6.5% of EV drivers in TEAXS who experienced an outage had battery energy storage system

rr6013

First Name
Rex
Threads
Reaction score
Website
shorttakes.substack.com
Vehicles
1997 Tahoe 2 door 4x4
Occupation
Retired software developer and heavy commercial design builder
Country flag
PlugShare reports 6.5% of EV drivers who experienced an outage had a battery energy storage system installed at their homes. These systems, like Tesla’s Powerwall, made it possible to charge an EV even when the grid had completely shut down. One EV owner told PlugShare: ”We experienced 42 grid outages for a total of 39 hours. We charged 2 EVs without difficulty and had no home power loss due to solar panels and battery back-ups.”
https://apple.news/A0y-yspbDQOmwjLbYYk0V7Q

Wondered what the ballpark number was of BEV owners who bought, at least, battery backup. That is STEP#2 on roadmap to owning up to BEV independence. STEP#1 is the power box grid tie hardware installation to accommodate backup battery charging. Tesla have a different uptake statistic? I’ve seen STEP#1 ~ $2000USD w/o Mains upgrade. Any numbers from Tesla Powerwall owners for STEP#2?
Sponsored

Frankenblob

First Name
Frank, USA is the BEST. Communism SUX
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
M38A-1, Trans-am
Country flag
keeping some heat, lights and such on is great but usage of your toilet, shower/bath or getting water is very limited. Remember only so many flushes and hot water can be used.

Being on ones own well and septic is the best.

Powerwalls are great but if the water treatment plant is down then NO water and, if not careful, a potential backup of sewers into ones residence.

TheLastStarfighter

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Dodge Challenger, Tesla Model 3
Occupation
Industrial Engineer
Country flag
keeping some heat, lights and such on is great but usage of your toilet, shower/bath or getting water is very limited. Remember only so many flushes and hot water can be used.

Being on ones own well and septic is the best.

Powerwalls are great but if the water treatment plant is down then NO water and, if not careful, a potential backup of sewers into ones residence.
I don't know what it's like where you are, but here when you are on a public utility you can flush and pour water as much as you want when the power's out.

CompMaster

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tri CT
Country flag
I don't know what it's like where you are, but here when you are on a public utility you can flush and pour water as much as you want when the power's out.
I believe the issues was the water plants had no power and thus no water to distribute. And in most areas pipes were frozen solid, again no water to your location. Texas storm was difficult then other storms as there systems were not designed or maintained for a storm like that.
Yes you may have water with no power, but for how long..

TheLastStarfighter

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Dodge Challenger, Tesla Model 3
Occupation
Industrial Engineer
Country flag
I believe the issues was the water plants had no power and thus no water to distribute. And in most areas pipes were frozen solid, again no water to your location. Texas storm was difficult then other storms as there systems were not designed or maintained for a storm like that.
Yes you may have water with no power, but for how long..
Our pipes are all below frost line, and our water plants have backup power. So, a long time.

gphenix

First Name
Gary
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
75th Anniversary Jeep Grand Cherokee, MERCEDES AMG SLC43
Country flag
You have to keep the water flowing if you don't want it to freeze, too.

-Crissa
Tankless system is the way to go. I got in when the best systems first came to our city. A $3000 dollar system then is now $10,000.
Sponsored