I am not a truck guy, but i want the Cybertruck....should I get it?

Hootie

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'17 Civic; '23 Model Y LR; '23 Ford Lightning
Country flag
I have been watching the CT since its debut and admit I hated the look. But within 48 hours i grew to love it and put in my reservation for a dual motor. But should I actually get this?

Convince me yay or nay.

A little bit about me:
I have always appreciated cars and love cars but i am conservative with my money. So i always have reasonably price cars with good gas mileage. I typically have had small cars, sport sedans and a roadster because I like how they handle and zip around. I have only bought manuals and it is harder to buy a traditional manual now. If I can't buy a manual, then my only other option (in my opinion) is a Tesla for the joy of driving. I am in a better place now and vowed to get myself something out of my comfort level next time.
I work an office job and now with COVID and post COVID, i am a permanent WFH person. So my commute is gone and I rarely drive now, so gas mileage isn't a necessity anymore.

I have always like trucks but couldn't stand the ride quality and the gas efficiencies. Then comes the CT and we know it is efficient. I don't know about the ride and handling until i drive it. I consider myself an amateur handyman for things around my house and my trips to Lowes sucks in my little car. I would like to do more projects and a truck would be handy but a Full size truck maybe overkill. A Tacoma or a Jeep Gladiator would suffice my needs in reality and they both come in manuals.

So do I go all out and get the CT when my turn is up just because I want it? I just love the technology. Sure i can get a model Y but I believe they are basically the same price for the Mid Level trims, so why not just get the CT?

Or do I get a used beater Tacoma or Gladiator for my truck needs and when the $25k Tesla comes out get that for my daily driver and keep up with the small zippy trend? If i find an older Tacoma, the purchase price could net out the same for two cars than one CT.

This is where my head is. Even though it is probably a year out till my turn for a CT is a reality, I am just thinking ahead.
I know asking this question on a CT forum will draw bias opinions but still asking :)

So Yay or Nay?

Thanks in advance
Sponsored

Crissa

First Name
Crissa
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2014 Zero S, 2013 Mazda 3
Country flag
I'm not a truck guy. But I'm getting one.

...But only because I want to haul things. I already have a Zero and I really want an Aptera for trips that are longer. The truck will be for hauling things and battery backup ^-^

-Crissa

Last edited:

MEDICALJMP

First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Toyota Avalon, Rav4, Tri-motor Cybertruck
Occupation
Nurse
Country flag
Not a truck guy...

until I saw Cybertruck.

“Rides like it is on rails.”
0 to sixty in what?!
Hauling 3500 pounds in the back.
14,000 pounds towing. Makes me want to tow SOMETHING. ANYTHING.
will make all my Jeep friends feel weak and anemic.
No gas. No CO2. No maintenance. I can go out for drives, “Just because,” once again guilt free.

Cyberman

First Name
Adam
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
F150,F550, Escape
Occupation
Cybercontractor
Country flag
I have been watching the CT since its debut and admit I hated the look. But within 48 hours i grew to love it and put in my reservation for a dual motor. But should I actually get this?

Convince me yay or nay.

A little bit about me:
I have always appreciated cars and love cars but i am conservative with my money. So i always have reasonably price cars with good gas mileage. I typically have had small cars, sport sedans and a roadster because I like how they handle and zip around. I have only bought manuals and it is harder to buy a traditional manual now. If I can't buy a manual, then my only other option (in my opinion) is a Tesla for the joy of driving. I am in a better place now and vowed to get myself something out of my comfort level next time.
I work an office job and now with COVID and post COVID, i am a permanent WFH person. So my commute is gone and I rarely drive now, so gas mileage isn't a necessity anymore.

I have always like trucks but couldn't stand the ride quality and the gas efficiencies. Then comes the CT and we know it is efficient. I don't know about the ride and handling until i drive it. I consider myself an amateur handyman for things around my house and my trips to Lowes sucks in my little car. I would like to do more projects and a truck would be handy but a Full size truck maybe overkill. A Tacoma or a Jeep Gladiator would suffice my needs in reality and they both come in manuals.

So do I go all out and get the CT when my turn is up just because I want it? I just love the technology. Sure i can get a model Y but I believe they are basically the same price for the Mid Level trims, so why not just get the CT?

Or do I get a used beater Tacoma or Gladiator for my truck needs and when the $25k Tesla comes out get that for my daily driver and keep up with the small zippy trend? If i find an older Tacoma, the purchase price could net out the same for two cars than one CT.

This is where my head is. Even though it is probably a year out till my turn for a CT is a reality, I am just thinking ahead.
I know asking this question on a CT forum will draw bias opinions but still asking :)

So Yay or Nay?

Thanks in advance
Buy it & try it. Even if you don't want to keep it, you can re-sell it for some extra ducats. But I seriously doubt you'll be able to part with such a magnificent beast

Last edited:

Pilot4hire

First Name
Woor
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Model S, Model 3, Roadster and Cybertruck
Occupation
Pilot
Country flag

Convince me yay or nay.

A little bit about me:

So Yay or Nay?

Thanks in advance
Go for it. You will be pleased that you did. I have learned the hard way. Lost my lovely wife of 30 short years in an accident. Life is too short, if you have a goal. Accomplish it. Don’t wait to do tomorrow what you can do today. You deserve it. It’s the future of Techonoledge and safety in today’s world.

Best of luck

Jhodgesatmb

First Name
Jack
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.arbor-studios.com
Vehicles
Tesla Model Y LR, Tesla Model 3 LR
Occupation
Retired AI researcher
Country flag
In the era of Coronavirus few people need any kind of car for commuting so you have to throw that part of the consideration out. No one knows how long this will last, but given the attitudes of people I suspect we will be in partial lockdown for the foreseeable future. For that having a vehicle with bio defense mode might be a valid consideration. Regardless of the pandemic we all still use our vehicles; to buy food, to run errands, to haul materials for home repair, to get exercise, etc. Whether or not you are a truck guy, the CT will have ample space in the cab and ample lockable storage space to do these things. There are some intangibles in the decision. One is that driving any vehicle occasionally requires one to accelerate quickly, and the CT will reward you with necessary acceleration. Many people, me included, have to deal with rusting cars, chipped paint from bad players, or dents from normal wear and tear that the CT will be hardened against. These are just a few things to consider, but the list goes on and on and I cannot enumerate all of it in a finite space and remain respectful to everyone else here. Of course, nothing I have said even touches on the benefits to society of having/driving an electric vehicle. In the end, if you want it and can afford it you will probably be happy you bought it. If you really need to be convinced, about anything, maybe it isn’t right for you.

Diehard

First Name
D
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Olds Aurora V8, Saturn Sky redline, Lightning, CT2
Country flag
I am somewhat in the same boat as you. I say wait. You will have more info and better perspective in Q3 or Q4 of 2021. If there is no Civil war and no COVID, a purchase will makes more sense. At that point you may have seen reviews. I never considered a Truck before but wife is more practical than I am and pushed me to get one. Now I am hooked. I have a stick shift sport car in the driveway that rarely get used and we have a newer travel car that get used the most. All 3 of them can be replaced with CT. Here are some considerations:

• Any new car will drop in value sitting in the driveway, you may as well wait until COVID is over (Or in better shape). Especially considering your spot in line.
  • A truck gets you a lot of new friends (people that barely know you but need to move something)
  • There are not any EV trucks out there right now. You can at least wait until Rivian comes out. Watch the reviews and see what it can or cannot do. Elan wouldn’t want to be outdone so you know you will be getting similar or better performance.
  • I have never purchased a new vehicle but used truck prices are ridiculous. If you are considering ICE and don’t care about new tech, look into 2020 Nissan Frontier SV or Pro4X. Almost as reliable as Toyota but cost less. Size is manageable for parking and off road. V6 can tow and go anywhere. Cheap to maintain and you can do a lot work yourself. It will last 20 years. Many owners have 300K+ miles on their truck. 2019 and older has stick but does not have the same power train as 2020 (better performance and mpg). Once 2021 redesign come out, you should be able to get a super deal on 2020 (almost half CT).
  • If your significant other now or in future can not or is not willing to drive stickshift, that could impact long trips or emergencies. Another reason CT may be more future proof.
  • If you cancel your reservation, I will be one more spot closer to mine ;)
  • CT has more FahrvergnĂĽgen

in short if you don’t care about towing something heavy long distance and think most of your savings are likely to be sucked out of your account quickly by a nursing home or an Ex wife, go with CT but if you have better alternative uses for the money, want something now and don’t have environmental concerns get the Frontier or may be a ridgeline.

Last edited:

Deleted member 3884

I’m not a truck guy either. I like trucks but they are gas guzzlers. I say go for it!
it’s a truck that is cheaper to operate than a gas car. I live in an area where there are a lot of pickups and I like that the Cybertruck will stand out in the crowd.

Jhodgesatmb

First Name
Jack
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.arbor-studios.com
Vehicles
Tesla Model Y LR, Tesla Model 3 LR
Occupation
Retired AI researcher
Country flag
About six more months. There may be pandemics in the future, but those tired of this one will be motivated to receive a vaccine for it.

-Crissa
I wouldn’t put money on that @Crissa but we can hope as that is free.

ajdelange

First Name
A. J.
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla X LR+, Lexus SUV, Toyota SR5, Toyota Landcruiser
Occupation
EE (Retired)
Country flag
You want sound reasons for getting a Cybertruck? Unless you operate a business that requires a fleet of trucks, have done the math and determined that the CT choice will increase your long term profitability consistent with your cash flow situation there aren't any.

IOW, this decision is a quality of life decision - not a financial decision.

My advice would be to try to get some time behind the wheel of a BEV. Most people who do that are sold very quickly on them. If you do not experience the thrill and if you do not see the advantages (charging at home, less repair/maintenance, environmental factors, ....) don't get a CT. Otherwise do and enjoy the hell out of it!

Faffle

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Kia Soul ev
Country flag
You want sound reasons for getting a Cybertruck? Unless you operate a business that requires a fleet of trucks, have done the math and determined that the CT choice will increase your long term profitability consistent with your cash flow situation there aren't any.

IOW, this decision is a quality of life decision - not a financial decision.

My advice would be to try to get some time behind the wheel of a BEV. Most people who do that are sold very quickly on them. If you do not experience the thrill and if you do not see the advantages (charging at home, less repair/maintenance, environmental factors, ....) don't get a CT. Otherwise do and enjoy the hell out of it!
There is only one reason i've been able to come up with for not getting one..... Size. Will i be able to go the places i want to go. Mostly yes, but i worry about not being able to park it on a downtown street or parking garage. That is a once a month trip for me so maybe i can work around it.

Crissa

First Name
Crissa
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2014 Zero S, 2013 Mazda 3
Country flag
There is only one reason i've been able to come up with for not getting one..... Size. Will i be able to go the places i want to go. Mostly yes, but i worry about not being able to park it on a downtown street or parking garage. That is a once a month trip for me so maybe i can work around it.
Well, as your only vehicle, that is a concern. Mostly it just means walking a little further. Which isn't so bad, is it?

-Crissa

TirNaOg

First Name
Deasun
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Expedition
Country flag
Only thing that might hold ya off is Size.
IF your not used to something this big.
But it wont take ya long to get used to it. Just take it easy at first.
I love trucks. Had iszu pup, ( really small pickup ), Dodge Ram 1500 and currently Ford Expedition LE.
Not many but I do keep them a long time.
Wife has Mini's, yes said mini's. :)
Ya get used to size with a bit of time.
Sponsored