Steven
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Chevy Bolt
Occupation
Retired
Country flag
Almost: 4 payments left. But yeah, I could safe a lot not having payments for nearly 2 years, while it’s still under the full limited warranty. I fear just a little that I will loose value that my S has now if I let it get 2 more years old before trading or selling it.
Keep it, and invest the amount of the payment in Tesla stock?
Sponsored

Jhodgesatmb

First Name
Jack
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.arbor-studios.com
Vehicles
Tesla Model Y LR, Tesla Model 3 LR
Occupation
Retired AI researcher
Country flag
The safe bet is to keep the model S. The payment on a Y will be a lot of money.
He doesn’t want to keep a car that isn’t on full warranty and he respectfully doesn’t want to talk about that. The only option is the new car.

Owner13669

First Name
Steven
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Chevy Bolt
Occupation
Retired
Country flag
He doesn’t want to keep a car that isn’t on full warranty and he respectfully doesn’t want to talk about that. The only option is the new car.
Really? Then why is he asking what we think? I offered him my opinion, I’m not forcing anyone to do anything.

OP
OP
DES

DES

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla Model S P85D
Occupation
Software Developer & Farmer
Country flag
I’m definitely considering waiting until nearly the last minute in late 2022. My concern is selling an older AP1 car with MCU 1. The longer I wait, the less interest there will be for it. The window for it may already be gone, but waiting will make it harder. It’s not my only vehicle, and has low miles though: about 36,500. ...and I welcome and want feedback. I just don’t want to debate the merit of keeping a car past the full warranty.

Crissa

First Name
Crissa
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2014 Zero S, 2013 Mazda 3
Country flag
No it isn't. The warranty runs another 26 months.

I’m definitely considering waiting until nearly the last minute in late 2022. My concern is selling an older AP1 car with MCU 1. The longer I wait, the less interest there will be for it.
It's just a 3500$ hit, and it's basically already passed. It has a really long warranty, though.

-Crissa

Last edited:

Sirfun

First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Toyota Avalon, Chrysler Pacifica PHEV, Ford E-250
Occupation
Retired Sheet Metal Worker
Country flag
Interesting dilemma, especially now that Tesla keeps reducing the price of a new model S. There's actually a possibility that the cost to own your Model S may be comparable to owning a new Model Y because of heavy depreciation of your current car. If that were the case I would imagine the Model Y would be way easier to sell in 2-3 years also. That's what I'd be looking at, is the total cost of ownership between the 2 vehicles and then test drive a Model Y. If it's worth it to you, go for it! I also doubt you'd get the CT in less than 2 years. Who knows you may be able to drive a new vehicle for about the same cost.
One other thing to consider, with things shutting down again due to Covid you may not drive the new car that much. Then is it worth it to spend more money on a car you really aren't getting good use of.
Good luck, with your choice.

Last edited:

Crissa

First Name
Crissa
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2014 Zero S, 2013 Mazda 3
Country flag
$15K over two years isn't 'heavy' depreciation for a premium-price car. And how does it compare with the otherwise cost of the Y? If you get a 2% loan for $50K that's over $20 grand right there.

-Crissa

Scot Braley

First Name
Scot
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
97' chevy 4x4 and a 2015 ford fusion hybrid
Occupation
cabinet maker / handyman
Country flag
look at it this way, what could go wrong with your S that would cost as much as two years of payments for a new Y.

CyberG

First Name
Geoff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2013 P85+
Occupation
Attorney
Country flag
I’m definitely considering waiting until nearly the last minute in late 2022. My concern is selling an older AP1 car with MCU 1. The longer I wait, the less interest there will be for it. The window for it may already be gone, but waiting will make it harder. It’s not my only vehicle, and has low miles though: about 36,500. ...and I welcome and want feedback. I just don’t want to debate the merit of keeping a car past the full warranty.
How about a non-AP car with MCU 1 that doesn’t even have parking sensors? My extended warranty runs out in February 2022, I’m just hoping there will be some purist out there who wants a rear wheel drive with the + suspension. I just had the rear subframe and motor replaced, so hopefully there are no more big ticket item fails coming after the warranty is up. My place in line is about 300k for Tri motor, I live in California and am a current owner, so hopefully those facts bump me up a bit.

Architectok

First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Model Y
Occupation
Architect
Country flag
I have tesla Model S with the full limited warranty that expires on 10/17/2022. I will hit the year limit before the miles. I am a triple-motor CyberTruck reservation holder. I ordered the CyberTruck on 12/03/2019, so I’m not at the top of the list. My issue is I don’t want to keep my Model S past 10/17/2022, as I don’t want it past the full limited warranty. Is there any chance the CyberTruck will be delivered by 10/17/2022? I don’t see that as real likely. I’m thinking maybe I’d get a new Model Y, until the CyberTruck is delivered. My thought is to get the Model Y in the next few months. I don’t want to wait until the end of my Model S warranty, and then the CyberTruck isn’t delivering, and then buy another Tesla, as it would not allow me enough time to own it long enough to get value from it. So, do you guys think the trade my Model S now and own the Y for a few years, and trade it on the CyberTruck when it comes out is a decent plan?

Est Position: 323,088
Est Position for Trim: 107,053
Est Delivery Month: 12/22/2022

Note: I don’t have any desire to debate the warranty topic, (full limited, vs battery & power train), so please respect that.
What happens if you buy a Model Y and don't want to part with it? I love mine and plan to keep it when my CyberTruck is delivered. Bruce Wayne in the daytime and Batman at night.

OP
OP
DES

DES

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla Model S P85D
Occupation
Country flag
What happens if you buy a Model Y and don't want to part with it? I love mine and plan to keep it when my CyberTruck is delivered. Bruce Wayne in the daytime and Batman at night.
Well, that is a very possible outcome, if I get the Y. I’m thinking I may keep the Y, and trade our Highlander in on the CyberTruck whenever it becomes available to me.

Jhodgesatmb

First Name
Jack
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.arbor-studios.com
Vehicles
Occupation
Retired AI researcher
Country flag
How about a non-AP car with MCU 1 that doesn’t even have parking sensors? My extended warranty runs out in February 2022, I’m just hoping there will be some purist out there who wants a rear wheel drive with the + suspension. I just had the rear subframe and motor replaced, so hopefully there are no more big ticket item fails coming after the warranty is up. My place in line is about 300k for Tri motor, I live in California and am a current owner, so hopefully those facts bump me up a bit.
Is that adjusted line position or non adjusted? The spreadsheet told me to expect delivery (also CA, also owner, adjusted position 80,000) in Q3 2022. Yours would probably be after that.

OP
OP
DES

DES

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla Model S P85D
Occupation
Country flag
Is that adjusted line position or non adjusted? The spreadsheet told me to expect delivery (also CA, also owner, adjusted position 80,000) in Q3 2022. Yours would probably be after that.
I believe that going from no building in Texas, now, to delivering over 100,000 CyberTrucks (I’m projected to be around 100,000) by 2022 Q3 or even Q4 is wishful thinking. Hey, I hope I’m wrong, as I’m really wanting to be the first of the CyberTruck owners.

Jhodgesatmb

First Name
Jack
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.arbor-studios.com
Vehicles
Occupation
Retired AI researcher
Country flag
I believe that going from no building in Texas, now, to delivering over 100,000 CyberTrucks (I’m projected to be around 100,000) by 2022 Q3 or even Q4 is wishful thinking. Hey, I hope I’m wrong, as I’m really wanting to be the first of the CyberTruck owners.
I don’t agree. In fact, I would not be surprised to see them delivering CTs in volume before the end of 2021, and the guesstimates on the number of orders and the number that will convert to sales may also be high. I just think that it would not be conservative to expect delivery by the end of February, 2022. It is wishful,thinking, I agree with that, but I am in a different boat altogether.

VolklKatana

First Name
Aaron
Threads
Reaction score
Website
ts.la
Vehicles
2019 Tesla M3 LR AWD FSD, CT3 reserved
Occupation
Data Architect
Country flag
i wouldnt base any buying decisions on that spreadsheet, its all just comparative speculation.

I have the older Model S with MCU1 as well and i have over 100k miles on mine and I am not concerned about depreciation at all. Your S is still going to get more range than most* other electric car makers, even 2 and 3 years from now, and even w/o autopilot, there is going to be a market for that. I bought my S used with 96k miles on it simply because it would depreciate less nearly all ICE cars on the road, and would be depreciating a hell of a lot slower than my silverado that had 80k miles on it. if its the warranty your worried about, i get that, but look at that total cost of ownership...short of the battery completely going, i would bet youre still going to come out ahead on maintenance costs.
Sponsored