New Tundra

JJ_Tex

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Just Purchased: 2021 F150 Hybrid Platinum
Country flag
I live by the Toyota North America HQ and when I drove by last night they had a teaser on their LED sign on their building teasing the new Tundra. Has anyone heard anything about it and if it will have an EV option?

I personally have always liked the looks of the Tundra, but have been hesitant to buy one for my next car since they haven't changed the thing in forever. I'm sure they will still be behind Tesla technology, but it is cool to see the transformation happening across the truck market.

Here is the limited info I could find on their website (teaser pic, little to no content):
https://pressroom.toyota.com/buckle-up-all-new-toyota-tundra-coming-soon/
Sponsored

Ehninger1212

First Name
Jake
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Audi A3 E-Tron - 2005 Land Rover LR3 - T-Bucket - 1951 chevy 3100
Occupation
Architect/Fabricator
Country flag
Well.. we can gather from the image its going to be very wide. Based on the amber marker lights. Seriously doubt any sort of full ev announcement.. I would be shocked.

Probably some sort of hybrid.. but not putting any bets on that.

keyhere

First Name
Key
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Civic, KLX250S
Occupation
EE
Country flag
If they offered a Tacoma plug in hybrid (like the Rav4 Prime) today I would've bought it already, but they're late to the game. When they come out with a hybrid truck, Tesla and others will be building full BEV trucks...

CybertruckAgent

First Name
Bob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Cybertruck Tri-motor
Occupation
Realtor
Country flag
I live by the Toyota North America HQ and when I drove by last night they had a teaser on their LED sign on their building teasing the new Tundra. Has anyone heard anything about it and if it will have an EV option?

I personally have always liked the looks of the Tundra, but have been hesitant to buy one for my next car since they haven't changed the thing in forever. I'm sure they will still be behind Tesla technology, but it is cool to see the transformation happening across the truck market.

Here is the limited info I could find on their website (teaser pic, little to no content):
https://pressroom.toyota.com/buckle-up-all-new-toyota-tundra-coming-soon/
The first thing to note, the teaser photo of the front LED’s show the amber markers required when a vehicle is over a certain size. For example, the standard F150 does not require them, but the Raptor trim does because the fender flairs and suspension components make it so much wider.
So it looks like the Tundra will either be even larger than before(yikes) or it’s TRD off road package is going to be more like the Raptor/TRX.
If I were buying an ICE truck and reliability were the sole factor, Tundra all day and all night. Me personally though, 12 mpg at 3$ per gallon /30k miles per year makes Cybertruck pretty dang compelling, however I am watching the Lightning reveal tonight and I’m open to having my mind changed.

Bankercobb

First Name
William
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
M3, M3P, MY, MS Plaid, i7, CT day 1 FS ordered
Occupation
Marine
Country flag
Toyota is about anti-electric as they come. So don't hold your breath. I could see a hybrid being released though.
It's okay to say nothing or even "I don't know enough about this topic to have an opinion."

Toyota started the electric push. Prius? Maybe you've heard of it. They might not have been the first, but they got that foot in our door and we welcomed it.

Tesla Cybertruck New Tundra Screenshot_20210519-091100_Google

Bigvbear

First Name
Justin
Threads
Reaction score
Website
ts.la
Vehicles
2001 Chevy Tracker, 2018 Jeep Cherokee
Occupation
IT
Country flag
Toyota is about anti-electric as they come. So don't hold your breath. I could see a hybrid being released though.
Ever hear of this car called the Prius? Toyota leads the world in hybrid tech. It would not be a difficult jump to pure electric for them .

I would say that out of all the legacy automakers, Toyota could be a serious contender for Tesla they have longevity in battery tech in cars.

Crissa

First Name
Crissa
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2014 Zero S, 2013 Mazda 3
Country flag
Toyota has a bunch of BEVs in Japan, too.

But that it plans to electrify and has the best PHEV doesn't mean they didn't squander their lead.

-Crissa

CyberT

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2018 Model 3 LR RWD
Occupation
Service Technician
Country flag
It's okay to say nothing or even "I don't know enough about this topic to have an opinion."

Toyota started the electric push. Prius? Maybe you've heard of it. They might not have been the first, but they got that foot in our door and we welcomed it.

Screenshot_20210519-091100_Google.jpg
I would like to say that I do something about this topic and obviously, you missed the point of this entire thread. It's titled "New Tundra". Anyone alive the past 20 years knows of the Prius and its tiny battery that every other car manufacturer has imitated. In fact, I have owned one in the past.

The thread is about if Toyota is going to release a BEV Tundra soon. Toyota has announced that the Tundra "will" be both Hybrid and BEV in the future with the BEV version coming after the Hybrid version. I am not disputing that Toyota will not release a BEV full-size truck. I am stating that the CEO of Toyota Akio Toyoda has publicly disparaged EV's and stated false information as recently as this past December. We can not expect a BEV release of the Tundra soon.

Rivian gave us the first tease back in November 2018, Tesla teased us in March of 2019, Ford gave us a teaser of the Electric F-150 back in July 2019 and GM teased us in May of 2020. Only Rivian will launch their truck in 2021 and the rest will follow in 2022. Where is Toyota's tease? If Toyota releases a tease of the BEV Tundra, it will take at least 2 years for it to come to market.

All OEM car/truck manufacturers have an extremely difficult road ahead. It takes billions of dollars to invest in electrifying the next generation of vehicles. They can not come out and say what we all know already that BEV vehicles are superior to ICE. They need to continue selling the ICE vehicles to continue funding the BEV investment. If they don't switch to an electric future soon, they will be frankly put out of business.

Let's try to be civilized here in this forum and not act like jerks. Being so quick to knock someone down is poor manors. I value many of the smart contributors that post in this forum opinions, time, and thought that they put into making this forum a wealth of useful knowledge to educate the rest of us about our dream truck. Respect goes a long way.

I apologize to the rest of you who have to read through this wall but I will not be responding back to this thread

firsttruck

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
none
Country flag
All OEM car/truck manufacturers have an extremely difficult road ahead. It takes billions of dollars to invest in electrifying the next generation of vehicles. They can not come out and say what we all know already that BEV vehicles are superior to ICE. They need to continue selling the ICE vehicles to continue funding the BEV investment. If they don't switch to an electric future soon, they will be frankly put out of business.
Telcos & Internet service providers claimed they were going to use extra money to invest in high-speed Internet. What happened, they kept the money & gave U.S. consumer 2nd rate Internet compared to other advanced countries in the world.

For years the auto OEMs made claims about investing in future but did they. No

Until Elon & Tesla forced the market the auto OEMs just kept the profit and invested very little.
Sponsored