Mini2nut

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2019 Tacoma TRD Pro
Country flag
It’s still amazing to me that most full size pickups still use leaf springs that were originally used in carts and carriages.
Sponsored

CyberMoose

First Name
Jacob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Model 3
Country flag
They are pretty strong and reliable, especially for semi trucks. When I was in highschool I did a coop at an industrial auto shop and we were constantly replacing leaf springs. Another huge factor for them is that they are much cheaper than something like an automatic air suspension and quite easy to replace for maintenance. Air suspension is nice, automatic/adaptive air suspension is beautiful, but they each come with added costs.

ldjessee

First Name
Lloyd
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Nissan Leaf, MYLR, Kaw 1700 Vaquero
Occupation
Business Intelligence Manager & Analyst
Country flag
They are pretty strong and reliable, especially for semi trucks. When I was in highschool I did a coop at an industrial auto shop and we were constantly replacing leaf springs. Another huge factor for them is that they are much cheaper than something like an automatic air suspension and quite easy to replace for maintenance. Air suspension is nice, automatic/adaptive air suspension is beautiful, but they each come with added costs.
Drum brakes are cheaper than disk brakes. They are still on some motorcycles, where smaller, lighter weight components are very much what is designed for, but a brand new motorcycle can still have a rear drum brake... never mind that it over heats and loses stopping power, never mind that it is heavier than a disk brake, and never minde a disk brake can easily have ABS added... which higher end motorcycles are coming standard with now.

Sometimes a manufacturer thinks that safety is not the first concern, that cost is the first concern.

I am glad Tesla seems to put safety higher on their priority list.

CyberMoose

First Name
Jacob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Model 3
Country flag
Drum brakes are cheaper than disk brakes. They are still on some motorcycles, where smaller, lighter weight components are very much what is designed for, but a brand new motorcycle can still have a rear drum brake... never mind that it over heats and loses stopping power, never mind that it is heavier than a disk brake, and never minde a disk brake can easily have ABS added... which higher end motorcycles are coming standard with now.

Sometimes a manufacturer thinks that safety is not the first concern, that cost is the first concern.

I am glad Tesla seems to put safety higher on their priority list.
Yes safety is definitely the highest priority for most companies I would say. If something can meet regulations to be considered safe, I think most companies would strive for that. While yes more safety is better, a company still needs to be profitable.

Drum brakes and leaf springs aren't unsafe, especially when you are driving properly. Just like a racecar style seatbelt would offer more protection but would also be more expensive in cars.

Crissa

First Name
Crissa
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2014 Zero S, 2013 Mazda 3
Country flag
The only place a drum brake is allowed is the rear wheel of a motorcycle... Where you don't use extra braking and you actually want less stopping power in an emergency.

Overheating isn't an issue in a motorcycle rear brake.

Most no longer do because the drum brake would be a special part now,

-Crissa

Ryan95738

First Name
Ryan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
CyberTruck
Occupation
CNA
Country flag
The only place a drum brake is allowed is the rear wheel of a motorcycle... Where you don't use extra braking and you actually want less stopping power in an emergency.

Overheating isn't an issue in a motorcycle rear brake.

Most no longer do because the drum brake would be a special part now,

-Crissa
I really liked the drum brakes in my Toyota, and I wasn't even that old

Crissa

First Name
Crissa
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2014 Zero S, 2013 Mazda 3
Country flag
I really liked the drum brakes in my Toyota, and I wasn't even that old
I had drum brakes on my last new car's rear, and they sucked 'cause they would fuse together and needed to be replaced as a unit. Glad they're gone.

-Crissa

Last edited:

ldjessee

First Name
Lloyd
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Nissan Leaf, MYLR, Kaw 1700 Vaquero
Occupation
Business Intelligence Manager & Analyst
Country flag
The only thing good about drum brakes for me is that I know I could make a drum brake from scratch. I am sure I could not do that for a diskbrake.

FullyGrounded

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
blah
Country flag
Great video, thanks for the thoughtful insight.

I tend to go very simple here: Put a suspension under the CT that actively checks dozens of parameters, millions of times per second and makes incremental changes to constantly better the performance of the box on top of it, and that would be beyond game changing for any truck owner. peace

rr6013

First Name
Rex
Threads
Reaction score
Website
shorttakes.substack.com
Vehicles
1997 Tahoe 2 door 4x4
Occupation
Retired software developer and heavy commercial design builder
Country flag
I’ve been pretty heads-up on here for sake of a Cybertruck to rule them all. I am sold on the design with a deposit on a tri-motor. Its not a unicorn. Air suspension isn’t new nor independent suspension - dynamic dampening neither.

Three things about independent air suspension:

Military air suspension experienced increased “ rollovers” early in its program. Hopefully Tesla has that contained by dynamic software.

Range Rover air bags leak. Bits of crud, rock and debris puncture bags. Cost $1500per to R&R- too expensive. Tesla engineering need step-up the state of the art to add durability.

Independent suspension is “frigin’ amazing”. My 1967 BMW 1600ti introduced it and my 2002tii maxed it. Cybertruck dynamic software control could take it to the next level. Suburu independent AWD shames traditional 4x4’s in mud, sand, climbs and water cross already. Tesla, you allude, are expanding to fringe use-cases of rock crawling, Baja desert and towing. Like the saying goes “ pick two”!

Leave Jeep to the rocks and tackle the Raptor/F-150 series. Subaru is quietly watching its owners take-on the “ big boy” naysayers and their toys. Alot of boys leave swearing. I owned two Subaru’s. Shift on the fly 4 wheel drive in 1976 was the bomb. Were it not for the motor needing a rebuild every 72k, I’d still be driving one.

Desert conditions are systemically challenging. Moving air at high frequency cycles both asynchronous and harmonically at all four corners will be a feat of engineering. Temperatures change volume so mapping changes incrementally. I’ve blown more tires in the desert on hot asphalt. Hoping Cybertruck can exchange air to keep tires safe.

Towing situations are well known and Tesla engineers have already cracked them on independent 4 axels. So I am thrilled to take this plunge with Elon et. al. at Tesla. It’s that sofware defines the cyber in Cybertruck, but welcome any surprise Elon has in store.

Let‘s get this show on the road!

Dids

First Name
Les
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
04 Tacoma, 23 Cybertruck
Occupation
Self
Country flag
I’ve been pretty heads-up on here for sake of a Cybertruck to rule them all. I am sold on the design with a deposit on a tri-motor. Its not a unicorn. Air suspension isn’t new nor independent suspension - dynamic dampening neither.

Three things about independent air suspension:

Military air suspension experienced increased “ rollovers” early in its program. Hopefully Tesla has that contained by dynamic software.

Range Rover air bags leak. Bits of crud, rock and debris puncture bags. Cost $1500per to R&R- too expensive. Tesla engineering need step-up the state of the art to add durability.

Independent suspension is “frigin’ amazing”. My 1967 BMW 1600ti introduced it and my 2002tii maxed it. Cybertruck dynamic software control could take it to the next level. Suburu independent AWD shames traditional 4x4’s in mud, sand, climbs and water cross already. Tesla, you allude, are expanding to fringe use-cases of rock crawling, Baja desert and towing. Like the saying goes “ pick two”!

Leave Jeep to the rocks and tackle the Raptor/F-150 series. Subaru is quietly watching its owners take-on the “ big boy” naysayers and their toys. Alot of boys leave swearing. I owned two Subaru’s. Shift on the fly 4 wheel drive in 1976 was the bomb. Were it not for the motor needing a rebuild every 72k, I’d still be driving one.

Desert conditions are systemically challenging. Moving air at high frequency cycles both asynchronous and harmonically at all four corners will be a feat of engineering. Temperatures change volume so mapping changes incrementally. I’ve blown more tires in the desert on hot asphalt. Hoping Cybertruck can exchange air to keep tires safe.

Towing situations are well known and Tesla engineers have already cracked them on independent 4 axels. So I am thrilled to take this plunge with Elon et. al. at Tesla. It’s that sofware defines the cyber in Cybertruck, but welcome any surprise Elon has in store.

Let‘s get this show on the road!
I don't think this is air bag suspension. Somewhere i saw a picture of it looked like a shock absorber with hoses coming out of it.
Sponsored