Towing tested with 6,000lb Tesla and trailer load

newwave1331

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Ordered: Cybertruck Tri FSD x 3
Country flag
It is only to emphasize how, with just one example that has already occurred, the zany idea the OEM’s “can’t fix” what little problems there are.

Ford segmented Model E as a new business, then within 12 months forced their hand.

And the 1/2 half of the dealerships? Ford has right of first refusal to purchase their dealerships.
McKinsey & Company playbook.
Sponsored

newwave1331

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Ordered: Cybertruck Tri FSD x 3
Country flag
I'm continually astonished at the amount of people who are willing to to bring out a whiteboard with mathematical equations in order to try and prove the validity of a demo about a truck 🙄
Tell me you never met an engineer without telling me you never met an engineer.

E-raticProphet

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Model 3
Occupation
Software Engineer
Country flag
We need a real world test with an Airstream. This post started off with some pretty shoddy math. I don’t believe the range will be 300 miles, but 87 assumes a lot.

dssoren

First Name
Daren
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Cyberbeast
Occupation
Retired military
Country flag
zimage7151.png

Should be noted that the efficiency of the CT currently does not look to bad compared to other truck EVs like the Silverado. I think the significant issue (other than price) is that the battery pack in the CT is 123kwh where the Silverado and others just have a much bigger 200+kwh battery pack which allows them to get a lot further down the road when towing.
My bet is the Silverado will get about 1kWh/mile towing an average size load.

Makes me cringe as I just paid $.50/kWh to charge yesterday.

dssoren

First Name
Daren
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Cyberbeast
Occupation
Retired military
Country flag
TFL ran the Silverado EV (WT 450 mile model) 232 miles with a 6.5k tow load. Everyone's math is the pretty much the same: ~1.1 miles per kwh in good weather when towing this sort of load. The CT will get around 135 miles with its 123kwh battery, the Chevy gets 232 with its 212 kwh battery. The RST version will get about 10% less due to bigger wheels and more weight. The CT with road tires will get about 5% more than the FS version. It's all about the kilowatt hours.

so that’s about 8-10 mpg equivalent to a gas truck.

dssoren

First Name
Daren
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Cyberbeast
Occupation
Retired military
Country flag
no, end of the day, one goes further than the other, full stop

I think the point instead is that people are variously all wound up about “what black magic explains that shocking result!?”

And that the answer is there’s no black magic.

A Ford Lightning ER has the ICE equivalent of a 13 gallon gas tank. It’s that simple.

There also aren’t ICE trucks that can tow any further on only 13 gallons, least of all in 60° weather at 70mph.
13 gallons at my local gas station right now is $3.99 = $51.87

123kWh at my local fast charger right now is $.50 kWh = $61.50

Bsimmer3000

Banned
Banned
First Name
Barri
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
F150
Country flag
It’s amazing the mental gymnastics of people that consider 100miles long haul towing 😂. Based on my calculation of my trailer weight and aero efficiency compared to towing a flatbed with a car I’m looking at around 40/50miles range and I’m not even close to the max tow spec of the truck. Is is 50miles considered long haul towing now. I see this situation no different than FSD. There’s guys who swear by it and have literally no issues and it’s always the drivers fault in their eyes. Yet there’s a segment of people who have it who say it’s unsafe, it don’t work, it can’t do even the most basic of functions and they wish they didn’t get it. It’s hard to know who to believe if you haven’t driven with FSD yourself.

I’m not sure how these people can’t keep defending the range issue. Long haul towing in my mind would be 6hrs plus. Basically your typical gas tank worth of towing. Short haul would be your next town over. Typical tge distance a lot of people travel for work. For us that 30 miles north and south. I can’t even get to them towns and back without stoping to charge. We get it it’s not a long haul truck and I don’t think there’s a single person who would consider it so. But to not be able to run over to the hardware store in the next town and back without having to charge is crazy. Since when did time become so invaluable. It’s as if having to charge on a 60mile trip is normal to some people. At first I was glad they didn’t build the extender pack into the truck but it’s looking like the only way for my use case to be useful is to get the extra range and extender pack but that takes up my bed which only being a 6ft bed to begin with won’t work in my situation as I need 10ft material handling. This explains why so many people bought the range extender. I never expected it to sell but now I understand why. Really want to see a review of the CT towing a typical size trailer. At least a 7x14 dual axle enclosed. If it can get 100miles then that works for me. I’m doubtful though.

SentinelOne

First Name
Jason
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
See Sig
Occupation
IT
Country flag
13 gallons at my local gas station right now is $3.99 = $51.87

123kWh at my local fast charger right now is $.50 kWh = $61.50
Right now being the key word (was nice pumping 32g of diesel this morning at < $3 gal) that being said, my home electric cost is $12c per KW or < $15 for 0-100% on CT.

OP
OP
Gigahorse

Gigahorse

Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
1 Million Miles on ICE Toyotas, Waiting for CT
My bet is the Silverado will get about 1kWh/mile towing an average size load.

Makes me cringe as I just paid $.50/kWh to charge yesterday.
50cents!?! where are you located?

Reactions: REM

canyoncarver

First Name
Nunya
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Model Y
Occupation
Engineer
Country flag
The amount of coping in this thread is hilarious.

Something not mentioned is that many people are going to expect to tow in cooler temperatures, or cross winds, or after a couple of years when the pack has lost 5% or more of its max range.

They just aren't there yet.

I expect that the range with the extender is where Tesla would like to be with the internal main battery but it will take another 3-5 years of battery development to get there.

A lot of my friends and neighbors tow stuff and none of them are towing less than a couple hundred miles round trip... they absolutely won't consider a CT with these limitations.

BayouCityBob

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2018 Model 3
Country flag
so that’s about 8-10 mpg equivalent to a gas truck.
Not sure I understand your comment. On an energy consumed basis, a gallon of gasoline has 33 kwh of energy so driving at 1.1 mile per kwh while towing (as in this video) means that the EV is getting 36 miles per gallon on an energy-equivalent basis. The F150 got 9 mpg. The EV is four times more efficient (no surprise).

On an economic basis, if you are at national average residential electricity prices (0.14 per kwh) the cost is 13 cents per mile in the EV and at national average gasoline prices ($3.07/gal) the cost is 34 cents. At commercial electricity rates the cost is 9 cents. At the extortionate EA prices, the cost is the same per mile.

I find the "mpg" comparisons largely meaningless but those are the data as I see them.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gasoline_gallon_equivalent
Sponsored