Deleted member 859

Yes, Texas is huge. Even in an ICE vehicle with 10 minutes for fuel fill ups it will take the majority of a day to reach El Paso at the western border of Texas after leaving Austin and that includes elevated speed limits in West Texas of 85 mph.

jerhenderson

First Name
Jeremy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Cybertruck
Occupation
Correctional Officer
Country flag
Yes, Texas is huge. Even in an ICE vehicle with 10 minutes for fuel fill ups it will take the majority of a day to reach El Paso at the western border of Texas after leaving Austin and that includes elevated speed limits in West Texas of 85 mph.
Huge? Drive a central or western Canadian province.

LoPro

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla Model 3 DM LR
Country flag
Texas is both taller and wider than either Alberta or Saskatchewan.

-Crissa
Texas is 2.1 times the size of Norway too. It’s humongous to me. We have over twice as many Tesla superchargers though. But superchargers wouldn’t be a problem with a dual or trimotor CT anyway of course.

Last edited:

OneLapper

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
BMW 328d Sportswagon
Country flag
Texas is both taller and wider than either Alberta or Saskatchewan.

-Crissa
Texas is 2.1 times the size of Norway too. It’s humongous to me. We have over twice as many Tesla superchargers though. But superchargers wouldn’t be a problem with a dual or trimotor CT anyway of course.

Quick story about the relative size of Texas, and this country.

In college I dated a woman from Greece that was on the Olympic ski team. We decided to drive to New Mexico to visit a friend and ski for a week, during spring break. Massachusetts to New Mexico and back in 10 days.

In short, she lost her mind. Traveling in a car non-stop for 30 hours pushed her over the edge.

After skiing for 4 days, seeing the Grand Canyon, she flew home, left my buddy and I to drive back tag team style. I think she dumped me over that trip... It's okay, we're still friends 25 years later. She lives in Norway, has an electric car, and works with Olympic athletes.

LoPro

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla Model 3 DM LR
Country flag
Quick story about the relative size of Texas, and this country.

In college I dated a woman from Greece that was on the Olympic ski team. We decided to drive to New Mexico to visit a friend and ski for a week, during spring break. Massachusetts to New Mexico and back in 10 days.

In short, she lost her mind. Traveling in a car non-stop for 30 hours pushed her over the edge.

After skiing for 4 days, seeing the Grand Canyon, she flew home, left my buddy and I to drive back tag team style. I think she dumped me over that trip... It's okay, we're still friends 25 years later. She lives in Norway, has an electric car, and works with Olympic athletes.
Ironically it’s about 30 hours by car from Greece to me in Norway too ? but it’s passing through 9 (!) countries which few used to do by car. It’s getting more popular with Teslas though (We took the semi-high speed night train to Italy last vacation abroad, and could have brought our car on the train).

I think you hunker down and drive cars much longer over there. I’m amazed by some of the daily car commutes I hear about. FSD is made for you. But it’s a large country as you say.

Last edited:

Crissa

First Name
Crissa
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2014 Zero S, 2013 Mazda 3
Country flag
Driving through the panhandle was pretty mindblowing. I'd been at sea before, lived in Arizona a awhile, but nothing prepared me for just how flat Texas is. It's literally more flat in a place so you can see further than you can at sea!

I was hallucinating trees at night so I had to swap off driving last time through. Also, I think I got food poisoning at the Big Texan ^-^

-Crissa

Last edited:

fritter63

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2018 Model 3 LR, 2019 Model 3 SR+
Occupation
Retired Software Engineer, Woodworker and guitar builder extraordinaire
Country flag
So she failed the "pre-marital travel test". Or should we call it a filter? :ROFLMAO:

LKP

First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla model Y, Ford Fusion plug-in hybrid
Occupation
Retired manager
Country flag
I have reserved 3 CT. Each one I plan to pick up from the factory. I had a really great experience when I picked up Mercedes from the Sindelfingen factory, Germany, and delivered it to Belarus where I used to live at that time. It was so cool!
Wanna show my kids how cars are built, where they are built and the people that build these cars.
I would likely do the same and pick it up, but have a question. If you pick it up, does one still pay the destination charges? I live only about 45 minutes from the Fremont factory, and still had to pay the $750 destination charges even after willing to pick it up there.

Crissa

First Name
Crissa
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2014 Zero S, 2013 Mazda 3
Country flag
If you pick it up, does one still pay the destination charges?
Answers:
The delivery charge rolls in the paperwork and prep of the vehicle for sale, so they don't charge a different number anywhere in the country.
I will say this. We used to transport the S and Xs, prior to the M3. We also delivered the new cars to the buyers, at their homes. Tesla averages the delivery costs over all the cars they sell. Some cost more to deliver than others.

I would not expect a "free" factory pickup option. That would be very unlikely.
-Crissa

OneLapper

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
BMW 328d Sportswagon
Country flag
So she failed the "pre-marital travel test". Or should we call it a filter? :ROFLMAO:
Oh yeah, major fail.

It took her 2.5 hours to drive from one side of Greece to the other. 30 hours killed her. She bought a huge bottle of vodka and slept in the back of my Volvo wagon for 90% of it.

OneLapper

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
BMW 328d Sportswagon
Country flag
That seems like a major part of the disenjoyment factor. Alcohol and a road trip?

Where's the sick emoji again?

-Crissa
There's still the mystery of how she drank that entire bottle of vodka but only left the car ONE time in 30 hours. I swear she must have peed some where, some how. We laughed about that for hours on the drive home.

I say this, she could drink and she could ski! She was way better at both than me!
Sponsored