Barry
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Honda ridgeline
Occupation
Electrician/inventor/retired
Country flag
I ordered FSD for my tri-motor $7000 option ,then I saw an article on YouTube about subscriptions that one has to pay for. My question , do I have to pay a subscription fee for the right to use self driving if I bought the option at the onset.
Sponsored

Last edited:

FutureBoy

First Name
Reginald
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Toyota Sienna
Occupation
Financial Advisor
Country flag
I ordered FSD for my tri-motor $7000 option ,then I saw an article on YouTube about subscriptions that one has to pay for. My question , do I have to pay a subscription fee for the right to use self driving if I bought the option at the onset.
One can not know with certainty till we get the final details. But based on what Elon has said, the wording on the Tesla site and email when selecting FSD, and what many others have commented on both here and elsewhere, the simple current answer is NO.

The subscription price is an option for those who did not buy FSD outright when it was relatively affordable like you did. Elon says FSD will continue to increase in price to $100k. At that point, normal people wanting to buy a personal use vehicle won’t generally be able to afford it. So Elon is saying that the subscription option would be available to them.

Jhodgesatmb

First Name
Jack
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.arbor-studios.com
Vehicles
Tesla Model Y LR, Tesla Model 3 LR
Occupation
Retired AI researcher
Country flag
No. Subscriptions are for people that don’t want to buy FSD outright.

Crissa

First Name
Crissa
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2014 Zero S, 2013 Mazda 3
Country flag
Subscription model is where most big iron software has gone lately.

But generally, that's not until they have a large, installed, dependent base. So 5-10 years from now.

Grandfathering in the early-adopters with sweet 'permanent' licenses to the software is very common, too, which is what we're doing.

-Crissa

EVCanuck

First Name
M
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
ЗАЗ-968, Canyonero
Country flag
I wouldn't be surprised if Tesla scraps in the future the one-time FSD purchase altogether and offers subscription only FSD. For most customers this makes more sense since the majority don't keep their cars forever.
Although I don't think our FSD reservations are in any danger.

Last edited:

Jhodgesatmb

First Name
Jack
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.arbor-studios.com
Vehicles
Tesla Model Y LR, Tesla Model 3 LR
Occupation
Retired AI researcher
Country flag
Subscription model is where most big iron software has gone lately.

But generally, that's not until they have a large, installed, dependent base. So 5-10 years from now.

Grandfathering in the early-adopters with sweet 'permanent' licenses to the software is very common, too, which is what we're doing.

-Crissa
We (wife and I) are hoping for transferable FSD licenses. Otherwise it will just cost too much for us to get another Tesla with FSD. I am sure that the move away from car ownership to the Robotaxi model will take a long time, especially outside of cities, and especially in America where owning a car is a rite of passage.
Sponsored