Chiptosser
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Suba
Occupation
Retired
Country flag
Some of my concerns on the interior of the bed.

A bare metal surface is good, if you are sliding heavy items into the bed of a truck.
Not so good at noise reduction while driving or preventing items from sliding.
The T-slots pose a problem with using a one piece liner, Filler strips can be used in the slots to fill the gaps to allow spraying a surface treatment.
I am sure most people are familiar with the epoxy , rough surface treatments used in truck beds. This type of surface is hard on the skin and knees
I would like to see a smooth spray on urathane rubber coating option availible. You could have color options availiable with urathane too.

A hardness range of about 100 durameter would be very durable, good traction when wet, You would have very good traction with your wet shoes and your quad tires from slipping.
If you where going to us your CT for camping and wanted to lay in the bed, the surface would be smooth.

Just some of my thoughts.
Sponsored

Sputter

First Name
Herbert
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2019 Model 3
Occupation
Retired
Country flag
Some of my concerns on the interior of the bed.

A bare metal surface is good, if you are sliding heavy items into the bed of a truck.
Not so good at noise reduction while driving or preventing items from sliding.
The T-slots pose a problem with using a one piece liner, Filler strips can be used in the slots to fill the gaps to allow spraying a surface treatment.
I am sure most people are familiar with the epoxy , rough surface treatments used in truck beds. This type of surface is hard on the skin and knees
I would like to see a smooth spray on urathane rubber coating option availible. You could have color options availiable with urathane too.

A hardness range of about 100 durameter would be very durable, good traction when wet, You would have very good traction with your wet shoes and your quad tires from slipping.
If you where going to us your CT for camping and wanted to lay in the bed, the surface would be smooth.

Just some of my thoughts.
Yep. Some good ideas there. I've never really understood if the lines in the bed of the vault are actual grooves or just lines as decoration. As a retired contractor who has carried sand and gravel in the back on my old pickup, it would be impossible to get all the gravel out of the grooves. Not only that, but they get in the crack where the tailgate meets the bed. My point is: grooves aren't needed. They would be impossible to clean. (Even the grooves on the interior sides of the vault are questionable.) A couple of recessed tie-downs, yes, or maybe one long groove at the top with those little adjustable clips, yes. But get rid of all the grooves.

MUSK007

Banned
Banned
First Name
Randy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2017 Model S - P100D
Occupation
Retired
Country flag
I agree 100%. Grooves are not needed and actually hurt the performance of the bed. It’s looks futuristic but in everyday use it will be A pain. For those of us who actually use the truck and carry materials in the bed/vault we need a sold surface with built in tie downs.

cyberhunter

First Name
Heath
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2017 Ram 2500, Cybertruck preorder
Country flag
I think they are grooves to house rubber or plastic ridges. I've looked at the pics quite a bit and sometimes it looks like a shadow from a groove, but most times it looks like an actual protrusion or bump, which would indicate there is an insert there. It makes sense they would be an insert of some sort so that the inside isn't slippery when wet. I would hope a tough plastic ridge is what is placed in there. This would give a traction surface likely be tough enough to withstand things like scraping against cargo, shovels, etc. I have a feeling that most people will get the bed lined with line-x if they are planning on throwing things in the bed like a work truck. There are tons of spray lining options and you can tint them if you want them to blend in or complement the stainless. I've never had a truck without a spray in bed liner. It just makes too much sense with traditional painted steel beds to protect them. When I see a new truck without a bed liner it just looks naked and exposed to me.

TyPope

First Name
Ty
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'18 F150, '23 MY, '24 CT, '23 Maveric hybrid soon
Occupation
Operations Planner
Country flag
I think they are grooves to house rubber or plastic ridges. I've looked at the pics quite a bit and sometimes it looks like a shadow from a groove, but most times it looks like an actual protrusion or bump, which would indicate there is an insert there. It makes sense they would be an insert of some sort so that the inside isn't slippery when wet. I would hope a tough plastic ridge is what is placed in there. This would give a traction surface likely be tough enough to withstand things like scraping against cargo, shovels, etc. I have a feeling that most people will get the bed lined with line-x if they are planning on throwing things in the bed like a work truck. There are tons of spray lining options and you can tint them if you want them to blend in or complement the stainless. I've never had a truck without a spray in bed liner. It just makes too much sense with traditional painted steel beds to protect them. When I see a new truck without a bed liner it just looks naked and exposed to me.
... mmm... naked and exposed...

OP
OP
Chiptosser

Chiptosser

First Name
Chiptosser
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Suba
Occupation
Retired
Country flag
The thought behind this type of a lining is, this would be more of a premium coating. Yes, you could one of the common bed linings installed. This a different type of material. This is a very durable synthetic rubber (urathane) availible in different densitys. A premium material for different peoples needs. Slots or no slots, raised rails, or no rails. I would like to see a number of good quality ty downs.

Dids

First Name
Les
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
04 Tacoma, 23 Cybertruck
Occupation
Self
Country flag
I'm hoping for something like delrin nylon strips that can go over the slots. Would make sliding cargo in and out easy (and tying it down mandatory).
Tying down is mandatory! Especially in a truck that has acceleration and cornering like a sports car.... but even so, failure to tie down results in death in accidents. I really like your delrin idea of glides vs bumpers...

SentinelOne

First Name
Jason
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
See Sig
Occupation
IT
Country flag
if the bed grooves are t-track then can't they have inserts to prevent gravel, etc from getting in the cracks?, made to be non slip or slip material depending upon preference? and allow for unlimited tie down points for cargo?

I've always had a lineX bed liner in my trucks and I'm a fan, but more because the bed's were painted, thin, otherwise useless....I actually don't want a bed liner in the CT if there's useful t-track setup...

FutureBoy

First Name
Reginald
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Toyota Sienna
Occupation
Financial Advisor
Country flag
As a retired contractor who has carried sand and gravel in the back on my old pickup, it would be impossible to get all the gravel out of the grooves. Not only that, but they get in the crack where the tailgate meets the bed. My point is: grooves aren't needed. They would be impossible to clean. (Even the grooves on the interior sides of the vault are questionable.) A couple of recessed tie-downs, yes, or maybe one long groove at the top with those little adjustable clips, yes. But get rid of all the grooves.
if the bed grooves are t-track then can't they have inserts to prevent gravel, etc from getting in the cracks?, made to be non slip or slip material depending upon preference? and allow for unlimited tie down points for cargo?

I've always had a lineX bed liner in my trucks and I'm a fan, but more because the bed's were painted, thin, otherwise useless....I actually don't want a bed liner in the CT if there's useful t-track setup...
So we have 2 different takes on the grooves. These 2 views have also been expressed by others.
1. If the grooves are T-Slots then they would be very useful and if they get dirt in them we can clean them out.
2. The grooves are going to get filled with dirt/sand/gravel and be useless. Don't want the slots.

I'm thinking though that if the grooves get filled with stuff and become unusable then you essentially have a flat bed at that point with no grooves. Problem solved. Plus if you don't want the grooves you can coat the bed like normal trucks and again, problem solved.

But here's the issue I see. We don't actually know if the grooves are T-Slots. If they are, then the people who want them will be very happy. And the people who don't will have to work around them. If the grooves are not T-Slots though, I'm thinking the T-Slot afficianados will be disappointed and the flat bed people will still be frustrated. Worst outcome.

Unless Tesla has some new and superior use for the grooves. In which case who knows.

I'm thinking though that for all uses other than hauling small particulate matter having T-Slots would be really helpful. Perhaps Tesla has thought through how the small particulate crowd can be appeased.

Cyberman

First Name
Adam
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
F150,F550, Escape
Occupation
Cybercontractor
Country flag
T-slots sound like a great idea, futuristic and all, it's great for people who plan on having a super clean bed, say hauling furniture 'n shit, BUT for everyone else, who would like a liner or may carry a load of sand & gravel, t-slots would be a disaster. I also trust Elon & co. will figure out the best way to implement design to make the most people happy.

Crissa

First Name
Crissa
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2014 Zero S, 2013 Mazda 3
Country flag
...who would like a liner or may carry a load of sand & gravel, t-slots would be a disaster.
Why?

At worst, they don't work for you. But you weren't using them. So you don't care that they don't work for you.

Or is this like the lady across the street complaining about the propane tank the company left on the side of the road by her fence that's completely invisible from her side - but I have to see every time I step out my door? It has no actual impact in her life other than it upsets here to have the knowledge it's there and busted?

-Crissa

Newton

First Name
Newton
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
p̶r̶i̶u̶s̶ c̶,̶ y̶o̶t̶a̶ p̶i̶c̶k̶u̶p, ⼕丫⻏?尺セ尺ㄩ⼕长
Country flag
I originally thought they were t slots.
But I'm like 95% sure they are just rubber glued or bolted onto the flat stainless bed.

Simple, cheap, efficient, seems to be the plans for CT. So I couldn't really imagine a complicated bed

Dids

First Name
Les
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
04 Tacoma, 23 Cybertruck
Occupation
Self
Country flag
I originally thought they were t slots.
But I'm like 95% sure they are just rubber glued or bolted onto the flat stainless bed.

Simple, cheap, efficient, seems to be the plans for CT. So I couldn't really imagine a complicated bed
You are making an argument for it having t slots. There is existing product, table top stainless steel with the slots... simple , cheap, efficient is using something that is already used for other products.

Idaho_7

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
RAM 3/4 ton
Country flag
Save manufacturing costs: Go with a flat surface and add a spray in liner. This way people/pets can sleep in the truck bed, it would be easier to haul sand, bark, pavers, etc.etc. and, in addition, be able haul furniture/equipment or supplies while still being able to easily wash the entire bed out with a garden hose.
Also: Yes, plenty of tie downs are required.
Sponsored