Bryan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Dodge Ram diesel
Occupation
Retired
Country flag
I expect to start seeing some cranes showing up in about a month.
Sponsored

TruckElectric

First Name
Bryan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Dodge Ram diesel
Occupation
Retired
Country flag
Tesla’s Giga Berlin electric vehicle factory plans are massive

Tesla’s fourth electric car factory under construction near Berlin, Germany, could end up hiring four times the staff currently employed at Fremont in the US, with eight Giga Presses stamping out parts for the Model Y.

The Californian EV maker has plans to produce 500,000 electric vehicles at the GrĂĽnheide site starting from the European summer of 2021, and Tesla boss Elon Musk has previously stated that the Model Y electric crossover will be a priority at the plant.

Musk said during a visit to Berlin last week that the Tesla Model Y’s “core technology” will be radically redesigned for production at “Giga Berlin” as it is otherwise known.

It is already made at Fremont using a single rear-piece casting made using a Giga Press, which is basically a massive stamping machine that improves efficiency of production, as well as enabling the end product to be lighter and therefore also more energy efficient.

Musk said in August that as many as 70 individual pieces would be replaced by die casting, and as The Driven reported in August, Tesla has already ordered at least two machines.

Now, reports have emerged that there are eight of these die casting machines, called “druckguss-machine” in German, planned for Giga Berlin.

A factory plan shared by German Tesla watcher Tobias Lindh shows footings for eight die cast machines including holding tanks, quenching tanks and melting furnaces, that will be used to make eight Model Y castings at a time.
EcKzJqGWAAAHjL2.jpg
SOURCE: TOBIAS LINDH/TWITTER

And as many as 40,000 staff could be employed at Giga Berlin over the next ten years, four times that employed currently at Tesla’s Model 3 and Model Y factory in Fremont as stated on the company’s website.

It is so many staff that Brandenburg’s economics minister Jörg Steinbach told German newspaper Frankfurter Allgemeine Zeitung that skilled workers may need to be brought in to meet demand for staff at the factory, which he says should be fully approved by mid-December.

“In perspective, the Tesla factory in Grünheide could – depending on the market ramp-up – have up to 40,000 employees,” Steinbach was quoted as saying via the Berliner Morgenpost.
“We will not be able to meet the need for skilled workers from Brandenburg alone.”

“When the approval for the entire project comes, is closely related to the development plan procedure. Both should be signed and sealed in mid-December,” Steinbach was quoted as saying.
Elon Musk tweeted on Friday morning encouraging people to apply for jobs with Tesla in Germany.
“Please work at Tesla Giga Berlin! It will be great fun!!” he said in German.

Initially, Tesla was planning to hire 12,000 staff, although more recent reports state that filings in July indicate 10,500 staff are currently being hired to work three around-the-clock shifts.
Tesla has also launched a 250kW V3 supercharger at a research campus in Berlin on Thursday, Reuters reports, and has plans to introduce more soon to help make the purchasing decision easier for those concerned about access to fast-charging.

The V3 supercharger allows Tesla owners to recharge their electric vehicles at a rate of 120 kilometres a minute, as long as they have the relevant maximum charging rate activated on their vehicles.

Source: The Driven

I wonder if Giga Berlin will manufacturer the CT if there is enough demand in Europe?

CyberMoose

First Name
Jacob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Model 3
Country flag
I wonder if Giga Berlin will manufacturer the CT if there is enough demand in Europe?
Tesla wants to outsell all other car manufacturers, so I think if there was enough demand for the Cybertruck in Europe, they will probably build a new factory. I expect to see a few more factories over the next 5 years, Tesla's brand is really getting more popular and they are quite affordable when you compare it to another car of similar quality, this doesn't even consider their software.

Bond007

First Name
Bond
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Cybertruck
Country flag
IDK, from the drone videos, both the Giga Berlin and Giga Texas buildings currently appear to be roughly the same size. I know the land is more in Texas, but they don't seem to be building in the entire land at present. Anyone has more information?

CyberMoose

First Name
Jacob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Model 3
Country flag
It's possible that they might extend the factory. If they are building other cars there, they will need equipment for both the Cybertruck and other models. On top of that they will also need a paint shop even if the cybertruck itself doesn't need one, plus they might make batteries there, also we have to consider employee housing. Plus they will need big employee parking spots for all those Cybertrucks that they are ordering. I kind of want to quit my job for a job at Tesla to move up the reservation line.

TruckElectric

First Name
Bryan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Dodge Ram diesel
Occupation
Retired
Country flag
IDK, from the drone videos, both the Giga Berlin and Giga Texas buildings currently appear to be roughly the same size. I know the land is more in Texas, but they don't seem to be building in the entire land at present. Anyone has more information?
Joe Tegtmeyer does videos every day on the construction of Texas Terafactory as does Jeff Roberts. Randy has done them almost everyday, I think he may have skipped a day or two since he started. Together they call themselves the Quad Squad, they all know each other.

In one of Joe Tegtmeyer's videos he does a comparison via an overlay at the beginning of the video and if it is correct Texas is bigger.

Here is a link to one of his videos where he compares Shanghai to Texas factories.

Here he compares Phase 1 of Berlin and Texas

If you subscribe to his channel you can see all his videos and each new one he posts.

Last edited:

OP
OP
BoomTrooper

BoomTrooper

First Name
Randy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Chevy Avalanche (current) , Cybertruck x 2 (preordered)
Occupation
Software Engineer
Country flag
Video covering the site plan reveal from yesterday, along with the end of day footage is now up!

Sirfun

First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Toyota Avalon, Chrysler Pacifica PHEV, Ford E-250
Occupation
Retired Sheet Metal Worker
Country flag
I was watching Giga Berlin's latest video this morning. Way more interesting to me than watching them play in the dirt every day. I'm a retired Sheet Metal Worker. This is some of the most exciting times on a project, when they're putting together the structure, it goes up quick. Especially when they have 14 cranes on the job. Can't wait to see Austin at this point in construction.

Sponsored