People often overestimate the range they need... Wildly.

MEDICALJMP

First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Toyota Avalon, Rav4, Tri-motor Cybertruck
Occupation
Nurse
Country flag
That's... Highly improbable.

-Crissa
Just because you don't believe it does not make it so. Try talking to people who live here. Open your mind to things and you may learn.
Sponsored

MEDICALJMP

First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Nurse
Country flag
I bought a commute specific EV in 2011. My wife had a minivan if we needed a big car.

For the rest of the argument, all I can say (again) is: "if an EV doesn't fit your needs, don't get one."
The EV I am buying does fit my needs. Tri-motor CT. Why try to dissuade a person who wants to alter the equation from ICE?

Illogical.

FutureBoy

First Name
Reginald
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Toyota Sienna
Occupation
Financial Advisor
Country flag
As an example for Nebraska, my aunt and uncle live in O'Neill NE. They have a son and his family that live near Alliance NE. The drive between those towns is over 270 miles. ChargeHub tells me that there are 0 public chargers along the way. Trying to get to a public charger would be a considerable trip out of the way. So at a minimum they would want to have an EV that can get about 300 miles per charge. 350 would be safer for those days with strong winds etc. But at that distance, they would also need to stay overnight for the trip to charge. But currently ICE, they would just turn around and drive back that night. It's a long trip but they do make fairly regularly.

One thing about Nebraska though, is that everyone is friendly and willing to help each other. OK, not EVERYBODY but the vast majority. So if one were to run low on electric charge, one could almost certainly get a helpful charge from someone. There would be no need to worry about being stranded forever.

Will there be public chargers on that drive any time soon? Hard to say. But 1.5 years (more like 2 by the time a new order for a CT were to be filled) is a long time. I doubt there will be any Tesla chargers any time soon though.

Oh, and to be transparent, that uncle is a mechanical tinkerer who will probably not be buying any electric vehicle any time soon. And since he is over 70, he very well might not ever buy one.

Also interesting that Google tells me it is a 4.5 hour trip from O'Neill to Alliance. But ABRP gives the single motor CT a trip way south to chargers for an 8 hour trip.

Last edited:
OP
OP
Crissa

Crissa

First Name
Crissa
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2014 Zero S, 2013 Mazda 3
Country flag
Just because you don't believe it does not make it so. Try talking to people who live here. Open your mind to things and you may learn.
Nearly every house has 240v somewhere. Nearly every town has RV hookups somewhere.

I'm sure there are towns 100 miles from the nearest charger, but very few people live more than 100 miles from a city. Less than 1/5th of the us is 'rural' and the vast majority of those live within an hour of a city.

So yes, unlikely. Very.

-Crissa

Google says Alliance has six RV parks and is 79 miles from route I90 which has a Supercharger at Sidney.

Last edited:

MEDICALJMP

First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Nurse
Country flag
Nearly every house has 240v somewhere. Nearly every town has RV hookups somewhere.

I'm sure there are towns 100 miles from the nearest charger, but very few people live more than 100 miles from a city. Less than 1/5th of the us is 'rural' and the vast majority of those live within an hour of a city.

So yes, unlikely. Very.

-Crissa

Google says Alliance has six RV parks and is 79 miles from route I90 which has a Supercharger at Sidney.
We will have to disagree. 1) not every RV park is open in winter. Around here NONE of them are open for winter and most owner don’t live on property in NE. 2) guess what, I ain’t headed to Sydney when I am going north. It’s on the other side of the state. Basically from one side of Germany to the other. Alliance is 485 miles from me. You may think driving 79 miles out of your way to charge is grand, then driving another 79 miles to get back to your planned route. Here we think that is unwise. It is 364 miles from Düsseldorf in the west to Dresden, Germany in the east. 3) you have dismissed the statements of other who corroborate my information. In other words you cherry pick your data. 4) you dismiss the experiences of people who actually live here and use Tesla vehicles. I have not only spoken to them but read their comments in online Tesla forums.

I will take the experience of someone local who has walked the walk.

Reactions: Geo

OP
OP
Crissa

Crissa

First Name
Crissa
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
We will have to disagree.
The power connections exist. If you can't be bothered to look for it, that seems your problem. Having lived in snowbird country... There's always someone responsible for watching over it all winter. It's just a matter of asking.

You don't want to go to Sidney? Well, it's there. If that were the last gas station, you would go there, wouldn't you? I remember when the gas station in my town went out of business - 76 was like, 'yeah... We don't need stations not on a freeway anymore'. Some people had to drive sixty miles to fuel up after that. It was a pain, yeah.

You aren't going to be able to drive 485 miles in an EV truck without stopping. Nor should you, for safety's sake. At last year's tech, that would be over a two-ton battery pack.

But this 'but there's no power!' is BS. Make your opportunities. The only reason things are on Plugshare is because people looked for power, found it, and shared how to get it.

You are ignoring what's right there, and telling me I don't know what it's like to live in BFE. Maybe you don't know what you're talking about.

-Crissa

Last edited:

ldjessee

First Name
Lloyd
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Nissan Leaf, MYLR, Kaw 1700 Vaquero
Occupation
Business Intelligence Manager & Analyst
Country flag
Many farmers, mechanics, and metal shops will have atleast 240 for welding. If I was them, I would think about setting up an after hours charger, so it did not impact my day job, but I could maybe earn a little money after hours.

I mean, gas was sold at pharmacies for a while...

Demand creates supply and sometimes supply creates a demand.

I am not going to say anyone does not know what they know, but I know if I look for reasons for something not to work, I will find it. I also know if I take the approach of 'how can I make this work' I will usually find a way. Now sometimes the solution is so much extra work, it gets vetoed...

I am going to guess in about 5 years, if gas stations want to keep attracting customers to where they make money (convenience store), they will have chargers. Some will do it sooner (some where I live in Indiana have already done so) rather than later.

Cyberman

First Name
Adam
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
F150,F550, Escape
Occupation
Cybercontractor
Country flag
It's called range anxiety, people feel the need to overestimate their needed range. You don't estimate your max needed range for the average driving range every day, you may commute say, 150 miles a day on average, but there are times you're going to want to make a 300 mile trip without a recharge or a bathroom break. I have family that lives about 175 miles from me, I'd like to make that round trip without recharging. With the CT2, I just won't be able to. That's why I'd love the 500 mi. range of the CT3, but don't want to spend the extra 20k. But here in sunny southern California, even around the desert cities, chargers are a dime a dozen. But I tend to always way overestimate the range I need. 'Cause once you buy it, your range is fixed.

Cyberman

First Name
Adam
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
F150,F550, Escape
Occupation
Cybercontractor
Country flag
So you don't stop for a 350 mile trip?

What's the point?

-Crissa
I said I'd like to make that round trip without recharging. Obviously I'm going to stop to visit the family.

OP
OP
Crissa

Crissa

First Name
Crissa
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
I said I'd like to make that round trip without recharging. Obviously I'm going to stop to visit the family.
If you're stopped, you can charge. It doesn't take extra time. In fact, it's kinda wasteful not to charge if you're going to be somewhere.

Plugging in takes less time than Supercharging.

-Crissa

Sirfun

First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Toyota Avalon, Chrysler Pacifica PHEV, Ford E-250
Occupation
Retired Sheet Metal Worker
Country flag
If you're stopped, you can charge. It doesn't take extra time. In fact, it's kinda wasteful not to charge if you're going to be somewhere.

Plugging in takes less time than Supercharging.

-Crissa
Crissa, Crissa, Crissa, the poor guy just wants to take a day trip to see family for a couple hours and go back home. Maybe he doesn't wanna knock on the front door with extension cord in hand and ask if they mind him plugging in for the ride home. :p

OP
OP
Crissa

Crissa

First Name
Crissa
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
Well, that's just silly, to drive seven hours to be somewhere two.

And even so, it's also silly not to charge when your truck is sitting still. It's not doing anything else.

-Crissa

I don't want to stop for gas in the mountains on the way to mom's, either. But you know what? I gotta. And it's not safe to drive for twelve hours straight, either. Saying I want to do that should rightfully be mocked.
Sponsored