audi2tesla

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2020 Tesla Model 3; 2014 Dodge Grand Caravan
Country flag
Our caravan has this. My kids wished they could use their xbox1 controllers to play the Tesla games like it seems to have in the S and X.
Sponsored

MEDICALJMP

First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Toyota Avalon, Rav4, Tri-motor Cybertruck
Occupation
Nurse
Country flag
Just like any other government agency, NHTSA sits on its hands and is unable to make a decision.
_———————————————————————-

Tesla’s Yoke Steering Wheel: NHTSA gives new statement
(CREDIT: TESLA) https://www.teslarati.com/tesla-yoke-steering-wheel-nhtsa-statement-march-2021/
Tesla Cybertruck Cybertruck’s Yoke-Style Steering Wheel Revealed by Way of Model S and X Updated Interiors?! work-pic-update-80x80

ByJoey Klender
Posted on March 4, 2021

The National Highway Traffic Safety Administration (NHTSA) has given an updated statement regarding Tesla’s new Yoke Steering Wheel, which comes as an option with the refreshed Model S and Model X.

The NHTSA told Teslarati this morning:
NHTSA is aware of the recently launched Tesla steering yoke in certain Model S vehicles. We requested and received information from Tesla about the steering yoke and we remain actively engaged with the company during our review. NHTSA routinely engages with auto manufacturers and suppliers to better understand the new technologies and features they develop and introduce to the U.S. fleet.”

Since early February, the NHTSA has been actively reviewing the Yoke Steering Wheel when the agency indicated that it “cannot determine if the steering wheel meets Federal Motor Vehicle Safety Standards. We will be reaching out to the automaker for more information.” Since then, Tesla has been communicating with the NHTSA to determine whether the Yoke lines up with its safety standards.

Any car or equipment used with a vehicle that will operate on U.S. roads must comply with the NHTSA’s FMVSS, or Federal Motor Vehicle Safety Standards. Tesla and any other car company has the right and ability to determine internally whether a vehicle or piece of vehicle equipment is compliant with the FMVSS, and can use any means necessary to determine this. Manufacturers can use testing procedures, engineering analytics, or standard testing procedures to determine whether a vehicle or piece of equipment meets the NHTSA’s FMVSS standards. Ultimately, the NHTSA gets the final say, and if a vehicle or piece of equipment is in violation of any of the FMVSS regulations, the agency has the ability to act if it sees a reason to believe that it is noncompliant or has the possibility of causing a safety-related defect.

The NHTSA’s FMVSS regulations are available here.

Tesla unveiled its Yoke steering wheel on January 27th, 2021, during the release of its Q4 2020 Earnings CallUpdate Letter, when the manufacturer revealed updated pictures of the refreshed Model S interior. Along with several other updates, the most notable and arguably the most talked about feature was the addition of a Yoke steering wheel, giving the Model S an even more sporty interior. First glimpses of the Yoke steering wheel were uncovered this past weekend by The Kilowatts, which showed the newly-designed wheel within a Model S interior.

It has been speculated whether Tesla would be able to keep the Yoke design within its Model S and Model X vehicles. As of now, it appears the NHTSA is still communicating with Tesla, but the Yoke has not given the NHTSA an indication that Tesla has committed any noncompliance or safety-related defects with the new steering wheel design.

Tesla’s new Yoke steering wheel has been approved for use in several regions, including the United Kingdom and the Netherlands.

——————————————————————————————————

I predicted before that after much delay, hand-ringing, teeth-grinding and general government do-nothing that the NHTSA will ultimately approve the yoke. I’m still betting on it.

Last edited:

rarburt

First Name
Ryan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Ford F150, Chevy Traverse
Occupation
UX Designer
Country flag
I am going to accidentally turn on my turn signal all the time.
As a UX Designer I am positive they tested against this and have figured out how to stop this from happening. Would think this would be the #1 concern in going with a yoke.

soonerdy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Cybertruck
Country flag
If there are no stalks, how do we put this car into forward or reverse gear.
Using touch screens,...?.surely that cannot be true.
Well, you never know how Elon's brain works. :D
Teslas are supposed to anticipate what gear you want to be in for most scenarios in the near future, so while I agree it won't be on the touch screen it won't need to be used nearly as much as we do today.

Sirfun

First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Toyota Avalon, Chrysler Pacifica PHEV, Ford E-250
Occupation
Retired Sheet Metal Worker
Country flag
When I looked at photos I took yesterday of our drive along the coast I noticed my wife should be just fine with Yoke Steering. If you're wondering about the doll. That's Izzy my daughter's little friend. When Izzy was thrown to the front, we decided she needed to work on her tan, driving past Malibu! ?
Tesla Cybertruck Cybertruck’s Yoke-Style Steering Wheel Revealed by Way of Model S and X Updated Interiors?! handpostions

SHorzy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Cybertruck
Country flag
I love the new yoke. I think the only thing that could be an issue is slow tight turns... but, if a variable power steering system was used it would not be any issue. My Commander side-by-side has a manually set power steering system. With the CT, when driving slowly it could be automatically set to maximum and as the vehicle speeds up it could be reduced.

Bond007

First Name
Bond
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Cybertruck
Country flag
Teslas are supposed to anticipate what gear you want to be in for most scenarios in the near future, so while I agree it won't be on the touch screen it won't need to be used nearly as much as we do today.
After all it looks like the gear sifter is actually on the touchscreen. Even though with Tesla's smart gear prediction, it'll be rarely ever used (baring the first few times when you show it off to friends / family). Most will be super happy to see the auto gear selection anyways.

CompMaster

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tri CT
Country flag
They started preaching 9/3 instead of 10/2 so airbag deployments throws your hands apart instead of into your face.
Is this in school or else were as well. I would love to get some sources and share to others for there safety.

Friday

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Cybertruck
I still don't understand the belief that yoke style makes tight u-turns difficult. The launch day test rides show the drivers being effortless with the u-turns they did over and over and over. At least a couple of different drivers and I didn't see flying elbows and wild arm movements. Also, the drivers were distracted answering questions and pointing out features, and still the turns looked easy when they weren't focusing 100% on driving.

Start at 1:30 in on this video:

@ 1:42 in this one, the start of the turn is missed but the steering out to the turn is shown:

@ 2:03 in this one:
Sponsored