Reginald
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Toyota Sienna
Occupation
Financial Advisor
Country flag
I once thought that the front and rear castings could be the same but it doesn't make sense. The rear casting requires the 8K-ton gigapress because it has to be much beefier to hold the weight of the bed and for towing; the front doesn't.
I agree the rear has that requirement. But if the intent is to kick ass in Baja, the front may need to be similarly strong. It wouldn’t surprise me if Elon’s personal passion project had been engineered for specifications well beyond what we might expect. Not saying it’s true, just that it wouldn’t surprise me.
Sponsored

HaulingAss

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2010 F-150, 2018 Model 3 P, FS DM Cybertruck
Country flag
The specs and price of the ct keep going up but at about the same rate as the stock price. I'm taking a "let tsla decide which truck i can afford" tactic. So far i've worked my way from single motor to tri motor so my fingers are crossed but I'm going to have a hard time justifying a 100k vehicle to myself.
What? Tesla raised the price without telling me? When did the price go up?

HaulingAss

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
now he is pricing people out of the truck....for those of us with CT3 reservations, we are now going to be pushed out another year or so.....what a fuc*ing way to run a railroad....take money on a design, then drop one line add another, add cost and add wait time.....don't know about you guys, but I am starting to get depressed and discouraged real fast...this event, if true, may just "drive" me away
Nothing is stopping you from collecting your whopping $100 and leaving. It's a miniscule drop in the bucket compared to the $100 million of his own money and nearly 20 years of hard work Elon used to make this happen. No one is forcing you to remain interested.

Maybe you could run a transformative EV auto/truck manufacturing outfit more effectively. Let me know when you have product ready.

fritter63

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2018 Model 3 LR, 2019 Model 3 SR+
Occupation
Retired Software Engineer, Woodworker and guitar builder extraordinaire
Country flag
I am depressed.

HaulingAss

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
[

I know you like beating your chest for Tesla and CT but you missed my point. I am not saying CT will not be the best overall truck out there when it comes out. I am saying that goal may be the reason some of us may not be around to enjoy it when it does come out. Rivian has something CT does not have. The ability to be in some owner's driveways.
Nope. I'm not beating my chest as a cheerleader; I'm beating my chest because I see so much misguided thinking here by people who have no clue what is really going on. By 2024 there will more people that own and drive an EV pickup due to Tesla making them a truck than the combined number of people driving F-150 Lightnings and Rivian RT's. It won't be because the other two options are flops, it will be because they have not made as many of them. That's what people don't get and yet it should be obvious to anyone who follows this industry.

That's why I don't understand your strange claim that somehow being the best truck precludes it's ability to be quickly manufactured in high numbers. Additionally, I don't see ANY Rivian's in people's driveways, so I don't know what you are talking about there either. It's baffling.

Please look at what you are saying and what you are basing it on. It seems the logical part of your brain is being controlled by irrational emotions with no real basis in fact.

HaulingAss

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
They have e given delivery windows (2 months) to all LE reservation holders March to September. The rest should get their windows by end of the month
Elon said production is hard and that is not unique to Tesla. I hope you understand that. This is not Rivian's first delay on projected timelines (more like their third or fourth) and it's very unlikely to be their last. Limited Edition reservations are a tiny minority of all Rivian reservations. When you see how this plays out finally, come 2023, you will finally understand the wisdom of what I was talking about.

Tesla is, by far, the most likely manufacturer to bring pure EV trucks to the people in meaningful volumes, the most quickly.

HaulingAss

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
The new ICE trucks amaze me with the available tech compared to say 10 yrs ago.
No doubt the features and creature comforts on the latest ICE offerings have increased greatly in the last decade, along with the prices. But that's not the kind of technology I was talking about, under the skin it's the same old truck with beefier stiffeners added and more powerful engines mated to transmissions with more gears than ever. The basic design hasn't changed in over 100 years.

Cybertruck changes all that. It's the first revolutionary redesign of the American pickup in over a century.

Anyone can add a driver's work desk, more cupholders, convenient foot-steps and re-configured tailgates you can clamp lumber to for sawing. Those things are not transformative in the same way as re-imagining the entire structure and the material it is built of. And replacing the ICE engine and multi-speed transmission with real torque at all motor speeds.

ricinro

First Name
Rich
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Tesla MY, 2001 ford Sportrac
Occupation
mech design engineer-ret.
Country flag
[

I know you like beating your chest for Tesla and CT but you missed my point. I am not saying CT will not be the best overall truck out there when it comes out. I am saying that goal may be the reason some of us may not be around to enjoy it when it does come out. Rivian has something CT does not have. The ability to be in some owner's driveways.
How many rivians or other EV trucks could be in folks driveways in 12 months? 24 months? 36 months? Now consider Tesla's manufacturing output in that same time frame.... Tesla will put far more CT into driveways than the others combined by the time they get to full product 24 months from now.

Tesla watched other EV makers lay down their cards and did what redesign they could as they concurrently design and build the factory. Tesla knew that the CT production would be pushed back because of supply constraints and the time it takes to build factories.

Remember when Musk told us he would show us the design last december? But he didn't.

I wouldn't be surprised if there were a few "first Principles" meetings when designing four wheel steering into the CT.

Possibilities:

FSD required tighter turning radius due to CT size (getting in and out of tight spaces- including superchargers)

The castings and a common steering suspension(with pneumatics) made independent wheel motors cost effective.

Using the same motors as used in M3/MY because you can have 4 instead of 3.

The suspension can be much smarter as the FSD software can see the road for predictive suspension.

moving motors towards wheels made more space for the battery between the motors.

HaulingAss

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
So now we know how they are going to get around not honoring the preorders. By producing the 4 motor version for a couple years until people get tired of waiting for cheaper versions. My bet is it will land somewhere around $90k. There are definitely enough people out there with money to spend to keep production of this version busy for a couple years. I really think this is the strategy. Make a version that no one has been able to order so that you don't have to honor the orders. Seems to line up with a lot of the nonsense that has come out of Tesla in the last couple years. But I guess when you have almost unlimited demand you can get away with it.

It seems like Tesla has deviated from the original mission of getting people into the best affordable EVs to get the world more green and now its make the most record breaking, mold breaking, bad ass cars in the world because they have the demand for it. Honestly, its making me lose respect for them. I have been saving and I could probably stretch to afford a $90k truck if I really wanted to, but I am not that truck guy that needs a showy, sub 3 sec., crab walking, truck. I am happy with a great $50k EV truck that gets the job done.

I could be wrong and maybe they will produce more reasonable versions in a reasonable time frame. I know Elon has said that this is one of his favorite projects and he wants to make it the best truck out there and there is some serious competition now. I guess we will just have to wait until the earning call to learn more.
The F-150 Lightnings that people actually take delivery of in the first year, most of them will be around $80K to over $90K with inferior specs to cheaper Cybertrucks. You lament higher prices without any confirmation from Tesla. Seems like you are putting the cart before the horse.

HaulingAss

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
Looks like reservations (and most likely) sequence is still going to be honored...

7c9847db0732fcb87802b41126a21e387c726cc5c698c071fbbeff7e5db62b44.jpeg
Why are you bringing facts directly from the CEO into this thread?

This is the fantasy thread for moaners and complainers, we don't need no stinkin' facts! If you keep this up, you will turn us all into a fact-based, one big happy family.

Where's the fun in that?

Last edited:

HaulingAss

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
HERE IS THE ISSUE.

Note the wording.... Initial production will be 4 motor variant, with independent, ultra fast response torque control of each wheel.

So if you have a Tri-Motor on order, like I do, maybe the 4 motor version is the only thing made in 2023 and 2024....and the price is $99,000

This allows Tesla to get around "not raising the price". They drop the single motor. So that price point is gone. They produce the Quad Motor for the first 2 years, at whatever new price they come up with, and maybe they never produce the dual motor too.

THE PRICE OF THE CYBERTRUCK JUST WENT UP
That's a lot of "maybes" without any factual support. I think it's ridiculous.

Maybe? MAYBE?

Maybe, maybe, crybaby!

HaulingAss

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
Props to that original quad motor poster from a few months ago that everyone shot down!
Hmmm...I didn't notice that everyone shot him down. I saw was mostly enthusiasm for the improvement (two motors for the price of one). I saw some other people question the information given that it couldn't be confirmed. And that should be the standard assumption, always question information without a verifiable source. But, mostly, people found the rumor encouraging.

HaulingAss

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
I’m hoping that as well, but I’m not sure I want to spend $100k on a truck, if that’s what the price turns out to be.
Why do people keep assuming there is some sort of huge price hike all the way up to $100K? It makes no rational sense.
Sponsored