Art
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Cybertruck (reserved), 2010 Chevrolet K2500HD PU
Occupation
Civil Engineer
Country flag
If he’s not giving you the range you want now, what makes you really think he’s going to give it to you in 2025 or any other time? They offered the range extender for those that needed additional range past what is offered now. If he does make a truck with the “promised” 500 miles of range people would just complain that it’s only 430 “real world “ highway and 250 While towing. If you need a pickup and not a road queen just buy one and stop complaining.
Perhaps you have not read elsewhere in this forum about the new battery design that is coming this year? They are making them right now here in Reno.
Sponsored

Art O'Connor

First Name
Art
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Civil Engineer
Country flag
Fair enough! We're good.

I look at the reservations, which the tracker overwhelming indicates were for the Dual Motor. The closest model they are delivering is the AWD. Note that I believe there is a difference. But the target range for that was 300 miles. Now everyone is crying that the CB doesn't do 500 miles. So, if people have reservations for the dual, and the AWD that is being delivered has better EPA range (the delta is a whole different discussion) than the target, then why all the crying? I've seen a couple people who have posted some really harsh stuff about not getting 500 miles and how Tesla "failed" at their "promises" and then looked at their previous posts, and low and behold, they claim to have reserved a dual?!?!? The dual NEVER had a 500 mile target!

And when it comes to range, I ain't driving 5 hours, much less 6,7,8, or 10 without stopping. I don't know too many people that WANT to. And yes, I understand towing penalties. But still, towing a trailer with a 250 mile range is +/- 5 hours. I need some nourishment somewhere in there. And the days of carrying a cooler full of cold lunchmeat and chips went bye-bye when I moved out of my parent's place and on my own! (and that was quite some time ago). Get me a hot burger and fries and a cold beverage! So, all this chest pounding about range makes little sense to me, I do understand that there are a few cases where there isn't a SC along a route someone might drive. And for that, there are multiple solutions. 1. Don't buy a CT until it gets the range you need. 2. Don't buy a CT until someone puts in a SC along your route. 3. Get a range extender. 4. Wait for the next battery upgrade with or without a RE. 5. Go buy something else that works for you and your particular situation. 6. Give up, you were never meant to have a BEV.

I'm not buying the truck part, I'm buying the cyber part. I'm not towing anything anywhere. I'm not hauling dirt bikes. I don't have a lawn business. I do deliver custom furniture a couple times a year, but never far. I've always just rented a truck for those few occasions. Having my own will eliminate that, but not really a big deal either way.

Nope, the CT ain't the be all end all of everything. It has to be a compromise in quite a few areas. The only issue is if they compromised something that you HAVE to have.
I am not in your category. I did not order the dual motor. I don't even have an idea of the promised range of that category. I ordered the longest range and best towing I could. My order indicates quad motor long range. It is hanging on the wall next to the Hot Wheels RC and the paper construct. Tesla has said it will be at least a year before they get around to that category and I will wait. Yes, it would be real cool to be whipping around town in a stainless steel wedge right now, but I don't have the money for two CT's. So, I will wait my turn.

Diveflyfish

First Name
James
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2011 BMW 335d
Country flag
The longer you're disconnected from the ICEV experience, the less you're influenced by it. Since October 2018, when I bought a Tesla, everything that used to be important to me regarding personal transportation has been wiped out, and I'm very happy about that.
How long did the paradigm shift take for you ?

firsttruck

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
none
Country flag
Remember, Chevy has been making EV's longer than Tesla. Not as good looking but more functional.
Yes, GM has talked alot about EVs for a long time but their actions show they have never been serious.

1997–1998 Chevy S-10 - Sales 492
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Chevrolet_S-10_EV

1998-2000 EV1 - GM refused most sales and only leased.
Model years 1997 (Gen I): 660 units 1999 (Gen II): 457 units
GM recalled almost all & crushed them despite intense lessee lobbying to save the EV1.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/General_Motors_EV1

Early 2000 - GM sold battery patents to fossil fuel company that GM had to know the fossil fuel company intended to bury the tech (fossil fuel company actually sued Toyota to stop them from producing EVs in early 2000s).

In 2017 they promised to have over 15 models of EVs by 2023. They finally released a few (3-5?) models and even by Jan 2024 none have shipped in volume.

2024 - Cancelling the only relatively high volume and affordable EV they ever made, Bolt/Bolt EUV, without an immediate replacement and only more PROMISES of a updated model in the future).

2022 - 2024 Hummer EV -
As of July 2023, 16,088 units have been produced.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/GMC_Hummer_EV

2023 - 2024 Cadillac Lyriq
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cadillac_Lyriq

For years they claimed they would be THE EV leader by end 2025, beating Tesla, but current 3rd party estimates are that GM EVs will be shipping at less than 20% of Tesla's volume in 2025.
In 2021 I was rolling on the floor laughing at GM CEO, Mary Barra's claim they would beat Tesla in 2025.

-------------------------------------

GM can 'absolutely' catch Tesla by 2025: CEO Mary Barra
Oct 27, 2021
CNBC Television

-------

General Motors temporarily stops sales of Chevy Blazer EV over software issues
WOAY TV
Dec 27, 2023

-----

Last edited:

CyberTruckeeTheOne

First Name
Andrew
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
4runner
Occupation
Retired Operating Plans & Forecasting Manager
Country flag
My use case is towing and RV. Or if Lance comes up with a slide in camper. I camp all seasons.

Hence, the reported range in winter, without a trailer or full load, is already a concern.

And I have very low benchmark since I only travel 150 to 200 miles max between campsites.

Celiboy

First Name
Marcel
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2018 Model 3, 2022 Model Y, 2024 AWD Cybertruck
Occupation
Family Nurse Practitioner, Psychiatric Mental Health Nurse Practitioner
Country flag
Perhaps you have not read elsewhere in this forum about the new battery design that is coming this year? They are making them right now here in Reno.
I have read it and I hope there is an improvement in range but let’s be honest, Tesla will not be increasing the size of the battery pack anytime soon if ever so improvement in battery technology and efficiency is a good thing. Thinking it’s somehow going to increase the range significantly
Yes I have read about the new battery design and I really hope it improves range. I doubt Tesla is going to increase the size of the battery pack so the only improvements in range will come from increased battery density and efficiency. Time will only tell how significant the improvements will effect range but I sincerely hope it’s in a positive way and they use that technology in the range extender and future trucks so all the folks waiting like yourself can confidently pull the trigger.

Cybergirl

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla Model Y LR, Model Y SR, Cybertruck AWD FS
Country flag
How long did the paradigm shift take for you ?
I still drove an ICEV for two years, although much less frequently. Once it was sold, I quickly lost the feel for driving an ICE. Everything felt noisy, clunky, and slow.

Woodrick

First Name
Ed
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Model 3, Model Y, SOON to be Cybertruck
Occupation
Consultant
Country flag
So, my "situation" is I need a pickup, not some good looking road queen. I need it to be able to tow trailers and carry a heavy load. Think contractor. Four years ago, Elon said 14,000 lbs. towing and 500 miles of range. Now, we finally have the real product, a ton and a half less towing and 240 miles less range. That is not insignificant and does not work for my situation. However, I want the quad motor and Tesla will not make those until at least 2025. My delivery date is February 16th, 2025: but we know how good Tesla is at keeping promises. So, not holding my breath. Maybe, over a year from now, CT will have the range, payload and towing. If not, RST here I come (it should be there by then). Remember, Chevy has been making EV's longer than Tesla. Not as good looking but more functional.
Why in the heck would a "real truck" need 4 motors? It seems that over 50% of them only have 1 today.

I have no problem believing that the Cybertruck will haul my boat 500 miles from Atlanta to Tampa. That's going to be easy for it.

I'm sorry, but the Volt was a hybrid, not an electric. The Chevy Bolt was in 2017 well after the Model S and Model X.
And if you believe that the Bolt it more functional than a Tesla, you don't know what the Tesla can do.

And to top it off, they really don't have any EVs to sell, except for some leftover Bolts.

Crissa

First Name
Crissa
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2014 Zero S, 2013 Mazda 3
Country flag
So, my "situation" is I need a pickup, not some good looking road queen. I need it to be able to tow trailers and carry a heavy load. Think contractor. Four years ago, Elon said 14,000 lbs. towing and 500 miles of range.
Sounds like you need a Semi, not a pickup.

I wouldn't hire a contractor coming from a hundred miles away. They're road queens, not someone dependable.

-Crissa

Crissa

First Name
Crissa
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2014 Zero S, 2013 Mazda 3
Country flag
In 2017 they promised to have over 15 models of EVs by 2023. They finally released a few (3-5?) models and even by Jan 2024 none have shipped in volume.

2024 - Cancelling the only relatively high volume and affordable EV they ever made, Bolt/Bolt EUV, without an immediate replacement and only more PROMISES of a updated model in the future).
...The Bolt paragraph kinda contradicts your prior paragraph.

Yes, twenty years ago they effed up. Yes, five years ago they over-promised and under-delivered. Batteries are hard. Tesla says that.

-Crissa

PilotPete

First Name
Pete
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Porsche, BMW, M3LR on order
Occupation
Chief Pilot
Country flag
I am not in your category. I did not order the dual motor. I don't even have an idea of the promised range of that category. I ordered the longest range and best towing I could. My order indicates quad motor long range. It is hanging on the wall next to the Hot Wheels RC and the paper construct. Tesla has said it will be at least a year before they get around to that category and I will wait. Yes, it would be real cool to be whipping around town in a stainless steel wedge right now, but I don't have the money for two CT's. So, I will wait my turn.
Just say what the “kids today” say…

YOLO

firsttruck

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
none
Country flag

...The Bolt paragraph kinda contradicts your prior paragraph.

Yes, twenty years ago they effed up. Yes, five years ago they over-promised and under-delivered. Batteries are hard. Tesla says that.

-Crissa
2012 - GM started development of Bolt.
2015 - GM showed Bolt concept
January 2016 - The production version of the Chevrolet Bolt was unveiled at the 2016 Consumer Electronics Show ( CES ) in Las Vegas.
mid-October 2016 - Ordering began in California and Oregon.
November 2016 - Production began.
A total of 579 units of Chevrolet Bolt were delivered in 2016.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Chevrolet_Bolt

Chevrolet Bolt was in production and being delivered almost a year before the promise Mary Barra made in Nov 2017.

Where is the contradiction?

The way GM is currently pulling back investments in EVs I don't expect them to have 20 zero-emissions vehicles even by end of 2027.

Neither Chevrolet Bolt nor Chevrolet Bolt EUV got EPA range of 300 miles.
Chevrolet Bolt - EPA range of 259 miles ( 417 km)
Chevrolet Bolt EUV - EPA range of 247 miles ( 398 km)

In 2023, Mary Barra finally admitted GM would not have profitable, affordable EVs before 2029/2030 and maybe not even then.

General Motors to ramp up electric vehicle plans, 20 new models planned over next 6 years.
Published Oct 2 2017
By Phil LeBeau
https://www.cnbc.com/2017/10/02/gm-...e-plans-with-20-models-over-next-6-years.html

Published: Nov 16, 2017
GM CEO Barra: Profitable, Affordable 300-Mile Electric Vehicles by 2021
GM is planning to launch 20 zero-emissions vehicles by 2023.
By Bengt Halvorson
https://www.caranddriver.com/news/a...ffordable-300-mile-electric-vehicles-by-2021/

GM CEO says Tesla has the lead in electric cars, doesn’t see profitable $30-40K EVs until end of decade or maybe even later.
By Fred Lambert | Jun 5 2023
https://electrek.co/2023/06/05/gm-ceo-tesla-lead-electric-cars-no-profitable-30-40k-evs/

Last edited:

Art O'Connor

First Name
Art
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Civil Engineer
Country flag
GM's EV aspirations got torpedoed by the strike. GM burned up all the cash it was going to use to build a new EV plant. So, now Mary is saying there is little demand for EV's; but the WT4 is back ordered by at least 6 months. My local dealer has had 20 WT4's on order since May. His latest update is he will see them next month. They are all sold. He has built the GM required Tesla charging stations, but they are unused and not listed on the internet.

Art O'Connor

First Name
Art
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Civil Engineer
Country flag
Yes, GM has talked alot about EVs for a long time but their actions show they have never been serious.

1997–1998 Chevy S-10 - Sales 492
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Chevrolet_S-10_EV

1998-2000 EV1 - GM refused most sales and only leased.
Model years 1997 (Gen I): 660 units 1999 (Gen II): 457 units
GM recalled almost all & crushed them despite intense lessee lobbying to save the EV1.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/General_Motors_EV1

Early 2000 - GM sold battery patents to fossil fuel company that GM had to know the fossil fuel company intended to bury the tech (fossil fuel company actually sued Toyota to stop them from producing EVs in early 2000s).

2022 - 2024 Hummer EV -
As of July 2023, 16,088 units have been produced.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/GMC_Hummer_EV

2023 - 2024 Cadillac Lyriq
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cadillac_Lyriq

For years they claimed they would be THE EV leader by end 2025, beating Tesla, but current 3rd party estimates are that GM EVs will be shipping at less than 20% of Tesla's volume in 2025.
In 2021 I was rolling on the floor laughing at GM CEO, Mary Barra's claim they would beat Tesla in 2025.

GM can 'absolutely' catch Tesla by 2025: CEO Mary Barra
Oct 27, 2021
CNBC Television

-------

General Motors temporarily stops sales of Chevy Blazer EV over software issues
WOAY TV
Dec 27, 2023

-----

Why does everybody in the EV business have a problem with the truth? Tesla has a problem with real range estimates, GM lies about demand. The pickup segment is ideally suited for EV's. On the job site, having an EV PU to charge portable tool batteries instead of having to lug a generator around is a real bonus. But the EV PU has to have a big enough battery, which the CT currently does not have. I sure hope, when my turn comes in 2025, Tesla has solved the battery problem. GM apparently has with the WT4, why not Tesla?

Art O'Connor

First Name
Art
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Civil Engineer
Country flag
Sounds like you need a Semi, not a pickup.

I wouldn't hire a contractor coming from a hundred miles away. They're road queens, not someone dependable.

-Crissa
What I needed was a one ton, not the 3/4 I bought, which strains, but gets the job done, eventually. Will the CT be able to pull an overload with a reduction in performance, like my Silverado or will it shut down? As I have demonstrated, you can overload ICE's and they still function. Will EV's (CT and RST) do like wise?
Sponsored