HaulingAss

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2010 F-150, 2018 Model 3 Perform, FS Cybertruck
Country flag
Just like when electric cars came to market the fire dept. guys had to learn new tricks. I don't think anyone is worried about rescuing people inside, the thing floats, has no gasoline to burn, and is bullet proof. Sounds like you are safer inside.

Not sure how door handles make a difference, if the car is locked they were not going to do anything anyway.
You win the rational thought award! :cool:

I do get entertained about all the hand-wringing over obvious questions. Some people act like they were the first person in the world to say "what if...".

When cars first got door locks and ignition keys I'm sure car owner's everywhere were thinking this must be a bad idea. I mean, what if you lose your keys? What if a bad person jams a stick in the keyhole? What if someone makes a copy of your key? What if your key gets bent or broken? :rolleyes:
Sponsored

Last edited:

jcoophoff

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Model X, Model 3
Country flag
With impenetrable windows and no handles, what are you supposed to do if the battery dies? It does happen ....
If the battery in the car is "dead", then there's no reason to have the door open on its own, right?

Diehard

First Name
D
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Olds Aurora V8, Saturn Sky redline, Lightning, CT2
Country flag
Not to worry! You forget this is Cyber Truck. No handles may mean no doors either. We just teleport ourselves in and out of the craft!;)
By the time I get mine, that is a very likely case. I need to start saving my banana peels in case Elon removes the plug too.

Rockvillerich

First Name
Richard
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Cybertruck, tri-motor, and dual motor.
Occupation
Machine fabrication
Country flag
Interesting, didn't expect it to lose door handles from the concept. This makes the Cybertruck even more futuristic and forward looking.

So we should probably expect the self-opening and closing doors like the Model X?
Sorry to say that's not a feature I like at all. I expect flush door handles, but not having them kinda sucks assuming a POS smart phone is the only way to operate the thing. Big thumbs down here.

jcoophoff

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Model X, Model 3
Country flag
I'm thinking more like the Mach-E has no handles per se. They have a finger print reader. I'm thinking it will be cameras that recognize who is approaching and simply open but not fully like the X. Elon has commented many times that that car is a Faberge egg and contains many things that simply aren't necessary. I suspect its auto opening and closing may be one of those things.
On my MX, the auto-open driver door is one of the best features in the car. It still amazes me every time I approach, and it works like a charm.

As far as the ice breaker feature on my MX, it works great when the door does not open for whatever reason. It's probably been used fewer than (10) times in the (3) years I've had the car.

Fingerprint reader or face recognition ... very interesting ... but I think that would add too much complexity.

In general, the idea of "less is more " actually works in this case (i.e. no door handles). Even though I really don't need a truck, I may end up keeping my very early reservation because it's just too cool and super useful.

Diehard

First Name
D
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Olds Aurora V8, Saturn Sky redline, Lightning, CT2
Country flag
If the battery in the car is "dead", then there's no reason to have the door open on its own, right?
Not on it's own but there could be reasons you want to open it. May be your dog is inside and it is 120 degrees under AZ sun or you are outside and looking mighty tasty to that grizzly bear a few yards away.

FutureBoy

First Name
Reginald
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Toyota Sienna
Occupation
Financial Advisor
Country flag
Oh boy, with 5 words from Elon we already have 5 pages of comments. Just imagine what will happen once the full specs get revealed.

WildhavenMI

First Name
Nick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Cybertruck (reserved), 2021 Bolt EV, 2018 Model X
Occupation
Digital @ Aurora Solar
Country flag
Oh boy, with 5 words from Elon we already have 5 pages of comments. Just imagine what will happen once the full specs get revealed.
These trickle updates are the only way I keep myself excited about the CT and not "settling" for a Y or a used X.

grave367

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Cybertruck (eventually)
Country flag
It seems incorrect to speculate, and that's all that Elon's tweet seemed to cause.

It's not a bad idea really, get a bunch of your market segment into a forum to speculate, and cherry pick out the best user suggested features.

I personally hope there's still some kind of analog handle, frequent ice ups happen all the time in Wisconsin. Maybe even a backup handle on the underside of one of the doors. I don't carry my phone onto jobsites in favor of leaving it in the truck. So having to unlock/open the door with a phone just seems annoying/risky. One of my favorite features of other modern trucks is the keypad entry. No phone, no keys, no frills. A jobsite mode could alleviate this, have the user select a door and only the selected door will open when using an underdoor handle?

Otherwise just make sure the body is strong enough for me to kick it or hit it with a shovel to break the ice when the actuators in the door get frozen down. It's a truck, it's gotta endure the workload intended for it.

VolklKatana

First Name
Aaron
Threads
Reaction score
Website
ts.la
Vehicles
2019 Tesla M3 LR AWD FSD, CT3 reserved
Occupation
Data Architect
Country flag
I could have sworn there was already a tweet about this and it was pretty evident that Elon wanted to do something similar to this....a disappearing button.

EBender

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Egolf
Occupation
Professional Bender
Country flag
this will defiantly look awesome and i love it but will require some getting used to like running out to grab a coat left in car now need connected device like phone i assume and can't just leave unlocked
Maybe facial recognition to open for you?

Ehninger1212

First Name
Jake
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Audi A3 E-Tron - 2005 Land Rover LR3 - T-Bucket - 1951 chevy 3100
Occupation
Architect/Fabricator
Country flag
The site will crash, the internet will break but the updated CT windows will not shatter.