dawootenfamily

First Name
charles
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
cybertruck
Country flag
i have not seen anything on the topic and just wanted to ask about/if there is any information out on this subject.
Sponsored

Crissa

First Name
Crissa
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2014 Zero S, 2013 Mazda 3
Country flag
We don't know.

It will probably be down to the specific 5th wheel gooseneck on whether it will collide with the sails or not.

I'm betting it will work, because I think the bed is shallower than many others think,

-Crissa

firsttruck

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
none
Country flag
i have not seen anything on the topic and just wanted to ask about/if there is any information out on this subject.
We do not know yet.

I also want to do 5th wheel towing.

Based on pictures at the Cyertruck reveal on Nov 2019, the triangular sail panels are hollow and can be used for storing stuff. The doors are on the exterior/outside side of the body so the sail panels might not be a critical part of the exoskeleton. If Tesla made the triangular sail panels detachable you could remove the sail panels so they would not collide with the front of 5th wheel trailer when the truck is turning.

ldjessee

First Name
Lloyd
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Nissan Leaf, MYLR, Kaw 1700 Vaquero
Occupation
Business Intelligence Manager & Analyst
Country flag
We do not know yet.

I also want to do 5th wheel towing.

Based on pictures at the Cyertruck reveal on Nov 2019, the triangular sail panels are hollow and can be used for storing stuff. The doors are on the exterior/outside side of the body so the sail panels might not be a critical part of the exoskeleton. If Tesla made the triangular sail panels detachable you could remove the sail panels so they would not collide with the front of 5th wheel trailer when the truck is turning.
And I agree that we do not know, but disagree, as I assume the triangular shape is structural, and thus, if the panels on the inside are cut it will break the transfer of load that the triangular shape allows.
https://letstalkscience.ca/educational-resources/backgrounders/why-a-triangle-a-strong-shape

xspoon

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Cybertruck (On Order)
Country flag
They aren't cheap but I've seen them on the road.
Yes.. I believe it will be well worth it as a typical 5th wheel or horse trailer will never work with that slope bed, but this is a great option that one could hook up that favorite 5th wheel made for traditional truck.

What do you think?

Dids

First Name
Les
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
04 Tacoma, 23 Cybertruck
Occupation
Self
Country flag
We don't know.

It will probably be down to the specific 5th wheel gooseneck on whether it will collide with the sails or not.

I'm betting it will work, because I think the bed is shallower than many others think,

-Crissa
We know the bed is 6.5 ft long. And that the tailgate might include a flip stop at 8 ft do we know the tailgate is more than 1.5 ft long. From the pictures it looks like the tail gate is about 1/3 as long as the bed so about 2 ft. That is a shallow bed. I'm with you. I think it might be able to clear a typical gooseneck.

OneLapper

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
BMW 328d Sportswagon
Country flag
We know the bed is 6.5 ft long. And that the tailgate might include a flip stop at 8 ft do we know the tailgate is more than 1.5 ft long. From the pictures it looks like the tail gate is about 1/3 as long as the bed so about 2 ft. That is a shallow bed. I'm with you. I think it might be able to clear a typical gooseneck.
I think a gooseneck trailer will be fine.

A true "5th wheel" trailer will be very tight when turning. I'm sure we'll see plenty of damages CT sails in the future.

CyberBC

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
04 Dodge Ram 3500, 2011 Chevy Volt
Occupation
Farrier
Country flag
I tow a lot of goosenecks and you might just be ok on the flats but as soon as you hit a hill or valley watch out. With the pivot point being in the middle of the bed the back of the bed can get scraped from too much angle change. I've done some damage to trailers and trucks. It's good that the CT sail tapers to the back. It's bad that there is so much clearance under the CT. 4x4s tend to have more problems because being taller they make some trailers tilt up. Time will tell, but I think it will come down to individual trailer design. If trailers are designed specifically for the Cybertruck that would be ideal.

Firetruck41

First Name
Ben
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2013 Leaf, 2017 Bolt, 2010 Ram 2500 Megacab
Country flag
No way will a normal 5th wheel work, in a normal configuration. I also wish the sail panel were removable, would make it more versatile for different uses. But as mentioned probably not coming that way as OEM.

Crissa

First Name
Crissa
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
No way will a normal 5th wheel work, in a normal configuration. I also wish the sail panel were removable, would make it more versatile for different uses.
You've said that several times. There's nothing 'good' about 'normal'. A square back pickup is just the way things have been done. That makes it traditional, not normal, not better.

-Crissa

Firetruck41

First Name
Ben
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2013 Leaf, 2017 Bolt, 2010 Ram 2500 Megacab
Country flag
You've said that several times. There's nothing 'good' about 'normal'. A square back pickup is just the way things have been done. That makes it traditional, not normal, not better.

-Crissa
Actually only said it once, though "firsttruck" said similar and at a glance the username looks the same, but it's not me.

It's not that I just want a square back pickup, I have done a lot of research on 5th wheels and the clearances are already tight for a traditional 6.5' bed when making sharp turns or when not on a completely level surface. There's just no way a standard 5th wheel will work on a cybertruck. Standard 5th wheels are better for me because I don't have to buy a brand new specialty 5th wheel made for a cyber truck with limited sizes/options/etc, likely at a premium price over "standard" brand new 5th wheels. I much prefer buying a 3-5 year old "standard" 5th wheel at 50% (or more) off of new retail prices.

Just because something is "traditional" doesn't mean it's not better, either.;)

Crissa

First Name
Crissa
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
Just because something is "traditional" doesn't mean it's not better, either.;)
True.

The Cybertruck's roof window is lower in the back edge than the average pickup truck, to start with. So it may be the truck bed is shallower than you think at first glance.

We won't really know until people are able to poke at them with tape measures and stuff, tho.

-Crissa

firsttruck

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
none
Country flag
Many owners of pickup trucks with 5.5ft bed that tow 5th wheel type trailers use a rotating pin box/rotating turret or sidewinder 5th wheel hitch attachment instead of king pin at trailer. It puts the trailer tongue weight in the truck bed over the rear wheels but the swivel axis for the trailer is moved to tailgate area or beyond.

-------------

etrailer.com - Reese Sidewinder 5th Wheel King Pin with Rotating Turret
It is now possible to turn your short-bed truck 90 degrees without having to worry that your trailer will collide with the cab of your truck. The universal king pin locking wedge included with this Sidewinder prevents your trailer from turning or pivoting at the fifth-wheel hitch. Instead, the rotating turret at the end of the Sidewinder allows turning and pivoting to take place an additional 22" away from the cab.
The universal king pin locking wedge included with this Sidewinder prevents your trailer from turning or pivoting at the fifth-wheel hitch. Instead, the rotating turret at the end of the Sidewinder allows turning and pivoting to take place an additional 22" away from the cab.
No need to get out of your truck to adjust a 5th-wheel slider.
https://www.etrailer.com/Fifth-Wheel-King-Pin/Reese/RP34FR.html

Features:

5th-Wheel pin box lets you make tight turns while towing your trailer, even in your short-bed pickup

No need to get out of your truck to adjust a 5th-wheel slider
Rotating turret acts as new pivot point, letting you clear your truck's cab while turning

Pivot point is moved 22" towards the rear, offering plenty of clearance while still keeping your load safely in front of the rear axle

Easy hookup and disconnect - king pin slides into your 5th-wheel trailer hitch from almost any angle

Locking wedge prevents king pin from rotating inside your Reese or Pro Series 5th-wheel hitch
Some other 5th-wheel hitches may require custom wedge (sold separately)
Simple to maintain - just lubricate king pin, screw, and pivoting shaft

Bolt-on installation - replaces your existing 5th-wheel pin box
A 1-1/8" socket and wrench are needed for proper installation

-------------
Sponsored

Last edited: