I like the roof bed to transport full sticks of lumber but not the dually wheels
The green containers would be jerry cans of water, based on their color.

FullyGrounded

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
blah
Country flag
I really like the concept, but with a few caveats. I think the fog lights need to go, as they are redundant in a less capable way than Tesla's lightbar right there. Also, I would like to see the drag coefficient respected at least somewhat, in any design.

I would like to see a front bumper that fits like a glove to the CT, though it can protrude forward, in a clean way. I would like that bumper to house a capable winch, covered with a plate door that locks closed.

The rack would be great if it didn't extend beyond the roofline, horizontal from the peak. I would also like to see a heavy cover that could be used to streamline the whole unit when not in use. And, for my own use, I would like a rack system that falls short of the roofline by 8", enough for a closed rooftop tent to fit under the roofline. I prefer to sleep up top, and house all my comforts below in the vault and in the space between the vault and rack. It might also be nice to allow this rack to hinge, making available the solar vault to the sun exposure.

I'm thinking the cd of 0.30 is in huge part what gives the range we see in the different categories. And, I think we can carry the same gear, using a rack and bumper system that respects this. My choice of where to lose some of this is in the tires/wheels I will choose, since this can directly be attributed to significantly greater capability in very many off-road conditions that I will face. peace

Spaceologist

First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Model X, F-150, Miata
Occupation
Brewery owner
Country flag
This post just brought me to the forum via a google search. Thanks for taking the time to model it out. I can’t wait to see what the aftermarket does with the CT. SEMA is going to be awesome.

craz

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Dual Motor Cybertruck
Occupation
Engineer
Country flag
Sort of unrelated to the roof rack (which I love): what size tires and what ground clearance are modeled in those renders? The stance of your CT looks better than the real one imo
Sponsored