Jake
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Audi A3 E-Tron - 2005 Land Rover LR3 - T-Bucket - 1951 chevy 3100
Occupation
Architect/Fabricator
Country flag
Cybertruck is going to have a structural body, why would they add the SAME structural underbody they use on the other cars? It wouldnt make sense.
So tell me, what do you think they are going to have underneath the truck to support everything? Think of everything that has to get assembled.
Sponsored

Crissa

First Name
Crissa
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2014 Zero S, 2013 Mazda 3
Country flag
Cybertruck is going to have a structural body, why would they add the SAME structural underbody they use on the other cars? It wouldnt make sense.
Because what's on the sides isn't what's on the bottom.

Also, of all their vehicles, a Cybertruck needs a more structural bottom if people are going to take it where they might ground it out...

-Crissa

lqdchkn

First Name
B
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
CT
Country flag
These threads should really be merged:
https://www.cybertruckownersclub.co...tural-battery-for-cybertruck.1681/#post-26501
Since CT is supposed to effectively be uni-body it's structure will either already include the area the batteries are located (battery compartment) or will not need the "battery box" to be structural. Therefore in either case the batteries would be replaceable as an entire "pack" as in the battery box scenario or removeable for service out of the integral "battery compartment".

lqdchkn

First Name
B
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
CT
Country flag
Ok.. im just gonna leave that one alone :sneaky:
What? Yall are mixing up the mega castings as frame supports used in conjunction with a structural battery box....effectively a 3 piece frame, for the body on frame vehicles; with the need for mega castings being subframes for suspension because they are dual purpose in these vehicles.

Cybertruck will be a structural body. There will be a subframe to tie suspension parts together but it will not be in the capacity as the mega castings as it doesnt need to also support the vehicle.

Ehninger1212

First Name
Jake
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Architect/Fabricator
Country flag
What? Yall are mixing up the mega castings as frame supports used in conjunction with a structural battery box....effectively a 3 piece frame, for the body on frame vehicles; with the need for mega castings being subframes for suspension because they are dual purpose in these vehicles.

Cybertruck will be a structural body. There will be a subframe to tie suspension parts together but it will not be in the capacity as the mega castings as it doesnt need to also support the vehicle.
Can you elaborate on which "Body on frame Vehicle" in Tesla's lineup you are referring to which is using the mega casting?

Also, I really have no clue what they are going to do. Just took an educated guess. Im sure we will find out soon enough!

OP
OP

firsttruck

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
none
Country flag
For the Cybertruck to be used in farm type environments and chemicals used there, is the exposed aluminum casting safe.

In the video below, Sandy Munro talks about how they redesigned a major brand golf cart and eliminated aluminum because fertilizer corroded the aluminum. Many golf courses have major problems with corrosion of their golf carts.

Munro & Associates Tour
Jun 9, 2020
Munro Live

Crissa

First Name
Crissa
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
Geez, I was always told that aluminum had bad pitting issues with impure fertilizer but my family's cart (which I maintained most recently) has nearly none.

I expect it's more an issue in places with less stringent water-quality rules.

But the topic is aluminum inside the vehicle's structural members, not exposed. If you get fertilizer in there, you have different, more important issues.

-Crissa

OP
OP

firsttruck

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
none
Country flag
Geez, I was always told that aluminum had bad pitting issues with impure fertilizer but my family's cart (which I maintained most recently) has nearly none.

I expect it's more an issue in places with less stringent water-quality rules.

But the topic is aluminum inside the vehicle's structural members, not exposed. If you get fertilizer in there, you have different, more important issues.

-Crissa
Maybe your cart is not used enough compared to the carts owned by the golf clubs and are out there everyday.

Sandy Munro & Assoc did research on a wide variety of golf courses and talked to the people who maintain the carts and found corrosion of aluminum to be a significant issue.

Trucks used in farms and agriculture do not get used in pristine environments. The trucks carry many types of bulk chemicals or leaky liquid chemical containers. Fertilizer and chemical dust will be all over the underside.

Not just the farms and golf clubs, here is a industry article that found fertilizer corrodes aluminum severely.

Corrosion-resistant fertilizer and sulphur storage
https://www.drycargomag.com/corrosion-resistant-fertilizer-and-sulphur-storage
When exposed to humidity, urea fertilizer attacks both aluminum and galvanized steel.

Crissa

First Name
Crissa
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
Maybe your cart is not used enough compared to the carts owned by the golf clubs and are out there everyday.
My cart just turned forty, too. But it never spent time on greens or in wet storage, and only ran on municipal courses, so clearly it was mising the two ingredients needed: Prolonged wetness and poorly applied fertilizer.

But if you're getting your chemical dust inside your structural members, you're doing even more wrong than storing your truck wet and covered in caustic pollution that you paid for and then let to waste.

-Crissa

OP
OP

firsttruck

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
none
Country flag
But if you're getting your chemical dust inside your structural members, you're doing even more wrong than storing your truck wet and covered in caustic pollution that you paid for and then let to waste.

-Crissa
Maybe aluminum casting for under carraige should not be used on Cybertruck.
One of the reasons to get stainless steel Cybertruck is so I do not need to baby it.

Ehninger1212

First Name
Jake
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Architect/Fabricator
Country flag
If your concerned about the aluminum and all the chemicals your going to be pouring all over your truck, definitely don't buy an f-150. :giggle:

OneLapper

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
BMW 328d Sportswagon
Country flag
I think we'll see a relatively flat bottom on the CT, to which the current motor/suspension subframes will attach to.

Sorta like this, ---\_____/--- , with the battery in the middle and the motor/suspension subframes at the ends.

They want to make it simple and cheap, and they are already making the subframes for everything but the Y. Now, they may improve that design by making it a one piece casting, but if the CT is a exoskeleton, it doesn't need the type of castings they are making for the Y (and eventually all their other models).

Jhodgesatmb

First Name
Jack
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.arbor-studios.com
Vehicles
Tesla Model Y LR, Tesla Model 3 LR
Occupation
Retired AI researcher
Country flag

In the many discussions about the single casting rear, Elon has never talked about its strength or rigidity; only the number of parts, the cost of manufacturing a multi-part back end, the complexity of manufacturing a multi-part back end, and the complexity and time it takes to assemble a multi-part back end. I wonder if it really will be stronger. Somehow I doubt it, and for that reason alone I could see the CT front and rear ends being different and not using single castings. But i really am out of my element here.
Sponsored