Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Dual Motor CT, '06 Ford F250 Super Duty, '18 Model 3 Dual Motor, '08 Subaru STI
Occupation
Aerospace Engineer
Country flag
One of the questions that I have been thinking about is the Overall Handling. Due to the size & weight, what is the suspension going to do while turning? Is there going to be a heavy lean like the older American cars from the 60’s and 70’s or will the computer attempt to balance the truck?

In the video they were doing some aggressive turning “off road”. It was not noticeable in the grass as much, but it was notable in the dirt at the Texas Gigafactory in Austin. Maybe it was the angle of the ground while making an aggressive turn at the same time.

Thoughts?

0AF6A1C6-79CA-46C1-B536-D4AD13F5500C.jpeg
I expect the handling to be unprecedented for a pick up both on and off road. If you have driven a Tesla, you know the feeling of the car being planted to the road. BEV are heavier then their ICE counterparts, but the low CG of the batteries significantly reduce body roll. Even with a steel body, the batteries will dominate the weight distribution. Specifically for a ICE pick up, the weight is significantly imbalanced towards the front, where as a BEV's CG will be very near center body, which is huge. Add in Adaptive Air Suspension and you have a jack of all trades, whether crouched through the twisties on road or flogging at full ground clearance over Baja trails. Or maybe more practically when self leveling for hauling a heavy load.
Sponsored

Sanzpeur

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Dual Motor CT, '06 Ford F250 Super Duty, '18 Model 3 Dual Motor, '08 Subaru STI
Occupation
Aerospace Engineer
Country flag
Footage from Tesla showroom - on the TV.

So awesome to see this beast in real action. Can't let Rivian and Hummer have all the fun with their crab walks and tank turns.

happy intruder

First Name
O. K.
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Model 3 Jun 2019..... Model S Jan 2020
Occupation
Retired
Country flag
Ewwww… door handles.

Hoping the suspension can be set to tighter performance on street. BTW, seems like whoever suggested recording the video just wanted to play with the truck in Texas.
and no mirrors....hahahaha

FutureBoy

First Name
Reginald
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Toyota Sienna
Occupation
Financial Advisor
Country flag
Nice video of the CT. Some of the footage would appear to have been shot back when we were seeing the original prototype at the Giga Texas plant a long while back. Some shots really did look like CGI.

And I could imagine someone recording the video sereptitiously off some pad that was not supposed to allow the video to be released yet. But you know, things leak. If it's not a leak, then just give us the actual video without the annoying reflections etc.

But then, what was with the seemingly unrelated shot at the very end? Is this supposed to be some hidden clue about some other future vehicle or something?

Tesla Cybertruck New Official Cybertruck Footage - Shot by Tesla in NYC & Gigafactory 1634868683424

Deleted member 12457

This video is from at least a month, maybe two, ago. They're showing Austin plant with a lot of the building not even enclosed or roofs finished. Austin has almost the entire outside wall finsihed and except for a small section, the entire roof is done. In other words an old video that doesn't doesn't necessarily mean anything.

TyPope

First Name
Ty
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'18 F150, '23 MY, '24 CT, '23 Maveric hybrid soon
Occupation
Operations Planner
Country flag
One of the questions that I have been thinking about is the Overall Handling. Due to the size & weight, what is the suspension going to do while turning? Is there going to be a heavy lean like the older American cars from the 60’s and 70’s or will the computer attempt to balance the truck?

In the video they were doing some aggressive turning “off road”. It was not noticeable in the grass as much, but it was notable in the dirt at the Texas Gigafactory in Austin. Maybe it was the angle of the ground while making an aggressive turn at the same time.

Thoughts?

0AF6A1C6-79CA-46C1-B536-D4AD13F5500C.jpeg
This thing isn't e final version and probably has a lot of components underneath that are from other vehicles. Tesla probably has just finished th engineering for it and this prototype was way too early to have complete running gear. I mean, they don't even have the pressed to cast the rear end or front end yet, for instance.

Bill906

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Jeep
Country flag
Nice video of the CT. Some of the footage would appear to have been shot back when we were seeing the original prototype at the Giga Texas plant a long while back. Some shots really did look like CGI.

And I could imagine someone recording the video sereptitiously off some pad that was not supposed to allow the video to be released yet. But you know, things leak. If it's not a leak, then just give us the actual video without the annoying reflections etc.

But then, what was with the seemingly unrelated shot at the very end? Is this supposed to be some hidden clue about some other future vehicle or something?

1634868683424.png
I believe the video was playing on a monitor in a Tesla dealership showroom. My guess is it just loops thru a bunch of promotional videos and the next video after the CT was a Model S.

OP
OP
futureproof

futureproof

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Cybertruck
Country flag
I believe the video was playing on a monitor in a Tesla dealership showroom. My guess is it just loops thru a bunch of promotional videos and the next video after the CT was a Model S.
Yes, in the description of the YT video the original poster explains that they were at a showroom and used their phone to record a video playing on the tv on the wall. That's why in the first few seconds you can see the frame of the Panasonic TV as he frames up the tv with his phone, as well as the glare from the ceiling lights behind him.

It probably is quite old, and is not a leak or meant to be a recent teaser. It's simply promo footage produced by Tesla that evidently has not been seen on youtube until now.

Jhodgesatmb

First Name
Jack
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.arbor-studios.com
Vehicles
Tesla Model Y LR, Tesla Model 3 LR
Occupation
Retired AI researcher
Country flag
It’s great footage, but I’m a little bummed that this is clearly the older truck. Wish they’d released this months ago when it was filmed.

A lot of the action shots will be completely different in the production truck with 4 wheel steering. I’d love to see the 4 wheel steering version chucking mud like this.

Good to see, also some nice footage of the factory and gigapress.
Wouldn't using 4-wheel steering at high speed screw up things?

Ogre

First Name
Dennis
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Model Y
Country flag
Wouldn't using 4-wheel steering at high speed screw up things?
The way 4 wheel steering works it changes behavior as you get past a certain speed for exactly that reason. When you are going 70 miles per hour you usually don’t want a super tight turn radius.

John K

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Volt, CT reserve day 2
Country flag
Slow counter steer. Fast turn in same direction. Both instances, greatly reduced turn degrees for the back tires.

which means, there is a sweet spot speed where the back tires will not turn.

Mini2nut

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2019 Tacoma TRD Pro
Country flag
Will the production reveal happen on November 21, 2021? It will be the 2-year anniversary of the livestream reveal of the Cybertruck.
Sponsored