SickNick550

First Name
Nick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Sierra 1500
Country flag
FSD is going to assist with crash avoidance for pedestrians, cyclists, trashcans and such. Does anyone know what size an object has to be for a Tesla to react and brake/avoid? Will it aggressively stop for a squirrel, bouncing ball, or small dog? What if a bird flies in front of the vehicle? I have only test driven a Model X and have a CT on order so I am pretty curious.
Sponsored

Cyber_Dav

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Toyota Siennas (2)
Country flag
In the only test I saw (YT video of smart summon), it would stop for small traffic cones, but just ran over cups of water.

For more precise answers I think you will have to wait and see. :unsure:

Cyber1qhorsey

First Name
MARK
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
FORD Expedition, Escape, Jeep Grand Cherokee
Occupation
Retired
Country flag
FSD is attempting to solve 'edge' cases while auto-steering. The example above is that it will identify curbs, traffic cones, people, but probably can't solve cups, bottles, glass, rocks, squirrels, etc. Summon is clever but not terribly intelligent. How will we ever be able to trust FSD solving all the edge cases encountered at 25 to 615 mph.? Are we to trust our lives and other's to something that is 'just alright'?

Saskateam

First Name
Aron
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
1995 Jeep YJ, 2019 Jeep Cherokee, Cybertruck Tri-motor
Occupation
Operating Manager Power Lineman
Country flag
At 615mph I want a computer handling the steering. I am quick but not that quick.
I want FSD for everyone just to know something is driving the other vehicles. Right now I am not sure the brain is engaged in the other vehicle with there music cranked, cell phone in hand, eating a burger and looking at themselves in the mirror while driving.

Cyber1qhorsey

First Name
MARK
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Retired
Country flag
"I want FSD for everyone just to know something is driving the other vehicles"
That won't happen in next 15 years (my lifetime).

Cyber1qhorsey

First Name
MARK
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Retired
Country flag
"You provided an excellent example why AI should drive."

Haha, It's true that FSD will eventually not even let a drunk or stoned driver start the car... That's great! But getting back to current day TESLAs, in the wild, most of the joy of having a Cybertruck will be in driving it on and off the roads, even off the beaten path, perhaps with other owners, like our community emerging here. Let's go cybertruckin! FSD or AP just helps you get 'there' more safely. There is no imaginable world where I wouldn't want to be able to take control of the CT at a moments notice... Because, face it, FSD CAN'T solve all the 'edgy' situations facing drivers out there.

OP
OP

SickNick550

First Name
Nick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Sierra 1500
Country flag
I like all the comments. My OP was geared more toward when CT and FSD would start “fearing a collision” and brake for me. I wonder if it will react to a small moving object (cat, dog or squirrel) more than the stationary cup of water.

Probably will just have to be patient and see.

Cody the cat

First Name
Richard
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
1967 Mercury Monterey
Occupation
Artist
Country flag
At 615mph I want a computer handling the steering. I am quick but not that quick.
I want FSD for everyone just to know something is driving the other vehicles. Right now I am not sure the brain is engaged in the other vehicle with there music cranked, cell phone in hand, eating a burger and looking at themselves in the mirror while driving.
You forgot to add applying makeup and searching through the glovebox.

Cody the cat

First Name
Richard
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
1967 Mercury Monterey
Occupation
Artist
Country flag
This says a lot of positive about your driving skills while traveling thru a hostel environment.
Maybe we should customize the paint on your current vehicles for higher visibility and add the unbelievably loud and glass shattering air horn.
Or just a cow guard like a locomotive. You would win .... just saying
Haha

Jhodgesatmb

First Name
Jack
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.arbor-studios.com
Vehicles
Tesla Model Y LR, Tesla Model 3 LR
Occupation
Retired AI researcher
Country flag
"I want FSD for everyone just to know something is driving the other vehicles"
That won't happen in next 15 years (my lifetime).
What makes you say that? It must be informed by more than I am currently aware because a lot of work is being done on connected cars, which allows the FSD car to know what other cars (driver or driverless) are doing. I do not know the time horizon of deploying these capabilities but the technology required is mature.

Cyber1qhorsey

First Name
MARK
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Retired
Country flag
What makes you say that? It must be informed by more than I am currently aware because a lot of work is being done on connected cars, which allows the FSD car to know what other cars (driver or driverless) are doing. I do not know the time horizon of deploying these capabilities but the technology required is mature.
It's a nice notion, that your CT might be communicating with other vehicles, but yikes, the computational load might go badly exponential. Many unsolvable 'edge' cases exist which are not communicating. Say, for example, that 8 pt. buck staring at you!

Jhodgesatmb

First Name
Jack
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.arbor-studios.com
Vehicles
Tesla Model Y LR, Tesla Model 3 LR
Occupation
Retired AI researcher
Country flag
Using the current Tesla approach of ML for everything yes, it would be a combinatoric problem of elephantine proportions. But people are not brought to our knees with all of what is going on around us because we filter out things that aren't important and focus on the events that 'are important. A buck isn't a problem if it is on the other side of a fence, but it might be a problem if it is on the shoulder. What I am suggesting is an integration of ML and event-based reasoning. If Tesla is recognizing things in the environment then that information could be handled by an event-based reasoning system and would not be combinatoric in the sense that you are speaking of.
Sponsored