Cybertruck Plaid

Will there be a Plaid version of the Cybertruck?

• Total voters

Ranulf

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tri motor
Country flag
I think its inevitable that a high performance package of some sort will be offered, probably starting at around $100,000. No idea what the specs may be...but 0-60 would probably be at least a half a second faster and perhaps ~185-200 mph top speed.

Thoughts?
Sponsored

OP
OP

Ranulf

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tri motor
Country flag
I hope they don’t make a plaid because as it is I am probably going to have to downgrade my reservation to a dual motor. I definitely won’t be able to afford a plaid, if they make one.

Crissa

First Name
Crissa
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2014 Zero S, 2013 Mazda 3
Country flag
I hope they don’t make a plaid because as it is I am probably going to have to downgrade my reservation to a dual motor. I definitely won’t be able to afford a plaid, if they make one.
That's a weird statement, since if the Tri-motor is a Plaid, then why would it suddenly cost much more than they projected? And if they make a special Plaid edition of the tri-motor, why would you have to downgrade?

-Crissa

OP
OP

Ranulf

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tri motor
Country flag
That's a weird statement, since if the Tri-motor is a Plaid, then why would it suddenly cost much more than they projected? And if they make a special Plaid edition of the tri-motor, why would you have to downgrade?

-Crissa

Plaid would be a step above Tri.

I’m saving up for a Tri but if they beat the odds (Me, way way down the list, getting delivery in 2022 or 2023) might mean I don’t have enough saved up to get a Tri.

Eye of Elon

First Name
Paul
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Toyota Yaris
Occupation
Driver
Country flag
They have some beefy crossmembers to keep those composite wrapped motors from tearing apart the rear end.
Tesla Cybertruck Cybertruck Plaid tesla-model-s-plaid

My question is, would the super strong exoskeleton let them just plug the plaid motors into a Cybertruck without a lot of fuss?

akcoyote

First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2018 Model S; Dual motor CT w/FSD reservation
Occupation
retired
Country flag
Personally, I doubt there will be a plaid CT as the only "performance" metrics commonly associated with trucks is towing and load carrying capacities. And CT already has impressive numbers in those categories.

Further the 0-60 time of the tri-motor variant is already very impressive for a truck.

Jhodgesatmb

First Name
Jack
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.arbor-studios.com
Vehicles
Tesla Model Y LR, Tesla Model 3 LR
Occupation
Retired AI researcher
Country flag
Plaid would be a step above Tri.

I’m saving up for a Tri but if they beat the odds (Me, way way down the list, getting delivery in 2022 or 2023) might mean I don’t have enough saved up to get a Tri.
The tri motor power and range are for hauling and towing and the acceleration comes with most electric cars and all tri motors. Whereas I can see luxury options being offered, I cannot fathom the need or desire for more power or acceleration than the tri motor. 6,000+ pounds at 2.9 sec 0-60? That could be downright scary as it is.

Dawgfan

First Name
Peter
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
JL Jeep, Chevy S10, Infiniti Q60
Country flag
We will see Cybertruck trailer loads sitting in the street everywhere as we accelerate out from under our loads. The Cybertruck should come standard with trailer tie downs in the sail wing storage area.

OP
OP

Ranulf

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tri motor
Country flag
I’m sure the acceleration is limited in trailer mode, haha.

Folks forget the F150 Raptor and other performance trucks. They exist, and its not far outside the realm of possibility for Tesla to do the same. The 2.9 second 0-60 is a by product of its all electric 3 motor design, and they probably tweak it to go faster if they wanted to.

Crissa

First Name
Crissa
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2014 Zero S, 2013 Mazda 3
Country flag

CyberMoose

First Name
Jacob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Model 3
Country flag
So I believe that the Trimotor will be plaid.

We have to assume that the names of the trims are going to change from single, dual, and tri. My best guess is single is going to be standard and might even be discontinued in the future if the demand distribution doesn't change after deliveries start. Dual would be the long range model and Tri would be plaid.

There are a couple things that lead me to this conclusion. First is my assumption that the Cybertruck will be one of the higher end models of Tesla. They have the S and then the more affordable 3, then they have the X and the more affordable Y. Either Tesla makes a smaller and affordable version of the Cybertruck, which would fit in with what they did with the S/3 and X/Y, or they just have the Cybertruck which would already make sense to have a plaid version.

Another reason why I think the Trimotor will be plaid is because if it isn't, what are they going to do to make a plaid model? Elon has said before that his daily driver will be a Plaid Cybertruck. The Tri will already do 0-60 in 2.9 seconds which beats a Model S LR, is .3 seconds behind a Model X plaid, and only .901 seconds behind a Model S plaid. I don't think a 4th motor is going to put much additional benefit over 3 motors, 500+ miles range is probably close to the maximum, if not the maximum already in terms of space.

So without the arguement of "there won't be a Plaid Cybertruck", what could Tesla to make a plaid Cybertruck that's even better than the current trimotor.
Sponsored