People often overestimate the range they need... Wildly.

ldjessee

First Name
Lloyd
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Nissan Leaf, MYLR, Kaw 1700 Vaquero
Occupation
Business Intelligence Manager & Analyst
Country flag
I fall back to a quote I like repeat when people want things that are not currently possible...

"You know, I wish that there was some way That I could be outside playing basketball in the rain And not get wet. Now wouldn't that be great, hmm?" Beastie Boys, Hello Nasty, And Me
Sponsored

firsttruck

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
none
Country flag
And no matter how beefy the truck is, the road is only going to support so much weight. The tires can only have so much adhesion. And for moving or stopping it, well, that weight works against you.
The Cybertruck already has a payload rating & towing capacity.

Using some of that payload rating for more batteries for longer range is less stressful than having that same weight load in the bed. Pounds is pounds. The total weight is the same.

The road, tires, brakes are bearing the same weight.

But it does come with the downside that you are carrying around a battery pack. And it isn't light.
If owners/buyers have extra batteries as an option each owner can decide for themselves how they want to balance battery size vs range vs total payload vs handling, etc

Lastly, they can only make so many batteries, too. Tesla is capacity constrained. That's why they're still 'expensive'!
We would not be getting the batteries for free.
Paying for the batteries just like 100KWH model S, X, Roadster models.

I am not saying this but by your logic why Tesla makes 100KWH model S, X, Roadster toys. Tesla could make 2x Model 3s. Maybe batteries should not be wasted on these toys so more batteries are available to replace more high emission, high mileage, low mph trucks.

firsttruck

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
none
Country flag
I fall back to a quote I like repeat when people want things that are not currently possible...
Seems odd talking like that about Elon & Tesla.

Elon & Tesla pride themselves on doing what others said was not possible (land vertically on Earth tall rockets, extensively reusable rockets, EV better than ICE at reasonable price, Starlink).

Seems like almost everything about the Cybertruck is told to us by the traditional auto industry as impossible.

ldjessee

First Name
Lloyd
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Nissan Leaf, MYLR, Kaw 1700 Vaquero
Occupation
Business Intelligence Manager & Analyst
Country flag
Seems odd talking like that about Elon & Tesla.

Elon & Tesla pride themselves on doing what others said was not possible (land vertically on Earth tall rockets, extensively reusable rockets, EV better than ICE at reasonable price, Starlink).

Seems like almost everything about the Cybertruck is told to us by the traditional auto industry as impossible.
I was not referring to Elon or Tesla, I was referring to people expecting things that are not realistic.

There is one thing for people pushing what is possible and then mass manufacturing it, but then even as Tesla is pushing the edge forward of what is possible and affordable for EV vehicles, but then people on here saying that is not good enough and wanting batteries to charge faster than is possible in the next few years.

But, maybe I am wrong. Just show me how and why a Cybertruck should be able to charge the battery pack in 15 minutes and how that could be accomplished by Tesla and not increase the price of the CyberTruck.

Sirfun

First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Toyota Avalon, Chrysler Pacifica PHEV, Ford E-250
Occupation
Retired Sheet Metal Worker
Country flag
I was not referring to Elon or Tesla, I was referring to people expecting things that are not realistic.

There is one thing for people pushing what is possible and then mass manufacturing it, but then even as Tesla is pushing the edge forward of what is possible and affordable for EV vehicles, but then people on here saying that is not good enough and wanting batteries to charge faster than is possible in the next few years.

But, maybe I am wrong. Just show me how and why a Cybertruck should be able to charge the battery pack in 15 minutes and how that could be accomplished by Tesla and not increase the price of the CyberTruck.
It's not that far out of the realm of possibility, a Porshe Taycan is capable of charging at 350kw. 350kw for 15 minutes would be about 87kwh. This doesn't take into account ramping up and slowing to a trickle at top off. But it's promising.

AJ or someone with more knowledge than me, please correct me if I'm wrong.

OP
OP
Crissa

Crissa

First Name
Crissa
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2014 Zero S, 2013 Mazda 3
Country flag
It's not that far out of the realm of possibility, a Porshe Taycan is capable of charging at 350kw. 350kw for 15 minutes would be about 87kwh.
And that is estimated to be under 4C charging using a 800v system that costs more than two Cybertrucks. You can't just charge any battery at that rate; it has to be able to absorb the power being put into it.

That power also has to be available. Not everywhere on the map is going to be close enough to a substation to pull that sort of power, either.

I understand the desire for range. And I hope it's possible. But the charging infrastructure of today won't be the charging infrastructure of tomorrow. And the idea that you'd leave your Cybertruck unplugged anywhere is kinda silly. A waste of battery to leave it tending its cooling and heating system without taking advantage of those lines that are overhead to nearly every corner of this country.

-Crissa
Sponsored