Bryan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Dodge Ram diesel
Occupation
Retired
Country flag
New Tesla Supercharger in Texas Includes Spaces for Cybertruck as Production Nears

April 19, 2021

Tesla Cybertruck New Tesla Supercharger in Texas Includes Spaces (Probably) For Cybertruck 2_a66651af-b5f4-43a9-bf6d-2e479cb3308a_1600x

Photos: @phibetakitten/Twitter

A new Tesla Supercharger station in Texas probably includes four spaces for Cybertruck as they are much larger than the standard ones. This indicates that the company has begun rolling out convenient charging infrastructure for its pickup truck, which will begin production in a few months.

@phibetakitten/Twitter recently visited Tesla's new Supercharger station in Grapevine, Texas. The new location with 12 V3 stalls was opened on April 7 and had an interesting feature. @phibetakitten noticed that four of the 12 stalls had much larger parking spaces. In order to realize how much the size differs from the standard, she said that if a Model 3 is parked exactly in the center of the space, it will not be possible to charge it, since the cable is not long enough to reach the charging port. To charge the car, it would have to be parked closer to the stall so that the charging cable can reach.

Tesla Cybertruck New Tesla Supercharger in Texas Includes Spaces (Probably) For Cybertruck 1_092bc106-635b-4deb-bfab-854fff8acffa_600x600

Tesla Cybertruck New Tesla Supercharger in Texas Includes Spaces (Probably) For Cybertruck 2_f8f3ec97-3ccd-4de1-bf27-b7a2184b8cf9_600x600

There is no doubt that these spaces are much larger than the standard ones. The fact that the cable does not reach the charging port of Model 3 when the vehicle is centered also indicates that these locations are for a larger vehicle, such as Cybertruck. As such, this appears to be one of the first—if not the first—Supercharger stations tailored to support Cybertruck.

Tesla Cybertruck is distinguished not only by its stunning characteristics and appearance but also by its impressive size. The steel beast has the following dimensions:
  • Wheelbase 149.9 in (3.807 mm)
  • Length 231.7 in (5.885 mm)
  • Width 79.8 in (2,027 mm)
  • Height 75 in (1.905 mm)
Given its size, the electric pickup will likely need much larger parking spaces for charging. At the moment, it is known that Tesla is going to include large spaces at two more new Supercharger stations in California, in Pasadena and Santa Monica. Nevertheless, the company can improve the existing ones as well.

SOURCE: TESMANIAN
Sponsored

Bill906

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Jeep
Country flag
Why doesn't the article point out how badly the car is parked?

-Crissa
It did.

@phibetakitten noticed that four of the 12 stalls had much larger parking spaces. In order to realize how much the size differs from the standard, she said that if a Model 3 is parked exactly in the center of the space, it will not be possible to charge it, since the cable is not long enough to reach the charging port. To charge the car, it would have to be parked closer to the stall so that the charging cable can reach.

Crissa

First Name
Crissa
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2014 Zero S, 2013 Mazda 3
Country flag
But the car isn't parked 'in the middle of the space'. It's parked across two spaces. It wouod have been shorter for the cable to reach had they pulled in more centered to the signs rather than the charging stand.

The cable goes around the butt of their car.

-Crissa

Bill906

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Jeep
Country flag
But the car isn't parked 'in the middle of the space'. It's parked across two spaces. It wouod have been shorter for the cable to reach had they pulled in more centered to the signs rather than the charging stand.

The cable goes around the butt of their car.

-Crissa
The angle of the picture is poor. I think if the picture included the space to the right of the car, (viewers right, not car's right), it would be more clear.

Firetruck41

First Name
Ben
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2013 Leaf, 2017 Bolt, 2010 Ram 2500 Megacab
Country flag
Cybertruck is only 2.5" wider than Model S, so that shouldn't be the reason for a much larger parking space. I would suspect they are just using the space available... There probably wasn't enough room for a whole other space, so they enlarged the ones they did have. Or maybe it's for Semi ;) , it's 24" wider than Model S.

android04

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2018 Tesla Model 3 LR RWD, Tesla Cybertruck Tri-motor (reserved)
Country flag
It's possible that the construction company that installed the wheel stops put them in the wrong spot and that's why the cable doesn't reach. It wouldn't be the first time I've seen that happen...

LoPro

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla Model 3 DM LR
Country flag
It's possible that the construction company that installed the wheel stops put them in the wrong spot and that's why the cable doesn't reach. It wouldn't be the first time I've seen that happen...
This is what happened on the opening of a 22 stall just down the coast from me. Press was there and the first Teslas could manage to charge by putting the handbrake on after pressing into the wheel stop and using their body weight on the cable to get the handle in the right angle. Somehow the press didn’t make a big number out of it despite this being “TESLA”. On another one the wheel stop was too tall so only Model X could actually use it (I hope no other Model 3s thoughtlessly backed in there without checking the first day).

Not a problem anymore and all the new ones the last years have been pull-through, space permitting. I would think today’s pull-throughs fit the CT itself but they’re not really suitable for towing when busy. Maybe front-in with good space for variable length trailers and wide space for backing out is the best balance between land use and CT+trailer compatibility?

Last edited:

Bigvbear

First Name
Justin
Threads
Reaction score
Website
ts.la
Vehicles
2001 Chevy Tracker, 2018 Jeep Cherokee
Occupation
IT
Country flag
The angle of the picture is poor. I think if the picture included the space to the right of the car, (viewers right, not car's right), it would be more clear.
I am with Crissa on this one. If you look at the space, but more importantly the black and white painted stop in the back of the stall, you can clearly see the model 3 is way over to one side. No angle is going to show that much of the backstop. that car is clearly NOT in the middle of the space

Firetruck41

First Name
Ben
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2013 Leaf, 2017 Bolt, 2010 Ram 2500 Megacab
Country flag
I am with Crissa on this one. If you look at the space, but more importantly the black and white painted stop in the back of the stall, you can clearly see the model 3 is way over to one side. No angle is going to show that much of the backstop. that car is clearly NOT in the middle of the space
Pretty sure that is what the description said, it had to park (off center) on the edge of the parking space, in order for the charging cable to reach.

Edit: Here is the quote from the Twitter thread
"...she said that if a Model 3 is parked exactly in the center of the space, it will not be possible to charge it, since the cable is not long enough to reach the charging port. To charge the car, it would have to be parked closer to the stall so that the charging cable can reach."

drscot

Banned
Banned
First Name
Martin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Cybertruck
Occupation
Retired physician
Country flag
Why doesn't the article point out how badly the car is parked?

-Crissa
I'm not sure where else to post this: My CT will be my first and maybe my only Tesla. I see Teslas recharging mostly unattended. Is there a method or manner to keep a-holes from unhooking one's vehicle if not observed? If I am inside eating I may not be watching the whole time. Perhaps there is a locking mechanism? I don't know.
Thanks.

android04

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2018 Tesla Model 3 LR RWD, Tesla Cybertruck Tri-motor (reserved)
Country flag
I'm not sure where else to post this: My CT will be my first and maybe my only Tesla. I see Teslas recharging mostly unattended. Is there a method or manner to keep a-holes from unhooking one's vehicle if not observed? If I am inside eating I may not be watching the whole time. Perhaps there is a locking mechanism? I don't know.
Thanks.
The charging handle locks to the car when the doors are locked. This applies to Superchargers and any other Tesla-specific chargers. The standard public chargers that use J1772 handles do not lock to the Tesla. The adapter that comes with every Tesla to use the J1772 handle does lock in, and you can buy or 3D print a simple plastic piece that locks the J1772 handle to the Tesla adapter (see here for one source of many https://teslachargerlock.com/).
Sponsored