Scott
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla Cybertruck, Tesla model 3 Performance
Occupation
Laborer
Country flag
The solar option would be nice. Imagine the possibilities, camping, off grid building etc.
I am definitely getting it when available.
Also an option for vehicle to house or vehicle to vehicle would be nice
Sponsored

First Name
Kurt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2015 MS 85D, 1995 Jeep Grand Cherokee
Occupation
Air traffic controller
Country flag
Even if it just counteracts the little phantom drain and/or helps with climate control in the cab, I am interested. I live in northern Minnesota, so I probably wouldn't get 15mi per day charge from it very often.

Any guesses on the price? I'm thinking maybe $3-5k

chphilo

First Name
Charles
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Cybertruck (reserved), Tundra
Country flag
I am definitely getting this option. I live in PA, so I don't expect 15 extra miles, but even 5-10 would be nice.

ajdelange

First Name
A. J.
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla X LR+, Lexus SUV, Toyota SR5, Toyota Landcruiser
Occupation
EE (Retired)
Country flag
There are other threads that discuss this. Don't expect a solar array to do as much as you might think. The numbers just don't work out. You won't even get 15 miles per day charging out of it.

As to cost a 3 square meter array will collect 3 kW on a clear day close to the summer solstice. Assuming the Shockley limit is reached by then it would produce a bit less than 1 kW and at the nominal $2.30 per Watt that means $2-3K is not an unreasonable estimate. But on a car? As it can't really do anything practical it will be in the "bells and whistles" category and probably go for $4-6K.

But yes, I'll probably get it. Bells and whistles are what this high tech stuff is all about.

Last edited:

K Doc Brown 007

First Name
Jamie
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2015 Fusion & 2019 Jeep Rubicon
Country flag
Probably not getting it.... 3 reasons:
1. Likely cost outweighs benefit
2. Concerns of durability... being it is on the cover, it’ll be moving frequently... things may get dropped on it.... It’s on a frequently used space ?
3. I put 30k + miles per year on a car.... makes the cost calculation more challenging than a local commuter

David R Kirkpatrick

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2019 P100S, Cybertruck ordered
Occupation
Retired
Country flag
There are other threads that discuss this. Don't expect a solar array to do as much as you might think. The numbers just don't work out. You won't even gety 15 miles per day charging out of it.

As to cost a 3 square meter array will collect 3 kW on a clear day close to the summer solstice. Assuming the Shockley limit is reached by then it would produce a bit less than 1 kW and at the nominal $2.30 per Watt that means $2-3K is not an unreasonable estimate. But on a car? As it can't really do anything practical it will be in the "bells and whistles" category and probably go for $4-6K.

But yes, I'll probably get it. Bells and whistles are what this high tech stuff is all about.
I agree with your estimates. My concern is the effect on the bed cover in terms of fragility and repairability. A folding solar array could be very vulnerable to scratching and other damage that would impact effectiveness as a solar collector very quickly. I’m a little afraid that it would become nonfunctioning artifact. I think that just continuing to open and close as a simple bed cover is a lot to expect. Maybe I’ll save my 3-5k for future bed cover repairs.

Lazypleb

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Subaru Forester
Occupation
Operations manager
Country flag
I’m thinking about it and it depends on the cost compared to the benefit. I’m hoping it will be worth it as it’s pretty awesome.

keyhere

First Name
Key
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Civic, KLX250S
Occupation
EE
Country flag
Really depends on price for me. Would love to have it and it would get a lot of use but can’t afford it if it’s several grand.

Eye of Elon

First Name
Paul
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Toyota Yaris
Occupation
Driver
Country flag
I am and i hope it's a solid, water proof, one piece vault cover. I just don't trust that rolling thingamajig to keep out the elements.
Tesla Cybertruck How many are getting the solar option 2014-via-vtrux-soltrux-med

Snuups

First Name
Yannick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla Model S
Country flag
I am not planning buying it. I don't think that it will do anything in comparison to cost.

keyhere

First Name
Key
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Civic, KLX250S
Occupation
EE
Country flag
I am and i hope it's a solid, water proof, one piece vault cover. I just don't trust that rolling thingamajig to keep out the elements.
2014-via-vtrux-soltrux-med.jpg
I agree wit you. Would rather a three piece or trifold version, easier to manage.

jebinc

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2019 Tesla M3, LR AWD Cybertruck on order, 2020 Suburu Outback XT Limited
Occupation
Retired
Country flag
Live in Seattle... so, no.

First Name
Nick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Tesla Cybertruck, 1988 F150, 2006 Sequoia, 1962 Scout
Country flag
Yes, solar option. With the priority of the truck being toughness the solar option should be durable as well. I hope it is an option when my number is up.
Sponsored