Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Toyota Avalon, Rav4, Tri-motor Cybertruck
Occupation
Nurse
Country flag
GMC Hummer EV undergoes rigorous winter testing, SUV gets unveil date
FOLLOW THE GMC HUMMER EV ON ITS TESTING AND DEVELOPMENT JOURNEY AS A TEAM OF ENGINEERS VISITS LOCATIONS ACROSS THE U.S. TO TUNE THE GMC HUMMER EV IN THE LEAD-UP TO ITS PRODUCTION DEBUT THIS FALL.
Tesla Cybertruck GMC Hummer EV undergoes rigorous winter testing, SUV gets unveil date work-pic-update-80x80

ByJoey Klender
Posted on March 9, 2021

GMC’s entrance into the electric vehicle market with a Hummer shocked the world. When the legacy automaker announced that it would be shifting the gas-guzzling tank of a vehicle to an all-electric and sustainable powertrain, it counteracted the natural association people have with the words “Hummer” and “gas-hog.” Now, prior to its planned rollout later this year in the fall, GMC is testing the Hummer EV under extremely harsh winter conditions, making sure it is ready to handle the highly-challenging terrains it will likely be confronted with after its first deliveries. Additionally, GMC announced the planned unveiling event for the Hummer EV SUV on April 3rd.
GMC’s Hummer EV was unveiled in October 2020, and the automaker is currently going through the process of developing the vehicle through regular testing. A team of GMC engineers recently took the vehicle to the Upper Peninsula of Michigan, where snow-covered terrains, low temperatures, and challenging scenarios lie ahead for nearly any vehicle that sits in its path. However, a likely and worthy challenger in the Hummer EV performed well, proving that GMC’s several driving assistance features undoubtedly will come to the rescue when needed.

Confronted with sub-zero temperatures, unfavorable surfaces that provided relatively no traction, snow, ice, and constantly changing grades, the Hummer EV had its work cut out for it. GMC has worked on developing a powerful and dependable all-wheel-drive torque distribution with a traction control system that is designed to handle these terrains specifically.

The Hummer EV proved itself a worthy opponent for the terrain, handling itself with speed, precision, and accuracy, according to a video released by GMC, all on one of the more challenging environments for a vehicle on Earth.

While the Hummer EV remains on the backburner for GMC until production begins this fall, the vehicle will continue on with its developments until the release is found to be favorable for the company. Parent company GM also announced recently that there would be downtime at three of its current production facilities due to semiconductor shortages globally. However, this will not affect the Hummer EV’s production dates as the vehicle will be built at GMC’s Detroit-Hamtramck Assembly Center, which was recently retooled for EV production thanks to a $2.2 billion investment. This facility was not one of the three that GM listed as those affected by the semiconductor shortage.

Finally, GMC also announced that it would unveil the GMC Hummer EV SUV on April 3rd, during the NCAA Final Four.

https://www.teslarati.com/gmc-hummer-ev-winter-testing-suv-unveil-date/
Sponsored

Last edited:

Hunter Sawyer

First Name
Hunter
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Cybertruck
Occupation
Construction Worker
Country flag
WAIT WAIT WAIT. I thought this was the SUV version. /s

DarinCT

First Name
Darin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
M3, CT triM
Country flag
I feel like this was originally a tweet or two that got expanded into "an article".

In the video, the music is the dominant sound while the Hummer does its thing. In a "normal" car commercial, if the muffler sound was pleasing, then it would be featured. We get neitherthe driver's experience nor the outdoor sound experience. So... a drone and done techno music is going to entice a Hummer buyer??!?

OP
OP
MEDICALJMP

MEDICALJMP

First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Toyota Avalon, Rav4, Tri-motor Cybertruck
Occupation
Nurse
Country flag
At the price point GM is charging the competition to Cybertruck will be minuscule. The base model truck is more than the top of the line CT. I do not understand the thought process except some well-heeled buyers want a traditional name badge.

FullyGrounded

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
blah
Country flag
WAIT WAIT WAIT. I thought this was the SUV version. /s
No, the Hummer shown was the crew cab with a bed, not a finished interior space. They want to challenge the other trucks that are entering the space, with that very capable bulldog of a stance - great approach, excellent departure, and all. It wins over the numbers the CT has provided so far, as Elon is trying to be all things with his initial offering. And, trust me; at 6'5" tall, I highly value a 6.5' bed. Those bathtub beds they have been offering don't work for me, unless I automatically opt for the rooftop tent - not always the best of worlds. Too, the added depth of storage options also allows for much more capability out in the wild. A huge bonus. So, while the Hummer would likely have my bid if the Cybertruck didn't exist; the Cybertruck does exist and that's where my vote is. But, I don't proceed with my eyes closed. I am very openly checking out the competition, and from what I see, they're not even close. peace

Hunter Sawyer

First Name
Hunter
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Cybertruck
Occupation
Construction Worker
Country flag
/s means sarcasm. I was making a joke saying that the Hummer can't really be used for work, at least neither of my jobs would play well due to lack of space in the bed. Same with the Rivian.

Diehard

First Name
D
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Olds Aurora V8, Saturn Sky redline, Lightning, CT2
Country flag
At the price point GM is charging the competition to Cybertruck will be minuscule. The base model truck is more than the top of the line CT. I do not understand the thought process except some well-heeled buyers want a traditional name badge.
I doubt this was meant to compete with Cybertruck. GM has already made something affordable, now it trying to make something capable (as oppose to EV1 and Bolt). GM is not ready to mass produce any EV at Silverado numbers. In 2020, GM sold a little over 20K Bolts while Tesla sold 365K M3s. Making something capable AND affordable at those numbers is much more difficult than a few at either end, especially if EV is not your core business, you don't have full control over your supply chain and you are late in the game in securing what you need. Frankly, even though I understand the logic of the design/price relationship for CT, I still have to see a CT sold with the price and specs advertised to believe it.

firsttruck

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
none
Country flag
I still have to see a CT sold with the price and specs advertised to believe it.

Sandy Munro's company worked with GM on EV1. Sandy said they met all goals except range and that was only missed because GM made them use lead acid batteries instead of the available NiMH (nickel metal hydride) batteries.

Sandy is an expert at determining what products cost to manufacture. He has commented several times that factory capital expenditure costs are a huge part of an items cost. Sandy has said Cybertruck's stainless steel exoskeleton design will allow Tesla to have lower cost than if Tesla did a traditional curved & painted design.
Sandy has not once predicted that Cybertruck would cost more.

If GM, Ford, RAM lose 500K or more units in sales because buyers switch to Tesla, Rivian, Workhorse, other brands, GM, Ford, RAM costs for ICE trucks will go up but they will probably have to lower prices on ICE trucks. They will be in a squeeze. Costs going up, prices going down. Reduced profit.
GM, Ford, RAM are hyping hybrid trucks but hybrid trucks cost more to make than pure ICE trucks.
GM, Ford, RAM do not know how to make EV trucks as cost effectively as Tesla. Also GM, Ford, RAM will pay more for batteries IF they can even get enough of them (batteries).

Last edited:

firsttruck

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
none
Country flag
Tesla’s lead in batteries will last through decade while GM closes in
Tesla’s advantage stems not only from the scale of its operations, but also from Elon Musk’s relentless pursuit of lower battery costs, according to Cairn Energy Research Advisors.
Key Points
* Battery packs are the biggest expense in manufacturing electric vehicles.
* On average per kWh cost for battery
$142 Tesla
$169 GM
$186 Industry average
Published Wed, Mar 10 2021
Phil LeBeau @Lebeaucarnews
https://www.cnbc.com/2021/03/10/tes...-last-through-decade-while-gm-closes-in-.html

FutureBoy

First Name
Reginald
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Toyota Sienna
Occupation
Financial Advisor
Country flag
Tesla’s lead in batteries will last through decade while GM closes in
Tesla’s advantage stems not only from the scale of its operations, but also from Elon Musk’s relentless pursuit of lower battery costs, according to Cairn Energy Research Advisors.
Key Points
* Battery packs are the biggest expense in manufacturing electric vehicles.
* On average per kWh cost for battery
$142 Tesla
$169 GM
$186 Industry average
Published Wed, Mar 10 2021
Phil LeBeau @Lebeaucarnews
https://www.cnbc.com/2021/03/10/tes...-last-through-decade-while-gm-closes-in-.html
Thing is that while GM may get their battery costs down, Tesla will get theirs downer. Tesla is not a static target. By 2025 Tesla will be producing so many vehicles that their costs are still going to be much smaller than GM. Plus GM will not be able to compete on the assembly line. Their costs will be too high so they won’t sell anywhere near as many vehicles. Without the volume of vehicles, their battery costs won’t drop low enough to keep up with Tesla.

The more I watch what is happening, the more I think Tesla already has the advantage it needs to take basically the whole cake. Game set match. It’s kind of like the old martial arts anime shows where the bad guy is already dead but just doesn’t realize it yet.

At this point it would seriously take a proverbial act of god to change the outcome.

Crissa

First Name
Crissa
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2014 Zero S, 2013 Mazda 3
Country flag
I don't think Tesla can make enough cars to fulfil demand.

But with the costs associated with each, it does seem like they're way ahead.

I almost worry that by being so far ahead, that it might end up delaying adoption of electric cars because the traditional automakers can't compete on cost. They'll keep making ICE cars instead because those can compete on sticker price.

-Crissa

Old Pro

First Name
Bob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
I own a 2006 Toyota Tacoma and 2018 Tesla Model 3,
Occupation
Retired
Country flag
GMC Hummer EV undergoes rigorous winter testing, SUV gets unveil date
FOLLOW THE GMC HUMMER EV ON ITS TESTING AND DEVELOPMENT JOURNEY AS A TEAM OF ENGINEERS VISITS LOCATIONS ACROSS THE U.S. TO TUNE THE GMC HUMMER EV IN THE LEAD-UP TO ITS PRODUCTION DEBUT THIS FALL.
work-pic-update-80x80.jpg

ByJoey Klender
Posted on March 9, 2021

GMC’s entrance into the electric vehicle market with a Hummer shocked the world. When the legacy automaker announced that it would be shifting the gas-guzzling tank of a vehicle to an all-electric and sustainable powertrain, it counteracted the natural association people have with the words “Hummer” and “gas-hog.” Now, prior to its planned rollout later this year in the fall, GMC is testing the Hummer EV under extremely harsh winter conditions, making sure it is ready to handle the highly-challenging terrains it will likely be confronted with after its first deliveries. Additionally, GMC announced the planned unveiling event for the Hummer EV SUV on April 3rd.
GMC’s Hummer EV was unveiled in October 2020, and the automaker is currently going through the process of developing the vehicle through regular testing. A team of GMC engineers recently took the vehicle to the Upper Peninsula of Michigan, where snow-covered terrains, low temperatures, and challenging scenarios lie ahead for nearly any vehicle that sits in its path. However, a likely and worthy challenger in the Hummer EV performed well, proving that GMC’s several driving assistance features undoubtedly will come to the rescue when needed.

Confronted with sub-zero temperatures, unfavorable surfaces that provided relatively no traction, snow, ice, and constantly changing grades, the Hummer EV had its work cut out for it. GMC has worked on developing a powerful and dependable all-wheel-drive torque distribution with a traction control system that is designed to handle these terrains specifically.

The Hummer EV proved itself a worthy opponent for the terrain, handling itself with speed, precision, and accuracy, according to a video released by GMC, all on one of the more challenging environments for a vehicle on Earth.

While the Hummer EV remains on the backburner for GMC until production begins this fall, the vehicle will continue on with its developments until the release is found to be favorable for the company. Parent company GM also announced recently that there would be downtime at three of its current production facilities due to semiconductor shortages globally. However, this will not affect the Hummer EV’s production dates as the vehicle will be built at GMC’s Detroit-Hamtramck Assembly Center, which was recently retooled for EV production thanks to a $2.2 billion investment. This facility was not one of the three that GM listed as those affected by the semiconductor shortage.

Finally, GMC also announced that it would unveil the GMC Hummer EV SUV on April 3rd, during the NCAA Final Four.

https://www.teslarati.com/gmc-hummer-ev-winter-testing-suv-unveil-date/
$110K? I think not.
Sponsored