Diehard

First Name
D
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Olds Aurora V8, Saturn Sky redline, Lightning, CT2
Country flag
I am looking at Electric Bikes that are 80 Ib - 90 lb and not fold-able. The idea of just rolling them up in back of CT and closing the vault while they are standing makes CT that much more attractive. I am thinking even a typical rigid fork bike height is around 42". The highest point of vault at best could be around 37" (more likely 34"). Am I dreaming or is there a convenient way to make this happen?
Sponsored

John K

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Volt, CT reserve day 2
Country flag
How many bikes do you want to typically store? I do not think vertical would work.

I would put in a simple rack catching both tires, simple clamp on tires that will allow the bike to load vertical and then lean at 45 degrees or so to fit under the tonneau cover. I would also take into consideration to charge the bikes with adding conduit t ease plugging into truck when rack is added/removed from truck bed.

An alternative concept, Attach a extendable locking bar from the L-slots to lock bike in vertical and then to lean. Adding arms on both sides should be able to accommodate two bikes if loaded offsetting handlebars. This approach can use a lightweight solution. Also, the bar could lock the bike in place in case you want to walk away with the tonneau cover open.

Wish I knew a better solution.

Crissa

First Name
Crissa
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2014 Zero S, 2013 Mazda 3
Country flag
I don't know that bikes will fit standing in the vault.

I've probably going to try different solutions... like tow-hitch rack that lifts them off the ground but doesn't get in the way of cargo, to trailer cradles that lock the wheels to the deck.

That's one reason why I am hoping for slots in the deck.

-Crissa

Ogre

First Name
Dennis
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Model Y
Country flag
You are not going to be able to keep the bike vertical in the bed. Laying down the bike should work though.

My plan is when I want secure transport to haul my mountain bikes laying down in the bed. I’m hoping I can get 2 flat in there, one should be no problem. I sure hope this works well without risk of damaging the bikes because bike storage in the vault is one of the big reasons I’m wanting this truck. Not just for security, but also, the current setup on my Model Y robs a great deal of range.

I plan on keeping a multi-slot bike rack in the under-vault storage or frunk (maybe some pieces in each) for when I have more than just a couple bikes (going places with friends mostly).

Crissa

First Name
Crissa
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2014 Zero S, 2013 Mazda 3
Country flag
I can put two flat in my Mazda, you should be able to do that in the Cybertruck ^-^. Without the tangling.

-Crissa

Ogre

First Name
Dennis
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Model Y
Country flag
I can put two flat in my Mazda, you should be able to do that in the Cybertruck ^-^. Without the tangling.
The only question mark is closing the vault cover without catching on the handlebars.

OP
OP
Diehard

Diehard

First Name
D
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
I don't know that bikes will fit standing in the vault.

I've probably going to try different solutions... like tow-hitch rack that lifts them off the ground but doesn't get in the way of cargo, to trailer cradles that lock the wheels to the deck.

That's one reason why I am hoping for slots in the deck.

-Crissa
I think you are correct. I was hoping for a super lazy solution but I think if I take out the front tire and seat post, I could close the vault. kinda like this rotated 180 degrees without front wheel.

Tesla Cybertruck eBike in Vault 1628113484596

or something like this rotated 180 with forks locked to the ground:

Tesla Cybertruck eBike in Vault 1628113816382

OP
OP
Diehard

Diehard

First Name
D
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
How many bikes do you want to typically store? I do not think vertical would work.

I would put in a simple rack catching both tires, simple clamp on tires that will allow the bike to load vertical and then lean at 45 degrees or so to fit under the tonneau cover. I would also take into consideration to charge the bikes with adding conduit t ease plugging into truck when rack is added/removed from truck bed.

An alternative concept, Attach a extendable locking bar from the L-slots to lock bike in vertical and then to lean. Adding arms on both sides should be able to accommodate two bikes if loaded offsetting handlebars. This approach can use a lightweight solution. Also, the bar could lock the bike in place in case you want to walk away with the tonneau cover open.

Wish I knew a better solution.
Two bikes.

Do you think I could charge while the truck is moving and motors using the battery?>

I think I may have to consider leaning the bikes as you suggested but since they are heavy (with batteries in) the solution have to be robust to handle bumps without damage.

Ogre

First Name
Dennis
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Model Y
Country flag
Two bikes.

Do you think I could charge while the truck is moving and motors using the battery?>

I think I may have to consider leaning the bikes as you suggested but since they are heavy (with batteries in) the solution have to be robust to handle bumps without damage.
If you do end up laying them flat on top of each other, I suggest moving blankets to protect them. The only part you really have to worry about breaking is the derailer, but there are a ton of bits like the pedals which can scratch the hell out of the frame if you aren’t careful.

OP
OP
Diehard

Diehard

First Name
D
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
The only question mark is closing the vault cover without catching on the handlebars.
If the question is about width (height when laid down) of handlebars, it can be reduced by turning the wheel 30 degrees (45 if the front wheels are removed). I put two mountain bikes (not heavy electric bikes) in a Subaru laid down or stand up with wheels off all the time. I am just hoping for lazy solutions to minimize effort and time.

Jhodgesatmb

First Name
Jack
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.arbor-studios.com
Vehicles
Tesla Model Y LR, Tesla Model 3 LR
Occupation
Retired AI researcher
Country flag
I am looking at Electric Bikes that are 80 Ib - 90 lb and not fold-able. The idea of just rolling them up in back of CT and closing the vault while they are standing makes CT that much more attractive. I am thinking even a typical rigid fork bike height is around 42". The highest point of vault at best could be around 37" (more likely 34"). Am I dreaming or is there a convenient way to make this happen?
Where do you get that 34"-37" number? I just looked at the drawing from the other discussion and if the bed in that drawing is 78" then it looks like the distance from the bottom of the bed to where the tonneau comes out is about 2/3 of that size, or about 52". If we are all just guessing, anyway, why not guess in a more positive direction?

Ogre

First Name
Dennis
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Model Y
Country flag
Where do you get that 34"-37" number? I just looked at the drawing from the other discussion and if the bed in that drawing is 78" then it looks like the distance from the bottom of the bed to where the tonneau comes out is about 2/3 of that size, or about 52". If we are all just guessing, anyway, why not guess in a more positive direction?
Mountain bike handlebars are only 28-31 inches and when you lay them down they will be at an angle so it’s likely this isn’t an issue for this discussion regardless.

The only wildcard is bikes are weird shapes and “stacking“ them can do weird things.

I’ve heard the ~36” number elsewhere too. I’m personally not sure what it is, the bike thing and camping at the two big reasons I’d be concerned with it and I think that should be enough.

Edit:

Tesla Cybertruck eBike in Vault 1628120673633

Considering we know the bottom of the window is likely 20” or less, Looks like the window is about 12” tall, add another 4” above it… 34-38 inches seems like a decent swag to me. 54” seems pretty unlikely. That would put the window at more than 2 feet tall!

Other folks have estimated it with math and triangles And come up with similar estimates.

As you say we won’t know for certain until it ships!

Last edited:
OP
OP
Diehard

Diehard

First Name
D
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
I did a 3D model a while back based on the dimensions of the original CT. 34.5" is if the floor is flat and 38" if it is sloped (assuming vault cover and floor thickness is zero). Of course this is home made not Tesla produced drafting and I am sure there are some inaccuracies somewhere but I am sure 52" is wishful thinking. It does sound mighty nice if it was true though.

Tesla Cybertruck eBike in Vault 1628125920624
Sponsored