Bob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Cybertruck Tri-motor
Occupation
Realtor
Country flag
Side storage is very useful, I used the storage consistently with my Avalanche.
I’ve seen the avalanche, these wouldn’t be anywhere near as wide or deep looking at the width of the c pillar to the inside of the truck bed, unless they make a conscious effort to integrate storage and narrow the bed or thicken the pillar to do so. In my opinion it’s not really necessary if the under bed truck turns out like the ridgeline. Or even the model Y.
Sponsored

OP
OP
Ogre

Ogre

First Name
Dennis
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Model Y
Country flag
I’ve seen the avalanche, these wouldn’t be anywhere near as wide or deep looking at the width of the c pillar to the inside of the truck bed, unless they make a conscious effort to integrate storage and narrow the bed or thicken the pillar to do so. In my opinion it’s not really necessary if the under bed truck turns out like the ridgeline. Or even the model Y.
Under vault storage is only accessible when the vault is empty which makes it pretty limiting.

No idea how big the sail pillar storage would be, but I don’t think it would have to be huge in order to be useful.

Sirfun

First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Toyota Avalon, Chrysler Pacifica PHEV, Ford E-250
Occupation
Retired Sheet Metal Worker
Country flag
I love it when someone responds sarcastically with no meat behind it to convey the sense they are smart, when actually they are just a smart_a$$. Actually my statement does explain it, but you have to read between the line. The rounded edges do help maintain flow attachment for shapes that are not ideal, while all the extra curves are additionally an aesthetic thing. The dominant perfect shape is a spear. The further you get from that, the more small things you need to help with the aero. I do computational fluid dynamics for a living, so I know what I'm talking about. Cybertruck design was able to get the frontal area small, keep the overall shape nearer to ideal for a vehicle, while having the sharp edges. If they took every sharp edge and rounded them further, that vehicle would look like the solar competition cars if you really think about it. Then it would be at the total ideal shape for a vehicle. But taking one piece of the equation and adding a slight bow to the windshield doesn't do squat for aero in the big picture. All it does is destroy the aesthetic of the angular prismatic vehicle. If you round the windshield, IMO, you might was well get rid of the cyberpunk aesthetic and add rounds and curves to the whole vehicle. You've already blown out the prismatic design aesthetic with the windshield, so then you might as well squeeze out that extra 1 to 2% aero that the total of all curvature would get you.
That windshield is MASSIVE. I find it strange that so many are making such a big deal about aesthetics of it. To me, I worry most about how easily it can be damaged and how much that would hurt my wallet. Curved vs. flat is a major difference in strength! Remember when the CT came out, lots of us were excited about a vehicle built with engineering principles over design. This windshield is an example of that. With curvature in that glass, Tesla is making an engineering decision. It adds strength, which is incredibly important to a piece of glass that big. To make that windshield flat is purely a design choice.
Here's some info on curved vs. flat.
https://planetaryrenewal.org/ipr/engineering.html

OP
OP
Ogre

Ogre

First Name
Dennis
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Model Y
Country flag
That windshield is MASSIVE. I find it strange that so many are making such a big deal about aesthetics of it. To me, I worry most about how easily it can be damaged and how much that would hurt my wallet. Curved vs. flat is a major difference in strength! Remember when the CT came out, lots of us were excited about a vehicle built with engineering principles over design. This windshield is an example of that. With curvature in that glass, Tesla is making an engineering decision. It adds strength, which is incredibly important to a piece of glass that big. To make that windshield flat is purely a design choice.
Here's some info on curved vs. flat.
https://planetaryrenewal.org/ipr/engineering.html
I think people are worried about how tough it’s going to be to keep their curved laser wiper aligned with the window shape.

Sirfun

First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Country flag
I think people are worried about how tough it’s going to be to keep their curved laser wiper aligned with the window shape.
I trust Tesla, over internet sleuths! BTW, you can never please everyone. :)

FutureBoy

First Name
Reginald
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Toyota Sienna
Occupation
Financial Advisor
Country flag
Under vault storage is only accessible when the vault is empty which makes it pretty limiting.

No idea how big the sail pillar storage would be, but I don’t think it would have to be huge in order to be useful.
Thing is that the sails are there for strength as part of the 3mm SS frame/body. So I wonder if it is actually expected that the sail area would get a "door" cut into it to allow access to that area for storage. Seems like the door would remove most of the benefit of having the sail in the first place. I get storage access from the inside would be inconvenient but inconvenient is generally better than structurally unsound.

But I'm not an engineer. So for all I know, they may be able to cut the doors into the sails and still keep enough strength to make it work.

OP
OP
Ogre

Ogre

First Name
Dennis
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Model Y
Country flag
Thing is that the sails are there for strength as part of the 3mm SS frame/body. So I wonder if it is actually expected that the sail area would get a "door" cut into it to allow access to that area for storage. Seems like the door would remove most of the benefit of having the sail in the first place. I get storage access from the inside would be inconvenient but inconvenient is generally better than structurally unsound.

But I'm not an engineer. So for all I know, they may be able to cut the doors into the sails and still keep enough strength to make it work.
Not an engineer either.

It is a feature they mentioned in the launch and something I think would be quite useful. If it gets nixed, I’ll get over it.

Bill906

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Jeep
Country flag

I believe all the talk about sail storage is based on this picture from the reveal:

Tesla Cybertruck ? [Update: NOT Production Wiper] New Cybertruck design spied! Shortened front, no door handles, side mirrors, curved windshield glass! [Dec. 10] 1639685033179

OP
OP
Ogre

Ogre

First Name
Dennis
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Model Y
Country flag
I believe all the talk about sail storage is based on this picture from the reveal:

1639685033179.png
It was mentioned explicitly as well.

Basically a small place to keep tools ? or riding accessories. Without knowing how big it is it’s always been a bit of a mystery. I’d always assumed it was about 8” deep and 4-6 foot long which is long enough for some trail tools and possibly my chainsaw. Basically a nice place to tuck some things I use fairly often when I’d be using the truck.

Sirfun

First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Country flag
It was mentioned explicitly as well.

Basically a small place to keep tools ? or riding accessories. Without knowing how big it is it’s always been a bit of a mystery. I’d always assumed it was about 8” deep and 4-6 foot long which is long enough for some trail tools and possibly my chainsaw. Basically a nice place to tuck some things I use fairly often when I’d be using the truck.
Maybe an aftermarket shower kit, made to fit. :)

OP
OP
Ogre

Ogre

First Name
Dennis
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Model Y
Country flag
Maybe an aftermarket shower kit, made to fit. :)
Someone was talking about using it for water storage. I think it’s a solid idea. Not necessarily a shower kit, but you could probably get several gallons on each side.

Regardless, not a show stopper if it’s gone.

lslick23

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
=-)
Country flag

I have a Honda Ridgeline and I use that trunk almost every day. Most of the time your vault won’t have anything in it unless you build a some sort of an orginizer back there that covers the trunk.

OP
OP
Ogre

Ogre

First Name
Dennis
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Model Y
Country flag
I have a Honda Ridgeline and I use that trunk almost every day. Most of the time your vault won’t have anything in it unless you build a some sort of an orginizer back there that covers the trunk.
I work from home, I don’t drive much and when I do it’s usually getting to/ from trails with my bike or trail work tools. My Model Y has a bike on the hitch receiver about 60% of the time I drive it. If I didn’t need something better for hauling bikes, home construction stuff, and trail building tools, I wouldn’t bother with the truck.

The other thing is, I think a big part of why the Ridgeline under bed storage is so good is because of that side-opening tailgate. If the Cybertruck tailgate doesn’t swing open, I’m worried it’s not going to be as convenient. It’s easy to lift things in and out of that Ridgeline storage, having to lean over a 24” tailgate is going to make it very awkward.

swengl

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Model S, Model Y
Country flag
I would be happy with a roll of flexible solar panel in the frunk that could unroll and stretch over entire truck and a few meters more when CT is parked. It would be much more efficient and safe.
A sunshield and an energy generator would not be a bad idea. You would have to be able to secure it to the CT, someone would for sure try to steal it.
Sponsored