Jake
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Audi A3 E-Tron - 2005 Land Rover LR3 - T-Bucket - 1951 chevy 3100
Occupation
Architect/Fabricator
Country flag
This is what construction of the moon base will look like, maybe he's training the crews.....:cool:
This got me thinking how thin and light a structure on the moon would be able to be. Can you imagine one or two people just lifting huge pieces of the building into place?? What cranes?!
Sponsored

97trophy

First Name
Andy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Sienna
Country flag
Does anyone think there will be factory tours available by next years F1 race at the Circuit of the Americas in October 2021. Do they allow factory tours?
I do, I'm sure that would generate a lot of sales, I don't think they will miss such an opportunity.

Dids

First Name
Les
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
04 Tacoma, 23 Cybertruck
Occupation
Self
Country flag
This got me thinking how thin and light a structure on the moon would be able to be. Can you imagine one or two people just lifting huge pieces of the building into place?? What cranes?!
The moon has no atmosphere so you wouldn't have to build wind/weather resistance... it does have nasty ionizing radiation and meteors.... I don't think a moon base would be a building made from beams etc. Probably would be a multi layer fabric ballon.

Crissa

First Name
Crissa
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2014 Zero S, 2013 Mazda 3
Country flag
Can you imagine one or two people just lifting huge pieces of the building into place?? What cranes?!
Leverage is still a problem, though, as is dust kicked up by motion.

The moon has no atmosphere so you wouldn't have to build wind/weather resistance... it does have nasty ionizing radiation and meteors.... I don't think a moon base would be a building made from beams etc. Probably would be a multi layer fabric ballon.
More likely concrete foam made from local materials. Then inflatables inside where joints are, then sealed so they don't take wear and lose air.

-Crissa

Dids

First Name
Les
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
04 Tacoma, 23 Cybertruck
Occupation
Self
Country flag
Leverage is still a problem, though, as is dust kicked up by motion.

More likely concrete foam made from local materials. Then inflatables inside where joints are, then sealed so they don't take wear and lose air.

-Crissa
Watching videos of lunar rover there is a fair amount of dirt thrown up but it isn't a dust cloud. No atmosphere to hold it so it continues away until the gravity brings it back down. Plus you would be wearing a suit so I don't think dust is that big of an issue.
Why is leverage an issue? Its not zero g.... but it would be funny to hit something with a hammer and your whole body skids back 3 ft

Cebliminal

First Name
Al
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R/T Durango, Harley Davidsons, Toyota Tundra 4x4 put deposit down for Cybertruck
Occupation
Executive Chef/Food & Beverage Director
Country flag
This is great news for all Cybertruck reservation holders. I can’t wait for Elon to show off the production version (December)? It’s getting exciting!

Tesla Cybertruck production edges closer as Giga Texas reportedly shifts to 24/7 construction [Video]

https://www.teslarati.com/tesla-cybertruck-production-giga-texas-24-7-night-construction-video/

Tesla Cybertruck reservation holders will be happy to learn that the electric car maker is reportedly ramping the construction of Gigafactory Texas by shifting to 24/7 operations. According to drone operator and Tesla enthusiast Jeff Roberts, there are now three shifts for Giga Texas’ construction work, meaning there will be continuous progress on the construction site.

“Well, it’s happened; Tesla has effectively doubled [its] productivity by approving 3 crew shifts to work 24 hours per day, 7 days per week- effective IMMEDIATELY!” wrote Roberts in the description of one of his latest videos.

In September, Teslarati reported that Tesla estimated Giga Texas would have its “First Dry-in” by December 30, 2020 and its “First Substantial Completion” by May 1, 2021. A “dry-in” means a building’s shell is sufficiently complete enough to place equipment inside it. With 24/7 construction work, Tesla might be able to meet its December goals and begin trial production for the Cybertruck.

With Model Y production already started and ramping, Giga Texas’s most significant contribution to Tesla would be Cybertruck production. Texas will be the first Gigafactory to produce the Cybertruck, one of Tesla’s most unique and controversial electric vehicles to date, and it probably won’t be easy.

Like early Model 3 production, Tesla has not refined the mass production of the Cybertruck. Plus the all-electric pickup truck has a unique design that utilizes an origami-like process to create its triangular exoskeleton made of 30X steel. Even Elon Musk has said it will be a challenge to mass-produce the Cybertruck.

With three shifts and 24-hour construction going on at Tesla’s factory in Austin, Giga Texas may rival the lightning speed of Giga Shanghai. Tesla China workers were able to complete the first phase of Gigafactory Shanghai less than a year since the beginning of its construction. The first production Model 3s were rolled out exactly one year after its ground-breaking ceremony.

Another drone operator, who closely follows the Texas Gigafactory’s progress, Joe Tegtmeyer, went into detail about how much work was accomplished in Tesla’s Austin construction site thus far. Tegtmeyer noted that Giga Texas workers made a lot of progress in its construction since last week.

Roberts compared Giga Texas’ progress with Giga Berlin, too. “Once upon a time we compared progress with Berlin in terms of “at X months, they were at this point, and in X months Texas is past that point” for example. Well that comparison is over because Giga Texas is about to literally catch up and surpass Germany in Gigafactory creation and then in products off the line! Woo hoo, the competition is REAL everyone!” he wrote.

Once Giga Texas is operational, it will start with Model Y production first, probably while Tesla is refining the production process of its Cybertruck. Tesla’s Fremont Factory already manufactures the Model Y so Giga Texas will only help increase the company’s production numbers in the United States.

Check out Jeff Roberts video of Giga Texas’s night construction below!

That video brought tears of joy Elon and Texas kick ass

Reactions: Ryv

Sirfun

First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Toyota Avalon, Chrysler Pacifica PHEV, Ford E-250
Occupation
Retired Sheet Metal Worker
Country flag
That video brought tears of joy Elon and Texas kick ass
That video brought back memories for me. About 15 years ago I worked on a project for a chip manufacturer that was 2 shifts 24/7. I was working night shift and I remember driving a fork lift across the street from a motel and I hated the back-up alarm on that fork lift, because I knew it was disturbing people's sleep. So many times I felt like I was in the crosshairs of a rifle sight. :oops:
But, it also made me realize how important this is to Tesla, to get this job done. The only times companies are willing to pay the premium of overtime pay like that, is when there's a ton of money on the line. Tesla knows, the sooner that factory gets done and they're selling Cybertrucks & Semi's the sooner they start making huge profits. And the sooner the world realizes the end is near for ICE vehicles.

Frankenblob

First Name
Frank, USA is the BEST. Communism SUX
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
M38A-1, Trans-am
Country flag
That video brought back memories for me. About 15 years ago I worked on a project for a chip manufacturer that was 2 shifts 24/7. I was working night shift and I remember driving a fork lift across the street from a motel and I hated the back-up alarm on that fork lift, because I knew it was disturbing people's sleep. So many times I felt like I was in the crosshairs of a rifle sight. :oops:
But, it also made me realize how important this is to Tesla, to get this job done. The only times companies are willing to pay the premium of overtime pay like that, is when there's a ton of money on the line. Tesla knows, the sooner that factory gets done and they're selling Cybertrucks & Semi's the sooner they start making huge profits. And the sooner the world realizes the end is near for ICE vehicles.
GIT ER DUN!

Cyberman

First Name
Adam
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
F150,F550, Escape
Occupation
Cybercontractor
Country flag
It's awe-inspiring to look at this place being built. We are witnessing history in the making, the newest and most technologically advanced car factory in the world...wow. Everything about this place, from the design, materials, execution is state of the art. Breathtaking, for sure. Am I excited? Hells to the yeah.

empiredown

Banned
Banned
First Name
Stacy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
19 Carrera T, 20 MY LR AWD, 21 F-150
Occupation
Retired and Loving It...
Country flag
I hope they let us pick up CT from the factory. Anybody else interested in doing this? I don't think Tesla has done this with other vehicles since the roadster.
Like many, I’m just up the road and would gladly drive a bit further than to Pond Springs in Austin for delivery... Speaking of which, I think it would make more sense to try and do deliveries from the factory than to try and wedge us all into that crazy small side parking lot for deliveries in town. It’s comical now, it will be a complete clown show later given numbers and the actual size of the vehicles...

Ăź

fritter63

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2018 Model 3 LR, 2019 Model 3 SR+
Occupation
Retired Software Engineer, Woodworker and guitar builder extraordinaire
Country flag
Like many, I’m just up the road and would gladly drive a bit further than to Pond Springs in Austin for delivery... Speaking of which, I think it would make more sense to try and do deliveries from the factory than to try and wedge us all into that crazy small side parking lot for deliveries in town. It’s comical now, it will be a complete clown show later given numbers and the actual size of the vehicles...

Ăź

let’s organize it by location so that on the way home we can have a “Tesla Train” ! ?

Sirfun

First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Toyota Avalon, Chrysler Pacifica PHEV, Ford E-250
Occupation
Retired Sheet Metal Worker
Country flag
let’s organize it by location so that on the way home we can have a “Tesla Train” ! ?
I can actually visualize this happening. Set them all on autopilot, to maintain closest distance possible and have a convoy. Do it like bicycles and rotate the lead so we can all get great range. Do a group chat, instead of CB's as we're all cruising home. Sounds like fun.:ROFLMAO:

CyberG

First Name
Geoff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2013 P85+
Occupation
Attorney
Country flag
It's awe-inspiring to look at this place being built. We are witnessing history in the making, the newest and most technologically advanced car factory in the world...wow. Everything about this place, from the design, materials, execution is state of the art. Breathtaking, for sure. Am I excited? Hells to the yeah.
I live in SoCal and will do a factory pick up if it’s available. It would be cool to get a tour while I’m there.

Carlos Thomas

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Cybertruck
Country flag
My assumption all along is that they would allow for a Factory Pick-up similar to Fremont, CA. I live 25 minutes from the Fremont facility, but I would rather take a direct one-way from Oakland to Austin via Southwest Airlines, UBER 10 minutes to Giga Tesla Austin, hopefully get to see inside the building a bit (a tour of some sort) and then drive the CyberTruck off the lot. Then make the 1,747 mile trip back home to the Bay Area. Probably would turn it into some sort of 7 to 10 day vacation/road trip.

I couldn't think of a better way to get to know your Cybertruck than that.

BTW, this is my 1st post!!
Sponsored